Oil in airbox?

N2O5O

Donating Member
Registered
Put new plugs in my 99 busa the other day and when I removed the airbox I noticed a little bit of fresh engine oil sitting in the lower part of the box where the velocity stacks are. It was right where the tube from the crankcase breather is at. normal or what?
Thanks

Guess no one has seen this before, I am thinking it is from the crankcase breather as the vent hose goes straight to the airbox.

this is a sign of some compression blowing past the piston rings and into the engine/crankcase.
If its a little oil and its a high mileage bike its normal but does mean your motor is showing signs of wear and tear.
If its putting a lot in there then you should start considering gettin the motor freshened up.......

Not a high milage bike at all. Bike runs excellent and has alway been well maintained. I will do a leakdown on it today when I get home. On these bikes what is an exceptable percentage.

Hell if it out of the exceptable percentage when I leak it......guess its time for a 1397.......
biggrin.gif

I hope not, bike has under 12k on it. It was very little amount of oil. But I am still going to do a leakdown on it and see. Bike has never been abused or sprayed, yet. No smoke or anything like that.

If the bike had ever fallen(been laid on its side) on its side, the oil could have gotten in there or from wheelies.

Not a high milage bike at all. Bike runs excellent and has alway been well maintained. I will do a leakdown on it today when I get home. On these bikes what is an exceptable percentage.
anywhere from 96%-99% you will her it hissin' just check to see if its coming out of the exhaust or oil fill. If you have a tester you should know the drill..

Leakdown was excellent. Talked with a very well known busa builder, If he wants to he will sound off not my position to put peoples names up unless they wanna, told me nutin to worry about totally normal.
Oh well gave me a reason to do a leakdown and its good to know it looks good.

the crankcase breather is routed from the valve cover into the airbox to help burn noxious gases produced...it's an emissions thing.
some oil accumulation over time is normal.
the oil travels the tube almost in a vapor and then condenses once in the airbox.
if you do not like it there...then just find a quaint spot to mount a catch can...and route a pice of hose to it. just be sure to check it every now and then...nothing worse than an over full catch can spilling a little while mid-wheelie.

Guess no one has seen this before, I am thinking it is from the crankcase breather as the vent hose goes straight to the airbox.

I've just found the very same problem..I've talked to the head guy in the local Suzuki dealer that I use, and he's always been spot on for me...he says the busa engine has very few problems...and suggests that I have possibly overfilled the engine oil when topping up (this is also rare !!!), thus having the effect of having oil sucked up the crankcase breather hose attached to the airbox...and is far more likely than piston rings on my first gen (1999) hayabusa.....wheelies are another which cause the same problem...the cure he says is simple...clean out airbox and breather hose, drain some oil out through sump plug and change airfilter as oil will have contaminated it....this also causes on occasion a stutter at low rev,s as will a blocking fuel strainer.....hope this helps guys,..he's never been wrong when given me advice..and he's been at this dealer over 30 years..he really knows his stuff and is factory trained and does regular training updates.....i'll let you know how I get with this.....
:bowdown:

Back