slight tick/knock slightly above idle till 3krpm

Quiksilver

Registered
2002 turbo busa base spacer 14k miles. Just installed turbo fresh from rebuild, big cc oil feed line and check valve. Did oil and filter change with a different oil than I normally use(same weight just different brand). Made sure everything was super clean, primed scavenge pump, ran oil through turbo ttill it flowed out the oil drain. Ran for 3 minutes at idle as recommended. Now I have a slight tick/ knock slightly above idle to 3000 rpm, goes away above 3000. Not sure where to go from here.....

Idleling at operating temp sounds fine. Maybe 500-750 rpm higher than idle it makes the noise and goes up with engine speed till 3krpm. It sounds like it's coming from the top right of the motor kinda close to the valve cover. I'm gonna pull out the broom stick later lol.

Hyd or manual tensioner ?
sounds like my older 750's with the dodgy tensioner, sort of like a diesel up to about 3500 then goes quiet , only fix for them is the manual conversion

check the top guide is tight and not cracked then either adjust a manual tensioner or replace the worn hydraulic one

To be honest I don't have a if it's hydraulic or manual. I'm new to the hayabusa internals so I don't know how to check or what to look for.

ok, as sitting on the bike, right side end back of the cylinder block , tensioner will either have a hydraulic hose coming from the right front of motor, or it will be a long bolt attached to a blue anodised mount

ok, as sitting on the bike, right side end back of the cylinder block , tensioner will either have a hydraulic hose coming from the right front of motor, or it will be a long bolt attached to a blue anodised mount

Thanks for the info. I will check soon and report what I find.

It's looks like it's hydraulic. I can see hoses coming out the back side and going to the fron. I can hear it at idle now, it not super loud. Seems to go away after running for 5 or 10 min after it hits op temp. Could it make the sound just from changing the oil???

Hey guys and gals just Got back from dyno. Made 237 hp and 135 tq(will post some pics soon). The tuner said the noise was slight slack in the timing chain and went away within five minutes or so. He recommended upping the oil pressure. I was planning on getting the high volume oil pump gear, just couldn't get it before dyno time. Could the oil gear help with the noise or is it time to redo the timing chain? Should I convert to a manual tensioner?

I prefer the std hydraulic tensioner in most applications, and if it were my roadbike,i would get a new one ,install it and never have to think about it again
The hydraulic is only assisting the ratchet inside, if its noisy the ratchet will be wearing , extra oil pressure will not help solve the real problem

I was leaning more towards the standard tensioner. For now It is mostly a road bike with the occasional trip to the drag strip(near future I hope). I will do some research on timing chain replacement. Thanks for the info!

Back