.Org needs a new hosting company

Doug -

First thing - I am on DSL. I am not experiencing any slowness. A few weeks back it seemed like it was slow once in a while, but for the last few weeks .org has loaded just as fast for me as any other web site. This is on my home computer and at work on my work computer. So I am not noticing what others seem to be noticing.

Second thing - Why not delete threads that are so old. Like maybe anything over a year old delete. Or maybe six months.

It is nice to have the threads available to search for things. But I don’t know really how important it is.

My reasoning for this is as follows. Whenever there is anything important that I see, I download it to my own system. If it is something I really want to reference and it is that important, it is just like any other data in my life, I back it up and archive it, on my own system. Also every newbie that checks on board always seems to ask the same questions with out searching, and people might give them a ration but someone always ends up answering their question anyway.

So just archive anything older than say 9 months off the system on to a DVD. Keep it in the event sometime in the future technology's advances enough where bandwidth increases then you could always put it back on if you chose to.

But I think archiving would help with your situation and I don’t think it would be missed as much as people might think it would be.

Also make the allowable file size smaller. You mentioned 300k images. Most of the pics I have been uploading are no larger than 100k, but most of them are around the 65 to 75k file size. And these are good quality pics. These are JPEG files with 50% compression.

Limit the file size for pictures to 100k. If people don’t know how to post a good quality pic with a size under 100k, then it will be a good learning experience for them to figure out how.

Ron

All I can add is that this is the best message board out of all the ones out there. If deleting old topics helps then please do that. If removing "sigs'' helps do that. I would do whatever it takes to keep the best message board going. Personally if it was me I would charge a monthly fee and bring in more outside sponsors. This board really has great potential. Charge 5 bucks a month to members and invite all the major sportbike shops the opportunity to provide a direct link. If these shops get enough "hits" and sales then tell'em to plan on their advertisement fee to be increased. Just from this site alone I gave business to Tracdynamics, Scorpio Alarms, ZG, BDE, Sportbike chrome, schnitzracing, tricktape, etc etc. With some simple data you could easily provide these companies/shops the info they need and the potential profits they stand to gain from YOUR site.

Hey, I'm back! I noticed my email address was way wrong, updated it and lost all my priveleges.
smile.gif
oops. Now I only see all messsges that WWJD created only.

Anywho, whilst looking for some page display sort switches, I went ahead and shut off my "Load avatar, view sigs, view uplaoded pics" settings and it didn't make a bit of difference in speed for me. What I DID notice is the slaw page writing that occurred in Netscape also ocurrs in IE but IE doesn't show the writes... it waits until it gets the load and THEN pops it on the screen. Not significant, but I think IE is hiding some of the page writes slowness I notice. I guess Netscrape just pushes it to the screen when it gets it, not after it's nice and formatted.

I think Thrasher nailed it with everything he posted. Delete EVERYTHING previous to a year and reduce smaller size of pics. If nothing else, archive as a test and restore later.

Hate to see this great board sink beneath it's own bloat.

- and if anything can be done for my regular WWJD sign on, that would be great.
smile.gif

smile.gif

OK so how is the speed of the site today? Everyone chime in and let me know.....

cap

OK so how is the speed of the site today? Everyone chime in and let me know.....

cap
Doug -

For me it seems fine. As I said it doesn’t seem any slower than other sites that I normally frequent (government sites included).

I access lots of different web sites on a daily basis, and most do not have a database that has to be searched through.

Until the entire planet is on ATM to the desktop, nothing is going to pop up instantaneous.

So no complaints here..

Ron

CAPTAIN I AM A RESELLER FOR BLUEGENESIS.com

I will give you the RESELLERS LICENSE discount if you need it Check with them and PM me I will give you the VPN They have offered me. Look at their packages and figure out which one will work for the Board. I will make No commision on this I am offering you what I can because of reasons I will PM Later.

Again goto bluegenesis and if ANY of the packages will work I will do whatever you need.

Roy

cap
Honestly, it's been speeding along for me the last week or so...

When you had the online help feature, I noticed a dramatic drop in speed for me, but I honestly thought it was on my end...I was unable to load pages without refreshing several times, and I'd all but given up on sending PMs because they would hang or go through twice without me even knowing...

Site's rolling right along for me...I'm on a T1...haven't tried dial-up from home...

My vote for loosing the following if it helps.
-photo gallery
-thread sigs
-videos
-chat room
-online help
-post ##### thread
I don't believe charging a monthly fee as has been suggested would go over well. However, if a donation is needed every now and again, I think that would work well.
smile.gif

There is definitely improvment with the smaller avatars, login and size restrictions, missing "Online Tech Support" and the Flag banner.
smile.gif
Feels more better. Surfing around is noticably quicker. I still feel something is up when listing the threads, like after you click "Random Thoughts" and it paints it line by line rather than puking them all out at once... maybe that is just how the sort works, pickign the latest posts for time/date order? IE does it too but doesn't show you... it spashes the top of page then wait, wait, wait BAM all at once - must be compiling the page in the background.

