front rotor removal

busa186

Registered
If I am removing my front (and rear) rotors do I have to remove dust seals or anything? I am just removing them to have the wheels painted.

Thanks!

A better looking job may come from removing the seals...but only if you're removing the bearings also. If not removing the internals, leave the seals in and have the shop tape them up, this'll help any over spray from getting on the internals~!~

You can always replace a $4 seal later if needed.

PS: Keep in mind, the seals don't have to be removed for the rotor removal...but some shops will remove to paint.

Last edited:
There are 5-6 bolts holding the rotor to the wheel, very easy to remove. When re-installing, pay attention to torque specs and the order of installation for bolts.

Not required, but a little heat on the bolts will help. If you snap one off, you're hosed. Good luck.

attachment.php?attachmentid=289490.jpg

Hope this doesn't double post. But I removed my wheels (piece of cake) started looking at the sprocket wondering how hard is that to remove....then it just fell off...cool? I guess its suppose to do that? Anyways should I separate the sprocket and paint the hub with the wheels or leave it connected to the sprocket.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can go with either, but personally I thing the hub looks good to match the wheel paint~!~

Ask your shop if he'll paint with the seals and bearings in, probably so but goes with preference...powder coating shops I've dealt with usually makes you remove them due to the heat.

Make sure you remove the spacers from each wheel before you start lugging them around. It would be a real pain in the rear to get your wheels back and not be able to locate the spacers.

Back