One monkey off my back

Tetge

Registered
Well, I was wondering if I could ever get an 10 sec pass out of my Busa.  You can tell by my trap speeds that LACR in the summer located at 2710' altitude in the Mojave Desert in Southern California, with DA's of 5000' and up, is not very friendly.  But, I managed to get there against a modded ZX10R tonight.  Unfortunately I fell asleep at the light since the ZX10R rider was not cutting good lights until he ran me, but, I beat him to the 1/8th based upon the number whereapon he pulled me like I was broken.  The ZX12R that I ran also pulled me in the second 1/8th.  I do weigh 250 lbs with gear and my bike is full weight and all stock plus a center stand.  I was #223.
Still, I am relieved that the Busa gave me a 10 sec pass and it was my first ever 10 sec pass at the drag strip.  I discovered that you have to really get into the Busa to launch it.  There is more to be had, but, it scares me so I am sneaking up on it bit by bit.

<!--EDIT|Tetge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123137932 -->

10926LACR.jpg

congrats man keep practicing. Your 60 should be a little quicker than that too but it comes with time

Practice, practice, practice! Wish I could even get to the strip and try it! Good job!

You all race almost every night, right? Tonight I did a little better with the ET, but, I changed my gearing this morning to a 42T rear sprocket.  I put the SpeedoHealer on the bike and decided to try it that way prior to putting the 16T front sprocket on.  I calculated that the rev limiter should hit at about 131.5 MPH based upon the figures that I found on the NET.  But, I hit the rev limiter in 3rd on my final and best run before I hit the end of the 1/4.  It cost me a bit.  I am not sure at what RPM the rev limiter hits but with a new OEM tire it hits at about 130 MPH with a 42T rear sprocket. Now l'll put the 16T front on and go to 4th in the 1/4 and see how that works.  Each time I change the gearing I have to learn how to launch all over again, but the bike appeared to like the 42T rear sprocket OK.
I am now faster than that pesty ZX-12R and the ZX-10R that I recently ran.
I am #157

<!--EDIT|Tetge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122796035 -->

NewBestLACRBusa.jpg

Your an addict...Better than crack...If you enjoy racing just stick to it and your times will continue to drop...Your gonna love the 16/42 combo...

You all race almost every night, right?
Only about once a week, the rest of the time I gotta work to support my habit!
With a stock arm, I would stick with the 17/42 until you get a little more experience launching. There's a guy at our track with a stock arm Busa, he runs 16/42, cuts low 1.5' 60's, but it tends to come up on him, and he's been racing bikes for many years. My advice is do one thing at a time, learn how to ride the piss out of it that way, then change something else, that way you can get a better feel for what each different mod does.

Yeah I only got to 10.42 sec in the 1/4 and 6.75 sec in the 1/8. A lot of it for me is the fact that I am a big boy (250#). Maybe if I lost a few I could go a lot faster. I also don't have the balls to stay in it when the front end picks up. For some reason I like both wheels to stay on the ground (or only an inch or two up in the front).

Hey Tetge, I was looking at your RT's and have a question. Are you waiting till you see the Green light or are you going on the 3rd amber?

Hey Tetge,   I was looking at your RT's and have a question.  Are you waiting till you see the Green light or are you going on the 3rd amber?
At LACR I run off the pro light sometimes and the three amber others depending on how many bikes are there and what the crew wants me to do. But, my r/t's do not mean anything on these T&T slips since I learned years ago not to worry about r/t when I was attempting to dial in the rest of the run.
As for the 17/42 gear combo, it does not work going through in 3rd at LACR since it hits the rev limiter right before the traps. It launched better than stock with that combo so I could run 17/41 and it would work using the first three gears. I will try 16/42 and see if going to 4th toward the end of the 1/4 will work on the Busa. It has been hot and crowded so I have not settled in with one setup to find the correct shift points for a stocker (For instance, I shift my '03 Cobra religiously at 6200 RPM because the Navigator cams in the 4v do not wish to go higher than that and make power). The Busa only has 700 miles on it too, so it might still loosen up and develop some more power. So far I have been shifting the Busa at 11000 indicated and it seems to go best shifting there, but, perhaps I should shift sooner? I live out in the desert, not far from LACR ( you all did get a place to live right by a drag strip, right?), so even the 16/42 gears feel real short and buzzy on the street, but, maybe I will cruise at slower speeds due to the shorter gears and stay out of jail?

Mr.Brown I run 16/40 not 16/42..Used to run 17/42..About the same as 16/40..Yea I do have to think to much when riding your bike..That is hard for me to do..My mind is not to good..SEE YOU Friday..Tell Matt and Eric I will be ready for them..Got some stuff to do to my bike..Hope it runs better

Attempted to run with 16t/42t gears tonight. The track was realtively empty and I put on a fine display of giant wheelies. Trap speeds were off as were 60' and all other measures of performance. I took eight runs down the track and decided that tomorrow morning I am going to put the stock 17/40 gear back on. The 16/42 is just too jumpy for my limited abilities. Plus my buddy on the ZX-12R kicked my butt seriously at the track and then pulled me on the street as if I were broken. I think that the stock Busa likes its tall gear, although 17/42 was great at the track other than hitting the rev limiter just before the end of the 1/4 in 3rd. I might order a 41T rear sprocket for LACR as it should be perfect gearing to go through the traps in 3rd with the stock 17T countersprocket up front. But, in the winter with better DA, the stock gears might be perfect.

My bike is a FREAK!  

Tetge, you might also explain that the bad results were once again due to the absolutely horrible conditions again tonight...

That, and you should list up what the bike and rider totals were when put them on the track scale.

But, I agree... too much gear for a stock arm / susp. / no strap  bike combo.  Good for wheelies and playing perhaps, but I was able to pull him even on the street by running a gear down, 2nd to his 3rd for example. If he were to punch off in the same gear or lower, it was just an instant stunt show!  
wow.gif

Tetge,
try the 16/40 combo and buy a strap! It makes a lot of difference. Also you might consider some dogbones.......
Brakelate,
I doubt your bike is a freak, 12's are great bikes. My arch-rival, (I mean good friend) rides one too....

Carsbikes_054ltl.jpg

Back