oil light came on :down:

john32303

Registered
went on a ride yesterday and all was fine. took her out today and was down shifting onto the on ramp and the oil light came on and shut the motor down. got it home and a few hours later put teh key in to see if the oil light would go off. it stays on, but it will start and run. light goes off when its running. any ideas on what in the world is going on?

thanks

Not to point out the obvious, but the bike won't shut itself off if there is no oil. It'll seize up, but it won't shut itself off. Sounds like your kickstand switch is going bad. Probably cut the motor off, then you saw the oil light. The oil light is always on when the bike isn't running (I think I'm right here on that :dunno: )

^^^ Good theory! +1 :thumbsup:

Is it possible you pushed the stand off the switch while down shifting?

Not to point out the obvious, but the bike won't shut itself off if there is no oil. It'll seize up, but it won't shut itself off. Sounds like your kickstand switch is going bad. Probably cut the motor off, then you saw the oil light. The oil light is always on when the bike isn't running (I think I'm right here on that :dunno: )

You are right the oil light is on when the bike is not running. I think it is an oil pressure light so regaurdles of the oil level as long as you have for the system to cycle oil at the proper pressure the light will stay dark.

Does any one know were the oil pickup is? I wonder if he managed to slosh enough oil away from the pick up to cause a low pressure situation. Given the race pedigree of the GSXR line of motors I doubt it.

Just so you know the oil has to be check with the bike vertical. Yep two man operation without a front wheel chock.

First place to look is behide the clutch basket. The oil pump is driven off the the clutch basket.
Has the clutch been taken apart recently?

If it lost oil pressure you would know it. the light comes on at 7 psi, it's to late by then, you wouldn't have rode it home or cranked it up today it would be siezed.. check ground wire on right side of the sensor..

Back