Orient Express Clutch Mod ?

OB_XLRR8

Registered
Has anyone tried the Orient Express spacer type clutch mod they have? How does it work if you have? Any problems yet?

Just curious,
XLRR8

I have the mod from Skip it is not the same as the Brock but I think he does that as well. The mod is spacer that engages the dogs and keeps them from going in and out.It includes heavier springs as well. I think it works pretty well but I have not ridden the Brock mod. I do have major chatter when trying to launch(didnt you Frank) I think they are unrelated but I have not gotten into it yet. If anyone has had chatter and fixed it please let me know.Orients mod is cheaper and you can go to stock if you have to.

Heres My deal:

I have a TRUE 100% lockup with a billit basket.

Since nobody has anything close to it, I started out with too heavy of springs and could not slip/slide the clutch to finesse it out of the hole.(starting line)

I put weaker springs in and it was better but still not what I needed.
So now I've spaced the snowflake part of the lockup out some to reduce spring tenion even more.

My goal is for the clutch to slip somewhat coming out of the hole and then lockup at a certain rpm. That can be dialed in by adding weight to the snowflake.(washers)

I didn't get much of a chance to see how well it works because the chain blew off on My first pass. Parts are on the way and I HOPE to be testing by saturday evening!

I've seen five different clutch mods for the Busa and from what I've seen the one I have is superior to all of them. The other four use the stock basket one way or another.

Don't get Me wrong, the other ones do what there suppose to.
It's just a matter of what your after with a clutch mod.

Brock, I installed yours yesterday, put some miles on her today In my opinion is that for a stock engine your mod is the way. I did notice harder lever pull, themotorhead and JohnnyCheese both told me to go to heavy springs instead of the spacers. Your comments, please?

"30mm 1/2 drive socket owner!!!"

Brock,
From what I know about the clutch mods that Tony is doing...like the one in Gary Wardowski's Turbo Busa that you built the motor in, it's totally different from My clutch setup.

Pretty much what Tony did in Gary's bike is almost like useing your basket with a lockup.

I have less than $250 in the one I have.

I bet it's not much different than the one in your Bandit, except for the trick "consistant spacers"?

JohnnyCheese also suggested putting the spacers BELOW the springs instead of on top---I havent tried it but comments please.

KH

The BDE clutch mod is perfect for normally asperated stock Busa's. It allows you to launch your bike smoothly without pogoing/jerking, like so with the stock clutch.

All clutch's slip to some degree. Usually between shifts!
That eats up "et" #'s at the dragstrip.(slower times)

Some people try to add more spring pressure(heavier springs) to take away some of that "slip". And since the Busa has a cheap asss sprocket cover, you can't put too much pressure in there without cracking it!

My lockup has fingers/arms that press against the clutch pack and the more rpm's the motor turns it's gonna keep the clutch from sliping. The more weight you add to those fingers, the sooner the clutch is going to lockup.

The idea situation in My case is to have the clutch slip a little coming out of the hole, keeping the motor from bogging, spinning the tire, keeping the front wheel on the ground.

Being able to add weight gives you the ability to dial your clutch in and know it's NOT going to slip.

It really helps when your trying to finesse off the line!

Yes you CAN use a lockup on the street. Lockups are like normal clutchs untill the rpm's start to climb.

Frank what does a lock up clutch do compaired to a stock clutch with the Brock mod ? Can you use it in the street? I ride 40 miles each way to the drag strip once a week. Thank You steven

I found the heavier springs to make the clutch feel a bit grabby at the track.
Lost ET, changed back to stock springs with spacers(at the track) ET returned.

The only problem with installing the spacers first is the draft angle on the pressure plate casting. Some spacers will not bottom out completely(at the base of the spring pocket) if installed before the springs.
There is no chance of this happening if the springs are installed first, as the spring pocket opening is larger at the entrance.

Frank,
Tony had a billet basket/lock-up at rt-66.
He had not set a price yet, but I heard it was giong to be around $700. $250 sounds good.

I'm not sure what Gary is using,but I'm pretty sure he still runs the stock inner basket.

With a 720lb bike/rider package traveling 145mph in the 1/8 and 179 in the quarter(NMCA at RT66)I'd say it works pretty well.(thats around 500 hp!)

Brock

Brock, all that stiffness went away after I rode it a while, clutch lever now feels better than the stock clutch set up. I think I jumped the gun as it was a new install with new oil and I hadn't even had it hot yet. Feels fine now, I think it's a really good product. I recommend it to all of you. Baby blue rolls off the light literally at idle no problemo, no grabby, nothing. Saweet.

*aint changin a thang*

Need to find out if Tony from MTC intends to build some lock-ups with the compensator springs under the arms. If anyone hears of this...post it here or e-mail me. If he has no plans of doing so...I will with enough commitments to make all the programming and work worthwhile.

Frank says,

<<Brock,
From what I know about the clutch mods that Tony is doing...like the one in Gary Wardowski's Turbo Busa that you built the motor in, it's totally different from My clutch setup.
Pretty much what Tony did in Gary's bike is almost like useing your basket with a lockup.>>

(almost like useing your basket with a lockup)

I would think that would make you feel good. Since they welded the basket up just like you do on yours, it's all kinda like R&D. Just good info the way I saw it. And If you've noticed, Gary's setup all stays behind the fairing.(no cutting)

Now about Tony's billit basket:

Wow! $700?

NUCKINGFUTS, i chased a chattering problem for a while- just finally got rid of it. i had to replace the large outer basket. you may also need to replace your steel clutch plates, as they may be warped. i have them on the way, just to be safe.

Back