Painting wheels

hayadave

Registered
I have a 2009 Gen2 and was thinking about Painting the wheels Black what is the best paint to use and best way to prepare them for painting.
Also is this a good idea or should i just leave them alone.
I thought about powder coating them but i read somewhere that it can crack after a while, so if i'm going to do this i want to do it right and only do it once if you know what i mean.

many thanks in advance.

I'd do the Powdercoat personally. I've had wheels Powdercoated and it held up great. A few buddies have head wheels and other parts done without issue. Just make sure the coater that's doing it has a good rep. You will have to get the bearings pressed out and replaced, so figure that into your cost. That being said, I prefer powder over paint on wheels.

What color is the bike?

If you find a good quality powder coater those wheels will last 5x's as long as any paint you can use:whistle:

Or find someone to swap stock wheels with you. Many folks here do that.

I might rock silver on my '08.. :whistle:

Iv'e asked this question at least 2x on this and other forums and always get the answer DO NOT paint. DO powdercoat. Wheel finish will chip very easily unless it is a very tough coat like powdercoating. I recall one response where the guy said he had good luck with just spraying the sht out of them with clearcoat after painting but he was the only one to give the green light on paint. Powdercoat is how I am going on my wheels.

hands down "powdercoat" for durability and looks. I painted the wheels for wife's 600 due to match custom color of bike and just painted wheels black for her busa, didn't pc them because will be widening rear. Painting wheels is a PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!!!! Making sure to get proper coverage with etch primer, base color, and clear without runs, drips, or saggs. UGH!!!!!!!!! and i paint for a living, lol.

I've painted a few wheels with great results... Powder coating will never shine like a basecoat/clear coat application but powder coating may be more cost effective unless you already have the paint supplies u need to paint your wheels

I've painted a few wheels with great results... Powder coating will never shine like a basecoat/clear coat application but powder coating may be more cost effective unless you already have the paint supplies u need to paint your wheels
I just powder coated my rims with eastwood high gloss chrome black powder. These are so banging it makes the fresh paint on my bike look dull. BTW you can also use gloss black tool dip spray in a piss can if you put on 5 or 6 coats at $6.78 a can it will run you under $30.00 to do it yourself. Just make sure you clean the heck out of them before your first coat with acidtone. Hint your first coat is for a base coat not to color so don't put it on thick. If you don't like it when you are done just cut and peel it off. See "youtube" for video's

Back