Painting my helmet

Ludicrous Speed

Registered
I have decided to paint my Arai Rx7RR4 helmet this winter. Gonna probably go with matching colors of my 04 blk/purple.

My deal is this: There are three vents on the top, and you are able to see quite a way into them. I fear that I will not be able to shoot paint or clear down in far enough that you wouldn't see the overspray edge. Should I try and remove them, or quit trying to be a picky-ass?

Also, anyone have a line on any stencils of the Busa Kanji? I am thinking of using my chrome paint to paint them on, vs using a sticker.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

I have heard that painting a helmet can actually cause it to lose its integrity.

I do helments....let me suggest you completely gut the helment and take off the vents. I have the stencils and diecuts of any type of Busa emblem you like just PM me....anymore questions....Mick

I have heard that painting a helmet can actually cause it to lose its integrity.
Yep. The wrong chemicals can break down the structural integrity of the shell.. I doubt anyone other than the manufacturer knows what exactly makes up the shell and what chemicals may have adverse effects on it.
Actually helmets have a life span of 5 years because they naturally break down over time from age and UV rays.

I guess if you ground it down to the raw laminate, it could.

I would have to venture a guess that it doesn't, or custom helmets would not be allowed in professional motorsports. IE: NHRA, Nascar, motocross, etc.

Creekboy, I will be in touch soon, thanks!
thumbs-up.gif

Also, anyone have a line on any stencils of the Busa Kanji?  I am thinking of using my chrome paint to paint them on, vs using a sticker.

Any other suggestions appreciated.
Make your own stencils.  It's quite easy to do (if you cheat)
smile.gif

1) Print a picture of the Kanji.  I attached the one I used to mask off my cans.  

2) Tape it behind a clear pane of glass.  I have a sheet of lexan I use, but a sliding glass door works well.  

3) Apply blue masking tape to the front side of the glass to cover the entire Kanji.  Hint: keep the tape in one direction and slightly overlap the tape working from left to right (or right to left if you prefer).

4) Shine light from the back of the glass through the picture.  If you are using a sliding glass door, this works great during the day but is kind of tough at night
smile.gif

5) You will be able to see the Kanji through the tape.  Take a marker and trace the outline of the Kanji.

6) Peel the tape off of the window as a single sheet and paste it a sheet of wax paper.

7) Cut out the Kanji by following the lines you traced.  The Hayabusa Kanji is 3 pieces.

8) When you are ready to use it, peel it off of the wax paper and apply it to whatever you are painting.

To use it on your helmet application, first paint the areas where you want the Kanji with the color you want the Kanji.  Let it set up according to the paint manufacturer.  Apply the mask you created above.  Paint the rest of the helmet.  Let that setup.  Peel the mask, and you have your Kanji painted instead of a decal.

<!--EDIT|DennisH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136082062 -->

bg_2SS.jpg

smile.gif

Back