OOPS Hayabusa loses chain at highway speeds....

I would love to hear the interpretation of the audio. Dude was laughing his butt off. Very lucky biker.

Ive only broke a chain once, on a dragbike coming out of a burnout box on the track when the tire hooked. no damage just did the same as the video.

I've heard some say it got caught up and lock rear wheel, I've heard some say it cracked the case on engine and Ive seen some say they went down from it. He's lucky.

In my earliest of riding days, on one of my first street legal bikes, a suzuki TS400 2-stroke dual-sport, I lost a chain going about 60 down the freeway. It just slid off the bike and layed straight down the highway, no drama at all :laugh:
I got lucky.
I grabbed my chain, and pushed the bike to the closest off-ramp and gas station. The bike was in good shape, and one of the guys there said, hey, wanna trade your bike for my car?
I left that station with my very first car, a 1966 Mercury Monterey 4 door with a big ole' 390 in it :beerchug:
I wrecked it shortly after...rear-ended some poor old lady cause I was busy flirting with girls in the car next to me instead of watching the road :banghead:

I put a new radiator in it, removed the hood, and continued to hot rod the holy heck out of that car for a long time. Lots of good memories with it :thumbsup: When I couldn't blow it up, I finally gave it to my kid brother to continue the quest :goodidea:
He didn't succeed either and gave it to somebody else :crowbar:

Losing a chain is an interesting way to get your first car eh?

And don't let anybody tell you old Fords aren't tough :no:

I lost my chain on the front straight at Nelson ledges. The guy in the tower said it was higher then the tower.

nelson is only like hour to hour n half from me... some of the members occasionaly do track days there

my buddy was in front of me when we were just out of high school on his honda 250 v-twin sport bike when his chain came off. unfortunately he was not so lucky. it locked up the rear tire as we were banked going up an exit ramp loop. he had no choice but to stand it up and take it off the embankment at speed. he was not hurt but the bike was waaayyyy off the road and came about 5 feet from careening through a barbed wire fence into a wheat field. the drop off was impressive. the both of us could not get it back up on the pavement due to the incline and we had to use a chain and his dads truck to get it back up.

when it came off it wedged between the sprocket and the swingarm. it was hell to get apart. it was also bound up in the case, however it didnt break anything. he was lucky as he was not wearing a helmet. Back in those days we thought we were invincible.:whistle:

chrisjp said:
nelson is only like hour to hour n half from me... some of the members occasionaly do track days there

Let me know when your ready. Raced many times there. Many many stories are still told there about me :-)

Lucky. Lucky.

When mine broke on my ZX-11D, it got sucked up into the front sprocket and crankcase. Cheapy chain, master link busted. I was lucky, it happened at 40-50 mph low speeds & I rolled into a cemetery no less, and then walked home.

Super-scary. Will never do that again. RK GB530's for me ever since.

Ill just read this thread again when I need a new chain, that way itll remind me of why I want the good chain and not the deal off ebay. I had my chain come off my dirtbike, it broke the case and I never rode my dirtbike again.

Just out of curiosity, why is everyone assuming that chain breaking is limited to chains sold on ebay? Poor maintenance, improper installation or manufacturing defect can cause any chain to brake. In fact, the only chain that has ever broken on me was a name brand (expensive) chain that was only a few weeks old. On the other hand, I have used chains sold through ebay that were rated with the same strength as the OEM chain that hasn't broken. I would love to see some type of documented evidence that one brand of chain is more prone to breaking than another, including "ebay chains." I think that type of info would be very helpful.

Just out of curiosity, why is everyone assuming that chain breaking is limited to chains sold on ebay? Poor maintenance, improper installation or manufacturing defect can cause any chain to brake. In fact, the only chain that has ever broken on me was a name brand (expensive) chain that was only a few weeks old. On the other hand, I have used chains sold through ebay that were rated with the same strength as the OEM chain that hasn't broken. I would love to see some type of documented evidence that one brand of chain is more prone to breaking than another, including "ebay chains." I think that type of info would be very helpful.

It is not necessarily limited to ones sold on ebay. It is the cheap 20-50 dollar chains that are most known for being sold on ebay that are cheap in quality. I am sure those same chains are sold elsewhere but as I said it is just most commonly associated with ebay. Some would say the same of my ebay brake rotors and pads which are still stellar and gripping hard after 5k miles. And you are absolutely correct that it could be a less strong chain that was poorly maintained or very old or at the wrong tension. All very possible scenarios.

Back