Ok, us old guys are screwed

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
First off, if this article is true and reflects true stats.

I would like to apologize to all the young riders out there for any comments I might have made about being too young for a Busa.

I would also like to apologize to anyone that I might have told a Busa is not good for you first bike

This article is some fugged up shitski.

He is a quick excerpt, then the link to follow:

Jan 21, 2:04 PM (ET)

By DAVID SHARP
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Safety experts suspect older motorcycle riders with a lot of disposable income are buying more machines than their aging, out-of-practice bodies can handle.
Across the country, the annual number of motorcycle fatalities among 40-plus riders tripled over the past decade to 1,674 in 2003, while deaths among riders under 30 dropped slightly to 1,161, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Here is the rest of the article:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050121/D87OL4H01.html

I can’t dispute anything the article says. Dang this sucks.

Don't worry old guys, I would be willing to bet that 90% of the fatalities were on Harleys. Sounds like typical RUBs to me!! You are a lot better off riding something that actually has power, great brakes, and can turn.
biggrin.gif

I don't know Thrasher...don't go getting depressed just yet...

Statistics can essentially be skewed in any direction one likes...take in to account the rapid increase in the sheer number of riders, the number of bikes now on the road and the number of incidents that WERE NOT the fault of the motorcyclist. True, there may be a higher number of "older" people in accidents, but that's not a clear indication that slow hand/eye coordination or age is always to blame.

I'd put my money on more bikes on the road owned by the older crowd simply because that's who can afford the sport (as indicated in the article), coupled with the fact that far too often, cagers still don't see 'em...

It's like saying there's a huge onslaught of redheads riding nowadays, oh, and there must be something about redheads that lead to more accidents...

The "older crowd is more likely to be drinking" comment also throws me...that's a surprise to me...
rock.gif

This is caused by all those "Chopper" programs on TV. It's increased bike sales, but people think it's cool to tool around on a bike with no protection.

I must be really screwed. I own both a busa & a harley. I'll be 38 next week. At least I don't drink, and I have good eyesight.

This is caused by all those "Chopper" programs on TV. It's increased bike sales, but people think it's cool to tool around on a bike with no protection.
You hit it right on the head! VABUSA has the right thinking as well.

The article stated (Not a quote, but you get what I'm saying) "deaths in people over 40 rose from 33 to 39." Well if 8000 more people over 40 were riding this year than last year and only 6 more of them died, then yes more people died, but in actuality the percentage of older people involved in fatalities actually decreased.

Thraherfox...since your older you should understand this next point (wisdom comes with age right grandpa?
smile.gif
Statistics by themselves are useless. Statistics can be made to say anything. I can have a statistician do some stats and with the results he comes up with I can make it seem that one thing is true or the exact opposite is true (yes, using the exact same stats.) The saying the "stats don't lie" is a huge farce because numbers can be made to appear either way...just as in the above case.

2.) The media sucks. Whenever someone comes up with a new study or new statistics the media jumps all over it and displays it as truth, when in fact it is skewed. The biggest example: ATKINS DIET (I use this because I'm a dietitian and this is the biggest example in my line of work). The media says this is the shiznat, but read anything by anyone who knows anything about nutrition and you'll find out it's junk.

I agree. You see them all the time without protection. Most of the Harley riders around here are out on poker runs which end up in bars and I have seen many that can hardly walk let alone ride. Dumb asses! Not that sport bikers don't do the same thing. Atleast most everyone on this board has the brains not to drink and ride their bike! Very smart and responsible!

Ron, Yep it's mostly Harleys and custom riders who havent riden in years and with trpple digit income or great financing and who watch to many TV shows & wanna be young guns again. Can u say mid lif crisis? :0

I just got back to Calif from my home in Hawaii and it is so strange to see so many riders with out lids ...
wow.gif

sad.gif

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106364082 -->

interesting article to say the least. I'll say I've seen just as many HD as sport bike riders down or killed around here BUT I do see that the younger HD riders are geared up while the older ones dont have much if any on (maybe a club vest or something and a beanbag for a helmet).....interestingly enough, the opposite is true for sport bikers. The younger crowd has little or no protective gear, but 99% of the time has a full face helmet on. The older sport bike crowd is all geared up and look like they are going to the track
cool.gif

Guess its all perception but here's my take on it

Young HD owners think they better protect their investment and hides, they wear gear.
Older HD owners think they are bullet proof and can afford to fix it if they break it.
Young sport bike owners think they are bullet proof and can heal or won't get hurt if they wreck.
Older sport bike owners are the ones that healed up and realize skin is priceless
wink.gif

cool.gif

cool.gif

Don't worry old guys, I would be willing to bet that 90% of the fatalities were on Harleys. Sounds like typical RUBs to me!! You are a lot better off riding something that actually has power, great brakes, and can turn.
biggrin.gif
Dude your right....

They are called Fuggin Born agains and they are over represented in crash/fatality stats and largely they are on Heavyweight Cruisers.

Why? Because that is the fuggin Status symbol Dejour...

So Disregard man, this is nothing new, and the Busa is still a STUPID first bike, NO WAY AROUND IT....
smile.gif

It's all good man...

How many of those 40 and over bikers were killed by 40 and over cagers?
rock.gif

I have to agree with BillBell, I've seen them that is Harley riders very drunk in their club parking lots, when you suggest something like "need a taxi" You get something back like " I was riding bikes when you were still in diapers,a couple of drinks arent going to affect me!"
rock.gif

I never quit riding-- helps @ 53  Thanks T-Fox
You have to stay tunned on a bike not just weekend riding.  I have pushed the limits far beyond many of my younger conterparts. I am 51 now and feel like 30 when I ride.  I have been riding for some 36 years and still enjoy riding everyday that I am on the bike..

I have lots of friends and some relatives that want to get started in riding. Most think they can just get on and ride ride ride. I try to talk most into at least taking a riding class. I have seen to many new and older inexperienced riders, and young inexperienced riders get hurt. You can usally tell by the amout of miles many custom bikers ride, 1,000 miles a season not much for experience.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106424128 -->

Back