Ok kids, lets talk comm system head sets.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Now before we get started, let me say that I am not talking about radios, there are a great number of them on the market and some work better than others, some of us have preferences for this or that. I would like to focus on head sets. Now, I have tried Chatterbox, ok, but not great, didnt like the vox feature. And the price is too high, especially since I would like to have two. I know some have Scala, great products as well, but dont they also have the speakers you have to put in the helmet and then have the mic velcroed by your mouth. I am trying to get away from the speakers in my lid. I cant hear anything above 55 to 60 mph. I have my radio turned up all the way, and those that I ride with say they can hear me loud and clear, but I cant hear them unless we are at low speeds. I have headsets in my Icon, HJC, and Shoei helmets and the results are the same. I have tried to position the speakers so they are right next to my ears to no avail. Even HJC has small pockets pre-sewn into the liner just for speakers. :banghead:
At the moment, I am using the Midland 2 pin radios, 40 channel FRS/GMRS radios, love them. This enables me to use a variety of head sets. Now the big questions, has anyone ever used throat mic's? I have been looking at the Stryker, Stryker Throat microphone for two way radio headsets . Anyone tried them? I like the idea because it allows me to use a PTT and has a small ear piece I can insert in my ear and not have speakers in my helmet. I dont care about having tunes and comms at the same time. At least this way I can take the comm ear piece out and put my ear buds in for my Mp3 when not in a group setting. I need any feedback anyone can give me about throat mic likes and dislikes before I buy. Thanks guys.

ive tried the throat mic's and they work well on anyone with a size 16 or less neck, the ones i had didnt have any adjustment and wound up in the garbage in a broken and melted mess :)

Don't have any experience with the throat mics, but I will say, I love my Autocom setup. The speakers in the helmet are plenty loud enough - in fact, I find myself turning down the volume down sometimes. That said, I also have the adapter that lets me use my Bose earbuds instead of the speakers in the helmet.

ive tried the throat mic's and they work well on anyone with a size 16 or less neck, the ones i had didnt have any adjustment and wound up in the garbage in a broken and melted mess :)

Thank you sir, my next is 16 or 15.5, cant remember.

Don't have any experience with the throat mics, but I will say, I love my Autocom setup. The speakers in the helmet are plenty loud enough - in fact, I find myself turning down the volume down sometimes. That said, I also have the adapter that lets me use my Bose earbuds instead of the speakers in the helmet.

Omar, wouldnt that require the purchase of the whole set up? I was hoping to just get a headset.

Yeah, you would need the entire Autocom system. And if you're looking for economical, just a headset/radio would be the way to go. Lots of features in the Autocom, but if you're not going to use 'em...no sense in making that investment.

Thank you Omar, I am trying to limit my expense, I have already spent over 500.00 on comms in the last two years and can't swing that investment right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, being the savy shopper that I am, I ordered this one. ixcessory: XTM880D4 Dont think it will be here for Eureka, but it will be here for Caps meet. It has a volume control on it as well, the Stryker didnt have that feature. I will give a review as soon as I can try it out.

I have the Scala FM, the FM radio is loud and clear even at speed however calls are not. Also I have a Iphone 3gs and plan on getting a chatterbox X1 bluetooth so I can run the tunes from the phone to the headset as well as calls. As far as I know this is the only headset to do A2DP compliant stereo bluetooth. If someone knows differently please educate me.

I have the Scala FM, the FM radio is loud and clear even at speed however calls are not. Also I have a Iphone 3gs and plan on getting a chatterbox X1 bluetooth so I can run the tunes from the phone to the headset as well as calls. As far as I know this is the only headset to do A2DP compliant stereo bluetooth. If someone knows differently please educate me.

Wish I could bro, dont know much about the Scala's.

scala will do you no good. Get with me and we will come up with a solution.
Stop spending money on things that don't work.
I have been chasing this monkey for many years and now have the answer. It is autocom and yes it is pricey to do all the things it is capable of. We may be able to to find a lower priced option if you want to give up all the options.
I have stepped over dollars to pick up dimes.
Start saving for an autocom system and maybe we can find something to get you by in the meantime.
The set up I have works at any speed, quality music,GPS, cell phone and FRS bike to bike.

I have been chasing this monkey for many years and now have the answer. It is autocom and yes it is pricey to do all the things it is capable of. We may be able to to find a lower priced option if you want to give up all the options.
Start saving for an autocom system and maybe we can find something to get you by in the meantime.
The set up I have works at any speed, quality music,GPS, cell phone and FRS bike to bike.

Gotta love the Autocom! "Any speed, Guaranteed!"

I'd like a link to something like that.....or at least some more info Steve ! What set up do you have ????....:super:

we can give you a transplant...:poke: :laugh: also look into other means like places that do nothing but mic;s and headsets like crown, ev, ekg and shure...ect what do you think the concert performers use?and i guarantee a concert is louder then your bike at 65 mph...anyway you may check into that as well...cost nothing to make a few calls

Last edited:
I'd like a link to something like that.....or at least some more info Steve ! What set up do you have ????....:super:

you have to pay the band if you want things to work well.
Autocom is expensive. I just got tired of experimenting and wasting money on things that did not work well.
If you are tired of spending a little money and getting things that don't work well, then step up and buy an autocom system.
You first have to decide what you want a system to do. This determines the price you will have to pay.

Last edited:
ok james i see how you are :rofl: just kidding finally got the set up like you have and
now you don't like it but its ok i can hear me just fine on about half volume up to about 100 then i have to turn it up a little

Back