on/off ramps... question

mynewride

Registered
hey i have a question. i like to play on them to and from work as its the only twisties i see on a regular basis. anyhow there is one ramp that i have an issue with. the pavement is concrete. they have used one of those grinders to bring the surface flat again. my problem is that when i was going around it the other day i felt as if i was drifting out toward the outside of the turn.

the ramp is a 180 degree ramp that stars out with a decreasing radius turn that flattens out just a hair in the middle and then goes back to decreasing radius just as it comes onto the highway. anyhow i felt the bike really feel like it was pushing in front. what am i doing wrong or is it just the pavement?

im by no means a great rider and dont claim to be. i plan on hitting the track next year and getting in some msf courses. in the mean time i practice where i feel safe. there is a very fast banked downhill exit i take that i love to roll around at about 80 or so. would go faster, but im afraid of getting a major ticket. i try not to speed much on public roads.:whistle:

i hope tuff chimes in on this

Try shifting your weight and see if it feels different. If you are hanging off, put the crack of your a$$ the edge of the seat and the ball of your foot on the end of peg.

Body position is one thing, and the line you take is the other thing you can focus on. Aim for the outside (white fog line) and cut inward when you have see-through (technically called Delayed Late Apexing).

Have fun!

And this is what it looks like when you're sliding the front. :thumbsup:

Dsc09570_tire.jpg

Dsc09570_tire.jpg

Wait for the track it will be a solid investment in time :thumbsup: Or at the very least take into consideration what kind of material you could be interacting with in a slide. Those guardrails are not their to protect you. Good luck either way and Godspeed to you :beerchug:

hey i have a question. i like to play on them to and from work as its the only twisties i see on a regular basis. anyhow there is one ramp that i have an issue with. the pavement is concrete. they have used one of those grinders to bring the surface flat again. my problem is that when i was going around it the other day i felt as if i was drifting out toward the outside of the turn.

the ramp is a 180 degree ramp that stars out with a decreasing radius turn that flattens out just a hair in the middle and then goes back to decreasing radius just as it comes onto the highway. anyhow i felt the bike really feel like it was pushing in front. what am i doing wrong or is it just the pavement?

im by no means a great rider and dont claim to be. i plan on hitting the track next year and getting in some msf courses. in the mean time i practice where i feel safe. there is a very fast banked downhill exit i take that i love to roll around at about 80 or so. would go faster, but im afraid of getting a major ticket. i try not to speed much on public roads.:whistle:

i hope tuff chimes in on this

If your tire is actually pushing one of two things are happening. The most likely culprit is coasting through the corner. Coasting while leaned over adds weight to the front and as the tire overloads it will begin to loose traction. A closed throttle is the most common cause of front end push.

The other reason the front will push is to much throttle, which will take to much weight off the front causing the tire to loose grip and run wide. I suspect this is not your problem?

If you have lowered the rear of the bike this will have an effect as well. Lowering the bike flattens out the swingarm angle causing the bike to squat when adding throttle and transfers to much weight while lengthening the trail causing the bike to run wide.

You are on the right road by attending a few track days. You'll learn how important throttle management is while cornering.

that time i was actually on the throttle trying to pick up a little speed coming out of the corner. maybe i got on it a lil too early. i just didnt know if maybe i should have tried to put more lean into it. i just was nervous with the grooves in the concrete from the resurfacing machine.

If you have lowered the rear of the bike this will have an effect as well. Lowering the bike flattens out the swingarm angle causing the bike to squat when adding throttle and transfers to much weight while lengthening the trail causing the bike to run wide.

Tufbusa (or anyone else who knows),

Is this true for lowering front AND rear the same amount, or just lowering the rear and leaving the front alone?

I'm not well versed in bike mods such as lowering... my assumption is that lowering the entire bike (not just the rear) decreases swingarm angle (based upon my perception of what swingarm angle is.)

Appreciate any clarification. Reason I ask is that I was thinking about lowering my Busa to improve slow-speed (garage and long stoplight) ground handling. I might have to reconsider if lowering by an inch or so will decrease riding competence.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

It will change if you lower both.

If possible, take it out of the seat. That is the best place. If you need more, then try to lower it a minimal amount. 1/2" in the seat and 1/2" in the suspension would be better than 1" in the suspension!

Back