Need help ASAP - engine mount bolt...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
UPDATE:  I got it out...had a friend hitting the end with a hammer while I was tugging at the same time...just needed an extra set of hands.

Of course the bolt is worthless now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fellas,

I'm trying to remove the engine mount bolt to install the Vortex frame slider bolt...

1.  I'm using an allen wrench with a freakin' sledge hammer and it still won't loosen.  Is it opposite...righty loosey?  Just keep pounding?  It's getting scary poundind that hard w/out it moving.

2.  Long bolt on the right or left side?

You will have to have a 1/2" breaker bar with a good stout extention if used. Even a 3/8" bar or ratchet will be too springy to break it properly. Or i have gotten them loose with a cheater pipe on a stout allen wrench or use the box end of a combo wrench! They are tight. You will see what goes where after the removal.
lurk.gif

Or just watch WSB on speed right now and leave it for later! Too windy to ride today anyway!
SHOCKED.gif

(8Daytona8 @ Apr. 15 2007,13:58) You will have to have a 1/2" breaker bar with a good stout extention if used. Even a 3/8" bar or ratchet will be too springy to break it properly. Or i have gotten them loose with a cheater pipe on a stout allen wrench or use the box end of a combo wrench! They are tight. You will see what goes where after the removal.
lurk.gif
I just put some gloves on and practically lifted the bike off the stands...literally. I felt it move only to look closely and see that it has started to round it out...not sure what good any kind of bar/TQ wrench etc. would work at this point...the allen wrench barely catches now!!!

Not familiar with breaker bars, stout extensions, cheater pipe, etc.  Now that the inside of the allen bolt is questionable what is my next best bet?  These things are ridiculously tight.

Not enough TQ isn't the problem. The problem is the metal used to make the allen bolt is weaker than the TQ necessary to remove it. The freakin' thing is round on the outside ...how do I remove this royal PITA!!!

Dear Mr B-king killer!!! You have created a Fugly Mess! I would suggest go watch the races and leave it alone 4 now! Rounded out allen bolts in an aluminum frame is not a good thing. You need to get the next size up in standard or metric that can be driven in tightly and with the right bar it will give up!

The bolts used are made of very good stuff but allen heads will mess up as you know if the right size and straight pressure isn't used.

Back