Oops! Need advice re Clutch Release Cylinder

Deadeye

Deadeye
Donating Member
Registered
Hey - its 1am - was changing sprockets/chain and was "almost done" when I dumped the clutch fluid (I think) while re-installing the counter sprocket cover. The clutch push rod was still attached to the clutch release cylinder (it all came off with the sprocket cover) and I guess I moved it while jimmying the cover back on. It dumped like 3 ounces of brake fluid on the ground and now the clutch reservoir still shows "between the lines" but the clutch has no pressure. So, I'm asking what the fix is?
Re-bleed the clutch?Is that it?
Funny the manual doesn't warn you (I saw a thread that says "don't move the push rod!!" but didn't say why) ...
Also, I couldn't for the life of me find the torque settings for the sprocket cover bolts ... so if anyone can tell me those (and a page number cause I went back/forth through the friggin book 1/2 doz times ... and now I REALLY want to see where they hid it.) I was around page 3-17 ...
One more thing - does anybody know what Thread Lock 1342, 1303 and 1360 (Busa manual) are in colors? Sounds dumb but I use Honda lock and the Blue is light, Red is medium and Green is high strength. I have never found what the Suzuki numbers "translate" to ... I would really appreciate it .. Eternally grateful ... I'm learning but really slow - takes me forever ... but I think I did a good job on my first chain break / rivet and the sprockets. Thanks in advance - regret the long post ... I'll check back in the morning ... :banghead:

Bleed clutch.

Loc-tite blue on everything.

7 ft. pounds if not mistaken. Check that however.

r8

Second that.
All you need is to bleed the clutch.
Diagram page 6-77 in my 2006 manual 7 ft lbs.
Blue is medium strength removable with hand tools.

Hey good morning - and THANKS!! Couldn't find the torque settings for the life of me ... guess I was tired. I know that blue is med strength but what does it relate to in Suzuki manual terms e.g. Is blue the equivalent of 1342? And what is the equivalent of the other two 1303 and 1360? I know that not all are required for this job but if you look at the front of the manual (no page number - but page 5 if you count - under SYMBOLS - they list all three) there is no "translation" to colors or light, med, permanent ... I've always wondered ... Anyway - THANKS - will get back to this on Monday after a family break. As always - these forums are awesome and you guys are a great help!!! :thumbsup::bowdown:

Hey good morning - and THANKS!! Couldn't find the torque settings for the life of me ... guess I was tired. I know that blue is med strength but what does it relate to in Suzuki manual terms e.g. Is blue the equivalent of 1342? And what is the equivalent of the other two 1303 and 1360? I know that not all are required for this job but if you look at the front of the manual (no page number - but page 5 if you count - under SYMBOLS - they list all three) there is no "translation" to colors or light, med, permanent ... I've always wondered ... Anyway - THANKS - will get back to this on Monday after a family break. As always - these forums are awesome and you guys are a great help!!! :thumbsup::bowdown:

No need to complicate things. :agree:

r8

Well, bled the clutch and all is well. Thanks. Still wondering about the torque settings for the sprocket cover 4 bolts ... I think the 7 ft pounds are for the clutch release cylinder. I torqued them by hand to medium tightness with blue. I agree that blue is for medium and red for high or permanent but still would appreciate it if anyone knows what the Suzuki manual numbers 1342, 1303 and 1360 translate to ... Thanks for the help - new chain and sprockets and a newly bled clutch and its all working ... :bowdown:

Well, bled the clutch and all is well. Thanks. Still wondering about the torque settings for the sprocket cover 4 bolts ... I think the 7 ft pounds are for the clutch release cylinder. I torqued them by hand to medium tightness with blue. I agree that blue is for medium and red for high or permanent but still would appreciate it if anyone knows what the Suzuki manual numbers 1342, 1303 and 1360 translate to ... Thanks for the help - new chain and sprockets and a newly bled clutch and its all working ... :bowdown:

Glad you got it going. You certainly are trying to complicate things. Common sence tells you to use any Medium strength loc tite. Who cares what the number is? And if you cant find a torque setting, then common sence also tells you to snug them down before breaking the bolts.
You have to have a feel for how much torque you are putting on it. I have never used a torque wrench on my sprocket cover or many other things as well, and never hadda problem....

Just trying to do it right bro ... I used Blue and hand torqued them without the book setting ... I was just trying to find the book setting and couldn't ... as I said in the post ... I have wondered what the shop manual numbers for loctite refer to ... By the way,:poke:: sence tells me that sense is spelled sense and not sence ...

Hey I live close to you! Did you get it going OK? I just changed my slave cyl seal after the original one started to leak. I re-read your original post, and I'm not clear on how you lost all the fluid unless your push rod was seized into the piston. I was able to remove my sprocket cover with the slave installed, and the hose still attached. Bit of a pain but it's possible. After I replaced the seal, and refilling with new fluid, I had to bleed it for a few minutes as well to get all the air out.

Hey!! The push rod did stay attached until I went to put the sprocket cover back on ... and while I was trying to get it "seated" - I must have dislodged the push rod and the clutch fluid bled out. I cleaned everything up and then bled the clutch - all is well now. Where are you? :beerchug:

is 7 ft. pounds correct for the sprocket cover? i looked in both of my books and still can't figure it out. thanks

Back