07 with Myrtle West 330 Kit...Chain Adjustment or Replace?

Chipster

Registered
Details: 07 Hayabusa, 17k miles, 330 Myrtle West Kit, lowering triple tree, and I believe a 12" extension. Bike was already like this when I got it and dealer inspected the bike but there was no maintenance history/paperwork.
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section to put this in but I bought this bike back in July and have put probably 1000 miles on it since. I have looked at the chains before and pretty sure I never noticed the chain like it is below in the video.

The secondary chain seems taut but the initial chain seems wayyyyy too loose but i'm not familiar with bike chains enough yet. I have noticed that while riding, it seems that if i'm attempting to hold at a steady speed that the bike feels to "lope" almost. Like the chain is quickly oscillating between taut and loose. While accelerating or decelerating, it isn't very noticeable. So my questions are:

Is this outside the scope of being adjustable and would it be smarter to just go ahead and replace it?
Do I replace just that chain and sprocket or go ahead and replace both chains and sprockets?
I am pretty mechanically savvy but basically no experience working on bikes, so would this be a relatively straight forward job?
How do I know what size chain to get?

Last edited by a moderator:
The front one looks crazy loose...does it jump teeth? I have zero experience in this area but that chain is beat or you could take a link +1/2 out and run it...on the cautious side is at minimum take it off and measure it for stretch...buy a new chain / chains + sprockets if they are wasted (look at the teeth and the top flats )...hopefully somebody with your kit / knows more will comment.

The front one looks crazy loose...does it jump teeth? I have zero experience in this area but that chain is beat or you could take a link +1/2 out and run it...on the cautious side is at minimum take it off and measure it for stretch...buy a new chain / chains + sprockets if they are wasted (look at the teeth and the top flats )...hopefully somebody with your kit / knows more will comment.

I thought the same thing. I did not ride it after I saw that. I shot an email to myrtle west too but i have no idea what size chains or sprockets to get and how to check mine for replacement. The teeth on the sprockets seemed ok and I don't think it was jumping teeth but i'm not sure what jumping teeth would feel like.

Oh my goodness that's crazy.
I don't have that mod on my bike but you are wise to stay off of it until you sort it out.
I think you are on the right track, if there is no adjustment for the front chain it may need a shorter chain.
I think there is something fundamentally wrong there.
Please keep us posted.
:thumbsup:

i have a swingarm from AAA.....my chain was never like that....i did have a issue that the front chain had some slack cus of the J-shaft loosened and twisted on me and the chain ate up the shaft and the arm. but i fix it and learned from my mistake. i didnt keep the front chain tighten (now i keep a close eye on it)...i was always worried about the back chain. any questions fill free to call me....985-870-1694...:thumbsup:
i like to see the bike.

Thanks for the response! I'm thinking the jackshaft could have loosened as well but since I have no idea when all the chains and sprockets are from, I'm going to replace all of it. Going with Ball Z and 17/43 with the RC Component rear sprocket. And getting 2 of the gold with black plating EK 3D Z chains. I will call myrtle west tonight about getting a new jackshaft. There are pics of the bike in the other thread I started on here. I will try to document the process while I do the work.

Oh my goodness that's crazy.
I don't have that mod on my bike but you are wise to stay off of it until you sort it out.
I think you are on the right track, if there is no adjustment for the front chain it may need a shorter chain.
I think there is something fundamentally wrong there.
Please keep us posted.
:thumbsup:

Oops, missed your post. Yeah, I'm thinking now the jackshaft must have loosened but I put 1000+ miles on the bike without really taking a good look at the chain so lesson learned there. I will update as I get it fixed.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: ....... 330ods

Lol, I definitely don't want to drop that kind of money on a whole new kit!

I ended up doing an oil change today and removed the fairings. Didn't get the front sprocket cover off but I'll assume for now that I have a 17 front. That runs to an 18 on the jackscrew and then a 15, maybe a 16 tooth on jackscrew runs the chain to a 45 rear sprocket. So assuming I get a replacement jackscrew in the same configuration, I'm wondering if I should stay with 17/45 or switch to 17/43...
If anyone has advice, I'm all ears.

I also meant to mention that I'm not sure if the jackshaft was loose but my front chain was definitely toast. Some of the metal around the end of many of the link was completely torn off or popped up and close to tearing off. The teeth on the sprocket on the jackshaft from the front chain seem to he heavily worn too. Not sure what would have caused this. And it was loose enough to skip teeth. Glad I noticed it before something really bad happened.

Next time keep it greased up always after 3k miles tight the front adjust.lube lube lube......I have 3 kits 300 330 and 360 on all 3 of my bikes u ever need info just ask....

Next time keep it greased up always after 3k miles tight the front adjust.lube lube lube......I have 3 kits 300 330 and 360 on all 3 of my bikes u ever need info just ask....

Thanks! It was tight when I got it and I've only put 1100 miles on it or so. Didn't think I would need to tighten it that often. How do you adjust the jackshaft?

i have to see these bikes.....???

I vote for that too! I ordered everything through myrtle west today including the special tool I need to adjust. Also got a good deal on some custom pink seats. Hopefully I'll get stuff in next week and get it knocked out quick!

Well i finally got all the parts last friday and changed it all out saturday morning. Rides much better. I need to adjust the front chain a little better one more time and then i should be good. I'll be better about lubing the chains. Was pretty simple job once i saw what the custom tool from myrtle west was. Pink seats did not work out since they were for Gen 2 so those were canceled lol.

Well i finally got all the parts last friday and changed it all out saturday morning. Rides much better. I need to adjust the front chain a little better one more time and then i should be good. I'll be better about lubing the chains. Was pretty simple job once i saw what the custom tool from myrtle west was. Pink seats did not work out since they were for Gen 2 so those were canceled lol.

what custom tool you are talking about? please post a picture of it. thanks.

As requested. Its a 32mm head just like for the front sprocket. Its essentially an adapter instead of a tool. It fits on the circular retaining nut on the jackshaft and on the rear shaft. The circular nuts have to be removed to replace the jackshaft and/or rear sprocket. Other than that, adjusting the shafts for chain tension are done with the bolts. First time working on a bike and did it all by myself.

0925142122.jpg

0925142123.jpg

Congrats on getting the chain situation straight

Would love to see pics of the complete bike & a review on how the bike applies power & rides.

Heard someone mention the AAA swingarm, anyone else using one?

Back