I hate home warranty companies...

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
American Home Shield, this will be my second year with maintaining a home warranty. I had payment set up via credit card so they can auto draft the monthly payment. I dont know what happened, but I get a collection notice for the remainder of the balance in the mail yesterday. WTH? Can they do that? Currently on hold with them, estimated time is 15 minutes...:banghead: Anyone ever deal with this company? How can the send me to collections for future services?

I had them once but it was part of the sale when I bought the home so I neverr had to deal with the payment part. Hope you get it fixed....

I've had them for 11 yrs and have never had a problem like this.

Not sure how they could put you into collections. Doesn't sound right to me.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Got it straightened out, had to pay 3 months arreage I didnt know about, but I guess we are back on track. They apologized for not attempting to call me about the problem and would fix the collections effort. Just burns me that they didnt even call me.

i would give it a month or so and check my credit rating if i was you, they may fix it on their end but not take care of the reporting agencies :beerchug:

We have a subscription to a credit reporting agency, they send me all three companies rating every month. Have not seen it yet.

I had problems with them 4 years ago. As big as the Oklahoma City metro is they only have 1 person contracted to do AC work. And he is 30-40 minutes south of Okc.
It took 4 days to come look at my failed AC compressor due to the workload. Then he is not able to pickup parts at one of the dozen or more suppliers in town. Instead AHS contracts with someone else. They shipped (by bicycle I think) the part from the East coast. It was down 16-18 days. Of course most of these were 100 degree or very close to it.

I had very much trouble getting them to answer the phone or return the calls. UNTIL it expired. The sales people were top notch in bugging me trying to get me to re-sign with them.

Look at the BBB info on them.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/70017-home-warranty-service-contracts.html

I will say it is still running (knocking on wood here). They would not replace the unit, only the compressor within the unit. The compressor came in and it was configured with the inlet and outlet like the original. He had to put an elbow on and rotate it 90 degrees to connect it. Now the compressor is sitting loose in the condenser unit. I could have thrown a fit and made them fix it correctly but they would have only ordered another part. If even the right part arrived. After many phone calls, they did reimburse me (part anyhow) for a small portable ac unit. That dropped the temp a bit in the bedroom. That was instead of a small part of a motel room the contract was to cover.

The tech didn't seem to be too happy with the company either. From other techs I heard later they are not very good about paying the bills.

But it has worked for 4 years.

As soon as this contract expires I will not re-sign with them. I am worried about the water tanks an a/c units. They work fine but the water tank upstairs makes some strange noises.

Is there a better option than AHS for this service? Our house came with a one year contract, but we've kept them for the last three years because our A/C unit is so old. It's 23 now, and probably ready to kick the bucket any day.

How much does this home warranty cost?
Heck a new water tank is only a couple hundred at Home Depot?

Professor how much had you paid in monthly fees to simply get a new compressor?

Not knocking it just curious about cost vs benefit.

Is there a better option than AHS for this service? Our house came with a one year contract, but we've kept them for the last three years because our A/C unit is so old. It's 23 now, and probably ready to kick the bucket any day.

