Stripped the Black Paint off Rotor

Longstone

Registered
Got some brake part cleaner on my rotors while doing some wheel maintenance. It took a big chunk of the paint off and I realized it didn't look to bad. So I bought some paint stripper and took the black paint off completely.

I'm kinda like how it turned out. And I can always buy some brake rotor paint if I ever want to paint it.

005_small.jpg

Here's what they look like if you do that and then paint them to match. :thumbsup:

Img_0256.jpg

Img_0256.jpg

Something to think about. ???
Not quite sure if the color selection of the rotor mount is by engineering design or not, but ...
(A) a black body (dark color) absorbs thermal energy at a faster rate than say a reflective body (lighter color). With that in mind, a black rotor mount will absorb heat from the rotor and a lighter color will reflect the heat.
(B) black surfaces radiate energy at a faster rate than a reflective surface. With that in mind, a black mount will disperse heat from the rotor quicker than a lighter color.

You've probably noticed this effect while wearing your favorite black T-shirt on a sunny day.

This is why the there are two different color tiles on the space shuttle; white tiles on the top to reflect the energy from the sun and black on the bottom to quickly absorb and dissipate the heat generated during reentry.

I appreciate that information.

Luckily my busa is a commute bike, and see's very little high performance action.

That's exactly what I want to do. I was actually using your bike as a reference when I decided to do it.

Which paint did you use? And did you just tape off the rotor to paint it?

First to admit I don't know all that much about paint. So I had the professionals do it.

My brake rotors were painted by Race Ready. Same folks that also color matched the mirrors if you look closely at that photo and best mod ever... the sanded smooth and color matched painted inner dash panels.

http://www.raceready.us/

They'll paint them for $60 each rotor, and $65 for mirror/exchange according to the site.

blue_rotors.jpg

blue_rotors.jpg

really nice, as for the color info I did not know that but it makes sence, I have seen school buses here in florida with whit tops but the rest of them the school bus yellow color. well I learned something today I am good for the year.

Back