pair valve mounting plate

bch3779

Registered
When I was removing my PAIR system I also removed the plate that mounted it to the motor. It was mounted with two small bolts (threads cast in block) and by 2 larger bolts that mount the bottom of the motor to the top. I know nothing about tearing motors down but was it OK to remove those 2 bolts and re-install them? The bike is practically new with only 1200 miles on it and the bolts were in perfect condition with the thread compound still intact. The reason I ask is that a freind told me I screwed the gasket up but even though I removed the bolts the I noticed no loosening of the seal.

I wondered about that myself. I ended up cutting the mount off with a dremel close to the case, rather than taking the bolt in question out. I had t use the dremel anyway to get the valve out without removing the radiator and/or the headers. If you don't see any oil, you're probably OK. You may want to check it with a torque wrench to make sure it's tight enough, but if it's too tight already, then that's where the danger lies. You might have crushed the gasket, in which case loosening the bolt might cause leaking. Maybe the old adage holds here: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It may be fine just like it is. Oh yeah... good luck getting a torque wrench in there.

not sure...service manual doesn't say
rock.gif

Back