Ok, lets talk vehicle warrantys.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
So my truck is approaching 100k and I have 10k left on the factory warranty. I did some shopping last night and an stand alone warranty for my truck runs 3600 for 24 months. Thats an "easy" 157.00 payment per month. I dont think so........
So, what do you have, where did you get it, and what did it cost you? Will the dealer have the better extended warranty? Keep in mind, I have to have something that will cover a 4x4 turbo deisel.

Thanks guys. :bowdown:

I have an extended warranty on my Super Duty. It was given to me free from Ford when they Gave me my new truck.

Purchasing a warranty is Las Vegas. Most of the time you loose. It is only a bet you make with the insurer that something will go wrong. And they bet that nothing will go wrong. They will win 8 times out of 10.

Just take $75.00 a month and put it in a dedicated account for that purpose. And don't use it like the government, stealing it for other things.......

This will be your own insurance company, you will win either way.

I went through this last year. My understanding is the dealer sells you a third party provider. It is in no way the same coverage the manufacturer offers. There are lots of little provisions that protect them from paying a claim to you. One provider could turn you down if you didn't have all the recommended maintenance service done by the dealer. Oh the fine print! :banghead:
What I was recommended to do, as have others on my Lexus forum, is to take the money and put it in a CD. Basically you insure yourself.

I went through this last year. My understanding is the dealer sells you a third party provider. It is in no way the same coverage the manufacturer offers. There are lots of little provisions that protect them from paying a claim to you. One provider could turn you down if you didn't have all the recommended maintenance service done by the dealer. Oh the fine print! :banghead:
What I was recommended to do, as have others on my Lexus forum, is to take the money and put it in a CD. Basically you insure yourself.

Every manufacturer has their own extended warranties. The dealer usually will not offer them to you. They make more money on third party warranties.
I always tell them I want to see the FACTORY warranty, and I read it before I make up my mind.

Never been a fan of giving someone else MY money to give back to ME in the event that something MIGHT go wrong and lose it if it doesnt.

I do my best on maintenence and keep the emergency fund for any and all of life's unexpected events.

James if you start putting some cash away now, by the time that Beautiful and i am sure well maintained truck of yours needs some work done, you will have a fortune saved up!

Then you can buy me a nice present for the advice! :laugh:

I purchased an extended warranty for my truck when I bought it used, I had a couple of problems and both times the warranty for sure helped, if not I would have had to pay big $$$, now im not saying that everyone's experience will be the same, just saying I had good luck with the one I had, cant remember the name of it but it was thru Chevy, and yes u can buy one from the dealer maybe at a better price and one they prefer to deal with, so i would ask your favorite dealer and see what they offer. good luck:thumbsup:

Factory extended warranties are way more expensive than a third party warranty .
This is why the third party ones are more popular .
Having been in the business for more than a dozen years I would like others say just try to put some money aside for anything that may go wrong . It's your truck your familiar with it and have taken good care of it so just save some for a rainy day.
If you were buying a used one than I would suggest buying a warranty for it but since you aren't just save some .
You say Turbo Diesel ? If it's a Dodge then you should trade it for a Ford :)

i bought a extended marriage warrenty...company went out of buisness next day.

Factory extended warranties are way more expensive than a third party warranty .
This is why the third party ones are more popular .
Having been in the business for more than a dozen years I would like others say just try to put some money aside for anything that may go wrong . It's your truck your familiar with it and have taken good care of it so just save some for a rainy day.
If you were buying a used one than I would suggest buying a warranty for it but since you aren't just save some .
You say Turbo Diesel ? If it's a Dodge then you should trade it for a Ford :)

It is a Ford. :poke: Who would buy a dodge? :laugh:

Truck 001.jpg

Last edited:
Keep it going guys. Sure I can put back 75 a month for the next 2 years. But thats only 1800. If I have to replace the engine in this bad boy, I am looking at 15k. I do the maint. on her, at the dealer.
What got me to thinking about it Juli's car just had a transmission leak, fixed under warranty or it would have cost me about 500 in labor and parts.

Keep it going guys. Sure I can put back 75 a month for the next 2 years. But thats only 1800. If I have to replace the engine in this bad boy, I am looking at 15k. I do the maint. on her, at the dealer.
What got me to thinking about it Juli's car just had a transmission leak, fixed under warranty or it would have cost me about 500 in labor and parts.

Ask your dealer what 3rd party they deal with maybe the can get you a good deal on a warranty, its to thier advantage anyway...

