OILS... OILS... OILS...arrrghhh

Aussie Busa

Registered
I'm going to change the oil this weekend, what oil do you guys recommend for a turbo busa.??

And what distance intervals do you do your change..

Most of my riding is around town and hwy..

Cheers..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Just about anything full synthetic,I live in an extremely hot area of the world, while I dont have a turbo,I run the 20/50 mobile 1 full synthetic in the summer.You need to keep the bearings well protected in your application, cant think of anything better than most full synthetics.NJ.

Most of my riding is around town and hwy..
I look at oils like tools . I learn them then pick the one for the job at hand .

In you neck of the woods I'd be using one of the higher end Motul's or the Fuch's Titan 5w-50 . Mobil bike oil if available is another nice one . The 20w-50 there with the Mobil , 15w-50 Motul .

They are using this in 7k HP dragsters . I think it to be good enough for a bike down under .
titan_SUPERSYNSL.jpg

Thanks guys... What else are people useing for the turbo's???

I got a full synthetic Motul 10w 40 sitting in the garage, Looks like this will maybe work..

What does the numbers mean... like 10w 40
rock.gif

Cheers
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

I use full syn 15w50 Mobil1 I hav been very happy wih the results. I have nottried the new bled yet becuae I have enough of the red cap for a cpouple more oil changes.

Oil is oil. As long as you change it every 3k especially on a turbo car/busa... You;ll be fine. I'll go with whatever is cheaper at the time. Use Motorcycle oil.

I'm not a cheap ass. I build/tune high horspower race cars. Been there done that to many time.

I've had great luck with Silkolene Pro-4 10W40 and Pro-4 Plus 10W50. The key to your full Synthetics and to make sure your NOT wasting money is to go the distance and be certain you are using a synthetic that uses only Pure Ester base stocks. Your other base stocks the type II and III cracked hydrocarbons and what not found in Mobil and Castrol are barely able to be called synthetics.

So, I'd stick with a premium motorcycle oil or an Automotive oil without a bunch of friction modifiers, and change my oil every 2-3K miles. Or Switch to a Full premium synthetic like Silkolene and change oil every 5k or so without worry.

My .02 and I haven't had a single unhappy customer come back yet.

I guess I am part of the minority, but no full synthetics for me. I use Castrol Actevo 4T 10W-40 in both the 1000 and the turbo Busa.
The clutch seems to grab better than when I tried Synthetics. Also, I change the oil every 2000 miles because of the Florida heat.

My friend just bought an 03 Kawasaki 636 and the previous owner put Mobile 1 Synthetic. Where can he get it from? The person he bought the bike from lives about an hour and a half away so we cant go where he went.

I use mobile 1 15/50 and change it every 10K miles.

People spend way too much time worrying about oils IMO. I truly believe synths are better, but mostly for change intervals. If you are trying for 200K miles between engine rebuilds, synth's are also better for that. But for the average motorcycle, any oil changed semi-frequently (depending on which oil and which bike) it really doesn't matter. How many miles are you going to realistically expect out of your bike before you sell it/trade it/crash it/etc? Most people its under 20k miles, and ain't nothing going to happen thats related to what oil you used in that time frame.

True Uncle Bob, but i heard people say that you have to choose the right oil for the turbo's due to the extreme heat and that chooseing the wrong oil will burn quicker and not handle the heat as well...

Just throwing that up in the air... what are peeps comments to that?
rock.gif

The key to your full Synthetics and to make sure your NOT wasting money is to go the distance and be certain you are using a synthetic that uses only Pure Ester base stocks.  Your other base stocks the type II and III cracked hydrocarbons and what not found in Mobil and Castrol are barely able to be called synthetics.  
There are but only a few 100% Ester base oil formulas available and the Silkolene Pro4 ain't one of them that I can tell . These full ester oils are race only and some are hard on the soft white metals , seals and more . Some of the non race engine formulas using primarily Esters with some Pao are borderline tough on said metals . Bench corrosion tests have been set for just such .

Esters have to incorporate some PAO into the formula to offset seal swell just as PAO synthetics need some Ester to offset seal shrinkage . Ester does other groovy things but too much a topic to go into here .

All the Mobil car synthetics uses true PAO's with AN correction fluids . Pao's are group 4 and the Exxon/Mobil's AN's are classified in the group 5 category right along with other Esters such as PE , D-Basic , the newer Complex Esters and others .

The Mobil Truck and SUV 5w-40 and both of their bike oils are PAO with around 30% Ester and do not use the AN fluids .

Yes Castrol automotove uses primarly Group III but they also uses a group III called Slax Wax in some of their oils . With these two base oils they still blend a certain amount of Pao and Ester both to obtain the viscosity target and to maintain seal swell in all their oils but to varying degree's as stated . Same deal with their bike oils as far as I've been able to determine .

Hope this helps .

