PAIR removal with exhaust on?

I wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps it can be done but I doubt it. That is why it is best to remove it when you install the new headers. Just save yourself the misery of bloody knuckles and a non-stop barrage of cursing and remove the radiator/fan and headers, then it is easy. You can still do it in one evening or afternoon.

reason why i ask is bcuz the headers was a bitch to get on when i installed. just trying to figure out a way b4 my block-off kit arrive. any1 ever removed PAIR with headers intact?

You can do it with the right tools!

The hardest part is getting at the two bolts that hold the pump to the block. Once you get that out just work everything out. You might have to pull a couple of the tubes off the pump but you should be able to just wiggle it out as one big chunk.

If your hands aren't real flexible and you have kids they can be great help(small hands).

reason why i ask is bcuz the headers was a bitch to get on when i installed. just trying to figure out a way b4 my block-off kit arrive. any1 ever removed PAIR with headers intact?
I know how you feel. I would do anything to avoid removing my headers and installing them again. It was a pain the first time and they are all this way. It also took me quite awhile to hammer and bang them into submission so that they all had proper fit with the collector/midpipe and had even clearance to the fairings and whatnot. I would hate to do it again.

Try it without removing them is all I can say. And good luck, take your time, and have a beer break every so often so as to not go postal (no offense Tom).

Did it about 2 months ago, takes some time, but was able to get it all off without removing the headers. Put a piece of cardboard across the radiator so as not to crush any of the fins.
I also changed the oil at the same time, which was a good thing cause it allowed me to get the pair value out with the oil filter removed.
I actually took the pair valve off the mounting bracket, cause I could not get to the bracket with the valve attached, then removed the bracket after. Worked for me.
With the proper tools, a good small socket wrench, I had little trouble.

Good luck, keep the bandaids handy.

ride safe

i was thinking, if i cant get the whole PAIR unit off, i will probably just remove and plug the lines and leave the PAIR valve itself behind. i know this is half ass work, but im not really worried about a few lbs.

Someone on here just cut the Pair mount off with a dremel instead of trying to get a tool in there, left the bolts there, just cut the stand.

To remove the headers with ease, remove to 2 bolts from the radiator support and push it a lil forward. Then the oil cooler. Then the fan will com out with ease. followed by the headers. Very easy, just have to do a bit more work to have alot less pain. When I received my new exhaust, I had to figure it out on my own. Took about 4 hours to change full exhaust, remove pair valve, install PCII(Super Easy), and do a small air box mod. That was the first time I ever worked on any bike. Since then, I've done everything else. :p

Bought the BDE kit and i have to that was the fastest shiping i ve seen. nice detailed kits. i had no problem removing the PAIR. what i did was disconnect the 4 stainless lines on top of the exhaust ports before i remove the PAIR valve itself. i didnt even have to remove the oil filter for clearance. hope this will help people trying to remove PAIR crap with exhaust intact.

Back