You know, I am still not complaining really, it's a GREAT site and you are da man for setting this all up. Just helping point out an issue here or there.
smile.gif
Lets hear from some others tha had problems similar to mine... or am I the only one now?

smile.gif

Captain, I'm not an I.T. type or computer geek. Just your everyday motorcycle enthusiast and for me personally I've never had an issue with the speed at which your site loads... Maybe its just me or maybe I'm the patient type. But, I can honestly say I've never been concerned with the speed of the site. On the plus side of things, I have to agree with the others who suggest this is the best Dayum web site... As always Whatever it takes to make it right for you and your family, just do it! Will understand...

Vroom Vroom... Speeding right along...

--I remember last time this came up someone mentioned deleting the PWhore thread but it's not really taking up any bandwidth...

-Otherwise... I like Avatars alot, gives you a sense of a person... They should stay...
-Linked images in your signature blocks... I don't like em' I think they should go. Page becomes dependant on remote link to a different machine 10-20 times a page on some of these and the files are pretty large....
- How about loosing the sigs, and Upping the physical size of the Avatars too 128X128 with a 20-40K Max size? Then folks could 86 the damn signature images, and just use their Avatar as intended...

-Any Comments?
rock.gif

The Flag is coming back for those that might have been a little concerned.....
cool.gif

I agree with Revlis maybe drop the Sigs and offer larger Avatar. I cannot say it enough though the Macromedia Shockwave Flash file is super qwik to load and then evryone would have to go through a moderatoer to upload their Avatar. Have PEople that know how to use it convert em they wont lose resolution they can be animated and they will be unique if you use the Protect from Import. (Very Personal.)

Other than that the Server per Section works the best just as a large scale database does.

You have enough techs on this board, and from that the help is there it's just a matter of selection and delegation.

Seriously, looking at the Source code, this Ikon version can support even the most demanding Avatars , like AOLs SuperBuddies or MSNs upperscale Chatvtars. Which require their own scripting and those ones are taxing.

The Board is a lil faster than before Thanksgiving, but I think taht is because the backbones of the Internet have been scourged and reset. We have our local BBS on proboards.com cause it is free
smile.gif
and they have probably the most boards on the ame servers except for TelNet.

Just Don't throw in the towel with out letting us know what you need or want to do. It would be like taking candy from a baby. (IF you have kids, you will know that, THAT IS a BAD thing to do.)

Vroom Vroom... Speeding right along...

--I remember last time this came up someone mentioned deleting the PWhore thread but it's not really taking up any bandwidth...

-Otherwise... I like Avatars alot, gives you a sense of a person... They should stay...
-Linked images in your signature blocks... I don't like em' I think they should go. Page becomes dependant on remote link to a different machine 10-20 times a page on some of these and the files are pretty large....
- How about loosing the sigs, and Upping the physical size of the Avatars too 128X128 with a 20-40K Max size? Then folks could 86 the damn signature images, and just use their Avatar as intended... [/QUOTE]

I agree with Revlis maybe drop the Sigs and offer larger Avatar. I cannot say it enough though the Macromedia Shockwave Flash file is super qwik to load and then evryone would have to go through a moderatoer to upload their Avatar. Have PEople that know how to use it convert em they wont lose resolution they can be animated and they will be unique if you use the Protect from Import. (Very Personal.)

Other than that the Server per Section works the best just as a large scale database does.

You have enough techs on this board, and from that the help is there it's just a matter of selection and delegation.

Seriously, looking at the Source code, this Ikon version can support even the most demanding Avatars , like AOLs SuperBuddies or MSNs upperscale Chatvtars. Which require their own scripting and those ones are taxing.

The Board is a lil faster than before Thanksgiving, but I think taht is because the backbones of the Internet have been scourged and reset. We have our local BBS on proboards.com cause it is free and they have probably the most boards on the ame servers except for TelNet.

Just Don't throw in the towel with out letting us know what you need or want to do. It would be like taking candy from a baby. (IF you have kids, you will know that, THAT IS a BAD thing to do.)[/QUOTE]

wink.gif

There is definitely improvment with the smaller avatars, login and size restrictions, missing "Online Tech Support" and the Flag banner.  
smile.gif
  Feels more better.   Surfing around is noticably quicker.  I still feel something is up when listing the threads, like after you click "Random Thoughts" and it paints it line by line rather than puking them all out at once... maybe that is just how the sort works, pickign the latest posts for time/date order?  IE does it too but doesn't show you... it spashes the top of page then wait, wait, wait BAM all at once - must be compiling the page in the background.

You know, I am still not complaining really, it's a GREAT site and you are da man for setting this all up.  Just helping point out an issue here or there.  
smile.gif
  Lets hear from some others tha had problems similar to mine... or am I the only one now?
I had something similar happen last week after playing around with media programs.

All of a sudden I had empty placeholders drawn on the screen with little some little generic windows image and had to wait for each forum image to load.

I went to my internet advanced options and found internet placeholders box was checked. I unchecked that and everything was back to normal. It may be psychological but small images seem to load 100X faster now.

Overall board speed has always been reasonable for me on dsl or dial up. Dial up had to have sigs and avatars disabled though.
Once in a while there's a pause that I have to wait for, but that happens on any board. Over the past week or so board speed is better than ever.

smile.gif

Good today, but I have never really had a problem with speed on this site before, either with mt sat connection or my current cable modem connection.

Back