I bought a used '01 BMW 740iL, read up on common issues before I bought it. Ran a VIN check and noted the car DID NOT yet have "known" problems come up.

I did the math (parts and labor) if I paid a shop out-of-pocket to do the work (I am a PLASTIC mechanic). Compared it to the price of an extended warranty (36months/36K miles) and cost of warranty was cheaper.

So I bought the warranty and like clockwork, wear-and-tear issues came up (gaskets, window regulator, suspension, etc.) Sure glad I got the warranty for this car.

Buy used and take the savings and put in a savings account and use that for maintenance. Bought a 94 Honda accord as a work car 110,000 miles one owner for $2,900 I have easily put an additional 40k since last year, had to replace radiator and thermostat (combined about $100) no complaints and I get 36 highway miles per gallon. The gas savings alone compared to my truck have paid for the car.

As for advice on your situation diesels don't really give alot of problems but when they do it cost a fortune especially if you pay someone to do the work. I would look at my finances and just weigh out the cost, $157 a month for insurance that you will loose if not used but will likely cost insurance company more if you do use it, or $157 a month in your own account and hopefully have the amount saved that is needed IF you need it. It really your choice man. Good luck:thumbsup:

It is a Ford. :poke: Who would buy a dodge? :laugh:

Ford : F-250: eBay Motors (item 180579046890 end time Nov-01-10 07:flamethrowing::11 PDT)

Nice , my brother in law is trying to sell one just like it .

The actual cost of the extended warranty compared to selling price is about 60%.
They whack you on that !
Also while it may cover 'internal parts' it may not cover and entire engine replacement ?
You really need to study whichever one your looking at .
Trust me. My F&I mgr has a 200 page book on ext warranties alone .
Can tailor term , miles, coverages, deductibles and a myriad of other things too numerous to list here.
Bumper to Bumper premium care with zero deductible is only one I would recommend and of course it's the most exp.

Note: not sure how flametrower worked itself into eBay link but I left it alone ?

I also should point out that my brother inlaws truck I linked above has 220,000 miles on it and is still running strong . Even after being rebuilt with 08 parts. His is an 02 with 08 body on it but engine is still strong after 220,000 clicks on it ! So 100k is still fine .

Extended Warranty Bankruptcies, 7 February 2006

It seemed to be a good read. From what I read if you dealer is offering a third party you going to have to follow the trail all the way to the source. Companies offering policies from other companies or backed by a 4th or 5 th party and you may well find that the starting point for the deal was outside US law oversight or jurisdiction.

If you google extended warranty company bankrupt you will see why some people turn to crime. Thousands upon thousands of people driving around feeling a sense of security, not even knowing that they have been ripped off. Holding on to a piece of paper, not realizing thats it's worthless till they reach for it in their time of greatest need, only to realize they have been raped.

If it isn't by Ford which it probably isn't don't waste your time. The list seems endless of the companies that took the money and ran. Couldn't even find the article on the company that left people holding nearly a billion dollars in bad policy's.

I am not even going to let you know how low I can go to resolve and issue of a blown motor or tranny if I had too. :whistle: Save your money for the rainy day

You probably a good guy and wouldn't take the low the road, make no mistake crime does pay, good guys are struggling and busting their butts and the bad guys are living in the Cayman Islands being waited on hand and foot with your money.

Extended Warranty Bankruptcies, 7 February 2006

It seemed to be a good read. From what I read if you dealer is offering a third party you going to have to follow the trail all the way to the source. Companies offering policies from other companies or backed by a 4th or 5 th party and you may well find that the starting point for the deal was outside US law oversight or jurisdiction.

If you google extended warranty company bankrupt you will see why some people turn to crime. Thousands upon thousands of people driving around feeling a sense of security, not even knowing that they have been ripped off. Holding on to a piece of paper, not realizing thats it's worthless till they reach for it in their time of greatest need, only to realize they have been raped.

If it isn't by Ford which it probably isn't don't waste your time. The list seems endless of the companies that took the money and ran. Couldn't even find the article on the company that left people holding nearly a billion dollars in bad policy's.

I am not even going to let you know how low I can go to resolve and issue of a blown motor or tranny if I had too. :whistle: Save your money for the rainy day

You probably a good guy and wouldn't take the low the road, make no mistake crime does pay, good guys are struggling and busting their butts and the bad guys are living in the Cayman Islands being waited on hand and foot with your money.

Hmm, theres some food for thought.

Back