Oil on the stator.

tntbusa

Registered
I am have a charging issue with my '99 and am checking the stator. I decided to take a quick look at it since I was having a hard time getting the plug apart. When I pulled the cover off there was oil in there. I don't think this is normal but not too sure and if not is there a seal or something I need to replace. Thanks

Normal.

How many miles on that stator? What did the stator windings look like? Shiny copper, dull grey, etc.??

I'm not sure how far along you are with your troubleshooting, but I found this website to be very helpful when I was trying to Ghostbuster an electrical demon on my 04 Honda VFR:

Fault Finding Guide - Motorcycle Electrical Fault Finding Guide - ElectroSport Industries

At the end of the text, there's a link in red for a PDF. This PDF is a very detailed, step by step diagnostic procedure that you can use to nail down the culprit. All you really need is a multimeter and you're good to go.

Hope this helps.

The bike has about 41k and it is the original stator. The stator looks good except it has a nice coating of oil on it. I will check out that web that site thanks.

there should be oil on it. There's actualy a small squirter that direct oil at the flywheel and ofcourse the stator as well.

Cool Thanks I was a bit concerned. I really appreciate the quick reply's. Now on to diagnosing the charging prob.

Back