There may be and maybe my problem was isolated. BBB currently shows 3161 complaints in the last 3 years. While they have an A+ rating, that means 3161 people had to file a complaint with the BBB to possible get it resolved. That does not mean it was resolved to the customer satisfaction. It also does not mean the customer was right, I know that.
I may not have been a good candidate. At the time we purchased the house we were over extending ourselves (by our standards, not by the lenders standards). We were preparing for our existing home to be on the market for a year and having to maintain both while getting the other ready to sell etc. A 3K bill to replace an AC unit would have hurt and we thought the warrantee might be a good idea. We even bought the “SEERâ€￾ the insurance add-on in case a unit had to be replaced. This would have brought it up to current EPA standards.
4 months later the AC did fail. The techs recommendation was to replace the condenser. AHS refused and fixed it the cheapest way they could regardless of it being the correct way. Also they did not care for the discomfort we would face by not having it for a long period of time in the hottest time of the year. I offered to pay to get a new condenser unit (and A coil) from a local supplier and they reimburse what they would have paid to fix it their way. They refused. I ended up with a half baked repair on a 9 year old unit. My fix would have resulted in a better repair within a week. (within 2 days if AHS was not involved at all)
I have had to fix the unit twice since then, although it was minor repairs I made myself. Once a start capacitor, the second was a failed condenser fan.
Maybe I’m not a good candidate for any home warrantee program. I believe in repairing things correctly with quality parts so it is a long term repair. I’m also capable for some repairs myself so your results may vary.
These programs are like most insurance deals. Most people in the long run will be better off without them if you look at total dollars spent. However for some a item failure can be a serious financial strain. So I understand the need.
I don’t know who is best but I’d research candidates carefully. Customer feedback (remember the dissatisfied ones are more likely to give feedback) and look at the fine print. How long do they have to repair an item, etc. They all have been doing it a long time so they can twist the contracts (and circumstances) to their favor very easily.

There are many different home warranty companies out there, just do a google search.

Like I said, I've had AHS for 11 yrs (around 400 a yr) and my house is 34 yrs old. I've had my heating unit replace, water heater replaced, bunch of plumbing work done, my oven, stove top fixed and dryer fixed twice.

I've had nothing but good experiences with the company. I'm sorry you didn't Professor. I know it must have been frustrating to pay for a policy and not have it honored like it should have been. Maybe it's the difference in the region? I don't know but if I had the experience you did I wouldn't give them any more money.

There may be and maybe my problem was isolated. BBB currently shows 3161 complaints in the last 3 years. While they have an A+ rating, that means 3161 people had to file a complaint with the BBB to possible get it resolved. That does not mean it was resolved to the customer satisfaction. It also does not mean the customer was right, I know that.
I may not have been a good candidate. At the time we purchased the house we were over extending ourselves (by our standards, not by the lenders standards). We were preparing for our existing home to be on the market for a year and having to maintain both while getting the other ready to sell etc. A 3K bill to replace an AC unit would have hurt and we thought the warrantee might be a good idea. We even bought the “SEER” the insurance add-on in case a unit had to be replaced. This would have brought it up to current EPA standards.
4 months later the AC did fail. The techs recommendation was to replace the condenser. AHS refused and fixed it the cheapest way they could regardless of it being the correct way. Also they did not care for the discomfort we would face by not having it for a long period of time in the hottest time of the year. I offered to pay to get a new condenser unit (and A coil) from a local supplier and they reimburse what they would have paid to fix it their way. They refused. I ended up with a half baked repair on a 9 year old unit. My fix would have resulted in a better repair within a week. (within 2 days if AHS was not involved at all)
I have had to fix the unit twice since then, although it was minor repairs I made myself. Once a start capacitor, the second was a failed condenser fan.
Maybe I’m not a good candidate for any home warrantee program. I believe in repairing things correctly with quality parts so it is a long term repair. I’m also capable for some repairs myself so your results may vary.
These programs are like most insurance deals. Most people in the long run will be better off without them if you look at total dollars spent. However for some a item failure can be a serious financial strain. So I understand the need.
I don’t know who is best but I’d research candidates carefully. Customer feedback (remember the dissatisfied ones are more likely to give feedback) and look at the fine print. How long do they have to repair an item, etc. They all have been doing it a long time so they can twist the contracts (and circumstances) to their favor very easily.

Thanks for the information! The biggest reason we're keeping it is I am in school now and the cost of a new unit would be a pretty significant hit on our savings. Once I'm done, so is the "warranty."

I should add that we have called them out one time. Last fall our gas furnace would not start up, and I didn't know a thing about gas appliances at the time. They sent someone out and had it burning within a couple of hours.

Another reason why i learn to do everything myself. I hate warranties and having people work on my stuff or rely on them to come fix it or help. Can't stand it. Half the time they end up making it worse or taking forever

Back