Any HAM radio guys with helmet speaker kits

Liquidous

Registered
my goal, deck out my helmet with quality speakers in the ears, and a boom mic so that i can connect to my HAM Radio (Yaesu VX74).. figured id forget the FRS helmet kits, as the HAM can do so much more, seperate from the bike. i will also add a PTT button to the handlebars (push to talk).

now what is out there that i do not know of, besides these two sites.

option 1.

http://www.radiogadgets.com/motorcycle-headset.html
check out the MC series headset for single riders. different adapters. looks like a simple kit, does exactly what i need, has expandability - but no noise cancelling from teh wind etc.
price is the best part 125.00 for each kit. i need two kits for two bikes, so thats 250.00 total.

option 2.

http://www.autocomamerica.com/docs/products.cfm

all the above has, with extra noise cancelling technology in the ear speakers, for wind, and other road noise, this is VERY nice. except its 419.00 x2 = 840bucks for 2 kits.

have one gentleman on the HAM / radio forums that says he has the autocom kit and it is the only way to go, quality, do it once do it right kind of solution.

anyone else out there install speaker kits to their helmets.

my goal.

have the speaker in helmet connect to my ham radio, and my ipod.. thats it.

thanks all

Yes, I've done it. Went with an Autocom system called Active-7. The intercom system comes complete with earphones and helmet boom mic. You wire the components inside your helmet yourself, and it's very easy to do. Most modern helmets come with "cut-outs" for earphone pieces to be installed under the fabric.

I have the complete Autocom intercom system mounted in my FJR1300, along with ham (50 watt VHF/UHF) and FRS radio gear, MP3 audio, radar detector audio, and cell phone audio. All really nice for cruising along on my FJR.

As for my Hayabusa, I currently have nothing wired on it, and not sure I ever will. Reason? Concentration. I haven't decided whether it's wise to be dealing with all those distractions while piloting a rocket. ;)

If you become interested in the Autocom intercom system, give Kieth a call (918-446-2245). He'll give you a good price.

Butch
KF4HR

Forgot to mention, the Autocom intercom systems have built in high tech noise-reduction circuitry, comes with waterproof PTT switch, headset/mic, and most of the cabling you'll need. Additional plug & play cabling is available for various types of radios; Yaesu, Kenwood, etc.

nice fjr... i most likely will save the frustration time and money and do it right with autocom... if you don't mind me asking how much did you purchase your kit for? thanks and kind regards

I believe I paid somewhere around $250 or so for mine through Kieth, which included the intercom, several cables, the headset pieces and boom mic. Kieth is one of the few Autocom dealers in the US. He's located in Tulsa, Oklahoma and gives forum users a nice discount. A real nice guy to deal with. He owns several bikes and has had a couple of Hayabusa's too, so he knows what he's talking about. He also sells just about any cable or accessory you'll ever need to get your bike wired for sound; cell phone cables for your specific cell phone, radar detector cables, distribution power panels, etc.

You can't go with the Autocom Active-7 system, especially if you plan to interface Ham gear in. It's basically plug&play on certain Ham HT's (Kenwood and Yaesu), and also plug&play for FRS radios too. Unfortunately there's only one radio input on the intercom unit, but I'm working on an switching arrangement that will allow me to switch the PTT line between the FRS and Ham radios - and still hear both if I want.

Most prefer to use FRS radios for basic bike-to-bike comm, just because the hookup is super simple, but I wanted both. As for Ham gear, I went with an ICOM IC-208 on my FJR. I like the idea of having 50 watts on-board should I need the extra range.

I installed an Active-7 on my wife's Z750S too (she's also a Ham). If you're careful when you mount your headset pieces in your helmet (exactly over your ears), the sound quality is amazingly clear - even at high speeds. The Autocom headset pieces have a wide frequency range (100hz-22Khz I believe), so you won't hear any tinty sound - just good quality music and communications. Autocom intercoms have a nice muting feature too. If you have your music playing and a cell or radio call comes through, the music volume automatically mutes down so you can hear the incoming call come through. But what really sold me on the Autocom system is its audio feedback feature. When you talk into the mic you hear yourself in the headset pieces, just like a telephone, and your audio feedback is adjustable. This is great because it gives you an idea of how loud to speak into the mic (no accidental shouting or speaking too low).

Hope this helps with your decision. What's your call?

Butch

this is extremely helpful.  thanks for your input.
no call sign avail yet. waiting to take my exam, using un-restricted bands right now.
smile.gif

so what do you have for your ham gear, the PRO-7-Sport?
you are saying i can NOT go with the Active 7 system with my vx74 yaesu... ive heard from others that the pro-7-sport has specific adapter for the radio...

you said you paid about 250.00 for that pro 7 system? if that is true that is excellent, the website says 419.00 and i need two, and thats a lot of money.

<!--EDIT|Liquidous
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123864833 -->

Check on the Autocom website and read up on the 3 systems they sell. It's been awhile since I bought mine and I've forgotten which model does what. But I do remember the top-of-the-line Autocom model (whatever its called) has a power output connector for a Kenwood FRS radio. I didn't want that, so I went with the Autocom Model Active-7. Get the Autocom Active-7 model. It'll do everything you want and more. It'll provide all the Ham interfacing you'll need, along with interfacing for music, radar, etc. Yes, about $255 for the Active-7 system, but only through Kieth - otherwise you'll be paying the $400+ retail price. Bottom line, call Kieth.

Ham gear that I own? Name it and I probably own it. You'll find (especially once you get above the Tech License), there's many, many avenue's that you'll want to explore in the Ham hobby. That equates to lots of gear. I'm active on HF (DX'ing), Moon Bounce, Satellite operation, Slow Scan TV, ATV, digital modes, and even CW on occasion. My suggestion would be an ICOM IC-706IIg - it's small and does everything fairly well, although for your bike you might want to go with an IC-208H dual-bander; super small, or better yet an HT as long as 5 watts will get you to where you want to be.

Back