Aussie Busa

Your correct . It's very wise to use a true synthetic in a M/C turbo motor . The bearings get very hot and can coke mere mortal oils . HT/HS comes into play as well . In the automotive world for example a 10w-30 dino's cutoff point for many manufactures is 86F . Using Mobils 10w-30 Synthetic as example one can use that oil in place of any 40wt above that temp when a maker calls for such . That there speaks volumes IMO since it's just a 10 centistroke oil whereas Castrol GTX dino 10w-40 was a 14.5 centistroke oil last I saw .
Oil is not oil anylonger with the new API SM oils that are only backward compatible to SL whereas API SL as marginal as it was IMO was backwards compatible to SG in which had abundent phos and zinc even though in those days mineral basestocks were not near the quality of todays group II and II+ .The NOACK is much better with the group II's and often approach the group III's depending on the viscosty . SL oils had the phos capped at around 900 parts per million while the new SM is at around 660 PPM vs no cap and depending on the formula SG had from 1400-1800 PPM of zinc which is the primary anti-wear additive in any oil .

I'm not sure I will ever be able to understand the Busa owner who still chooses to use dino's when they can go up to one full year on some of today's synthetics even if they just drain at 6 months while using the same filter . Thats just pizza money there but to each his own I guess since many really don't undertand the newer base oils with their vastly superior film strength , affinity to attach to metals and the newer additive technology along with the very high and long lasting TBN some of the oils have so again... to each his own .

4 quarts @ 3 bucks per quart 3 times a year or 4 quarts at 5 bucks each once per year . Engine oil analysis has quantified the results of doing the latter for me , my bikes and how they are used . The cars here that I own as well .

We all beat to different drums though so do as you like . Just my 2 cents based on what I know .
biggrin.gif

True Uncle Bob, but i heard people say that you have to choose the right oil for the turbo's due to the extreme heat and that chooseing the wrong oil will burn quicker and not handle the heat as well...

Just throwing that up in the air... what are peeps comments to that?
rock.gif
As I said.....change mine every 10K miles.

I've been turbo'd for 40K miles....no problems oil-wise

I think the oil temps are exagerated....I don't even have an oil cooler. If I was running dino oil, I would change it every 3K miles, but that goes the same with non-turbo'd engines IMO.

I've always run the Mobil 1 MX4T. Funny thing, these evil parts stores around here have all seemed to quit carrying it. I'm looking for some right now. If you're running a non-ball bearing turbo, the shaft if tirning on a boundary layer of oil. Most oils will eventually lose their shear strength as they break down from the heat. It's important to change the oil regularly, expecially on a turbo bike to keep this boundary layer working for you. Full synthetics are much better at not breaking down as quickly, but no oil can resist this for too long. Also, I haven't had any clutch slip that I can tell using full synthetics.

I've always run the Mobil 1 MX4T.  Funny thing, these evil parts stores around here have all seemed to quit carrying it.  I'm looking for some right now.  If you're running a non-ball bearing turbo, the shaft if tirning on a boundary layer of oil.  Most oils will eventually lose their shear strength as they break down from the heat.  It's important to change the oil regularly, expecially on a turbo bike to keep this boundary layer working for you.  Full synthetics are much better at not breaking down as quickly, but no oil can resist this for too long.  Also, I haven't had any clutch slip that I can tell using full synthetics.
You know it's funny that you should mention that because I can't find it here anymore either. I used to just go right down to AutoZone and pick up a few quarts, but they don't carry it anymore. I've tried Advanced Auto Parts and O'Reilly's, and they don't carry it either. What gives?
rock.gif

I've always run the Mobil 1 MX4T.  Funny thing, these evil parts stores around here have all seemed to quit carrying it.  I'm looking for some right now.  If you're running a non-ball bearing turbo, the shaft if tirning on a boundary layer of oil.  Most oils will eventually lose their shear strength as they break down from the heat.  It's important to change the oil regularly, expecially on a turbo bike to keep this boundary layer working for you.  Full synthetics are much better at not breaking down as quickly, but no oil can resist this for too long.  Also, I haven't had any clutch slip that I can tell using full synthetics.
You know it's funny that you should mention that because I can't find it here anymore either.  I used to just go right down to AutoZone and pick up a few quarts, but they don't carry it anymore.  I've tried Advanced Auto Parts and O'Reilly's, and they don't carry it either.  What gives?
rock.gif
I'll bet they can order it for you...

You know it's funny that you should mention that because I can't find it here anymore either.  I used to just go right down to AutoZone and pick up a few quarts, but they don't carry it anymore.  I've tried Advanced Auto Parts and O'Reilly's, and they don't carry it either.  What gives?
rock.gif
I'll bet they can order it for you...
I just ordered some of the Maxima Maxum 4 oil from Schnitz. I've heard some good things about the stuff, so I'll give it a shot at the next oil change.

Back