Online Universities...

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So has anyone had any first hand experience with them?
Im about to start some courses and wonder if there are any accreditation things I should be looking for...
I am going down to the base education center to get some information tomorrow and re-send my transcript to my old college to update my credits on file for them. Im about 4 or 5 classes from an associates.

This is the online university I am looking at currently...
Associate of Science in Electronics and Computer Engineering Technology, AS-ECET, Electronics, Computer Engineering

And eventually get a bachelors...
http://www.grantham.edu/colleges-an...r-science/electronics-engineering-technology/

I already have the certification to work on circuit boards. I will have the work experience when i get out. Plus I am on my way to getting nationally certified as a Journeyman through the US military apprenticeship program...

I think i should be pretty set when i get out. I am not sure if i can get a bachelors by time i get out in 2 and a half year but I am gonna try...

Good luck and stick with it...find the field that you like and get the all improtant piece of paper.

Good luck and stick with it...find the field that you like and get the all improtant piece of paper.

Yep its all about whats on paper that makes you look good which is sad because you can be hot **** at your job and the dude with a piece of paper that says mumbo jumbo can get the job before you...

I love the job I do which is repairing electronics (comm gear) and also working on circuit cards so these courses are right up my alley

good luck with it man and stick with it. i'm currently enrolled into Nova, there online courses are great. Working with animals is my dream and if i can get paid to do it lol why not:thumbsup:

I have used Bismark State before. Just make sure they are ABET accredited if you ever plan to have transferable credits.

My wife has a Bachelors from GMU, but needed a couple classes for her job as a public high school teacher in VA. She took them from the University of Phoenix online and the state of VA accepted them no problem. I'de say that's a good sign for potential employers, If they offer what you're looking for.

My wife got her associates from Davenport University. All her classes she took on-line made the process much faster. It helped her with getting the job she has now. She is now working on Bachelors from there too. Getting a 4.0 miss smarty pants.

well i go to the university of phoenix online working on my master in nursing and i put in alot of hours online with all the papers and reseaching :cheerleader:

All I know is: 1) They are expensive !
2) I have a close friend who grades English papers
His Qualifications: PHD in English
Did all the Ole English Translations for U of Okla
Written 10 Books and uncountable Papers
3) So, if he is any indication of their grading staff, IT'S A GOOD DEAL :beerchug:

Russel J what ever you do, DO NOT go to a for proffit university. You are better off taking online classes from a local community college. You will save a ton of $$$ and you will have a degree from an acredited school. Most companies and HR departments give zero weight to Phoenix university type schools. The mjority of them don't even give tests! They are pretty shoddy to say the least. There is a ton of financial aid out there to be had. I am getting my third degree and am on a scholarship right now to UNF. Go fill out a fasfa (google it) and go from there bro. Let me know if you have any questions I am more than happy to help.
Costal Carolina all the way bro!

DO IT! I am on my 4th class online no problems and loving it. It works for me. I'd highly suggest sticking with a local community college. Good luck.

Russel J what ever you do, DO NOT go to a for proffit university. You are better off taking online classes from a local community college. You will save a ton of $$$ and you will have a degree from an acredited school. Most companies and HR departments give zero weight to Phoenix university type schools. The mjority of them don't even give tests! They are pretty shoddy to say the least. There is a ton of financial aid out there to be had. I am getting my third degree and am on a scholarship right now to UNF. Go fill out a fasfa (google it) and go from there bro. Let me know if you have any questions I am more than happy to help.
Costal Carolina all the way bro!

I have to agree. Most of the online schools are OK if you are employed and need paper for a promotion. Once you hit the job market, most employers are biased towards where you got your degree.

On a side note, most HR Departments are clueless about the jobs they are screening for. This is what I was told at a recent interview:

We love your background and experience, but we are looking for someone with a MCSE. You really should look into gettn one. Call us when you do. By the way, What is a MCITP?:banghead:

Well im not going to sign up for grantham. Internwt research shows i need to go to a "regionally accredited" school. National isnt good enough.

I have found ECPI college of technology based out of VA that has online courses for electronics engineering. They are regionally accredited also.

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

I work for a "for profit" online school. its k-12, so there a ton of accreditation procedures we most go trough. people are becoming more and more comfortable with distance learning. a couple of accreditations you are looking for would be WASC and if they are certified by University of California, then anyone will accept them.

Most of our students are child actors and student athletes. 88% go on to the college of their choice.

So to say those types have zero weight is a general statement. Most "for profit" schools don't charge anymore than traditional brick schools. they are just more effective with their resources.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm currently attending AIU (American InterContinental University). I'm using the GI Bill so it is an accredited school. They wont pay for the school if it's not. AIU's classes are 5 weeks long and pretty easy. One paper a week, anywhere between 1-5 pages, and one discussion board post (3-4 paragraphs). I take 2 classes at a time and usually wait till sunday to do my homework. Your required to be online 1 hour per week, no set time, just be logged onto the website. I've recommended this to alot of people, no one seems to have picked up on it. I've completed an Associates Degree in Business Admin with an Information Systems concentration and am now 8 classes from a Bachelors in Business Admin with a Healthcare Management concentration. I'm telling you, after hearing what some friends are going thru with other online schools, this is cake. I can get you a number for the admissions advisor I've used, he's great. Let me know.

not directed at anyone individually...
be careful of BS diploma mills. they look for government backed loans, and ultimately are worthless. these days scams are absolutely everywhere.

not directed at anyone individually...
be careful of BS diploma mills. they look for government backed loans, and ultimately are worthless. these days scams are absolutely everywhere.

Most private schools don't qualify for government loans.
That's why its so important to check for accreditations. Your right, dollar before degrees.
Posted via Mobile Device

I ended up going through and enrolling in ECPI. I start classes May 9th :thumbsup:

Ill let you guys know how it goes. My tuition assistance covers all but 400 dollars part time but they offer a 1000 scholarship that will cover the rest. May tap into my GI bill if I finish my associates and go for my bachelors :thumbsup:

Back