Oil cooler relocation?

69ls1

Registered
This is just a thought, it may be stupid. Just wanted to know if anybody ever tried this or may know reasons not to. I wanted to know if anybody ever relocated the oil cooler under the tail section in front of the rear wheel in an extended swingarm application? May not get the most airflow there, but would still be better than nothing. Would there be any issues that the cooler would be mounted a little bit higher than stock? Any oil pressure or flow loss problems?  I am just looking for a place to mount an oil cooler. It is a little tight up front and I am not sure if I can get one mounted up there. Any insight, right or wrong would be helpful.

Thanks.

why do you need to run an oil cooler?

If you relocate a cooler to a location that gets less air flow you may want to loof at bigger coolers or a sucker/pusher fan to mount on it, but make sure there's some breathing room. You also need to factor in the axtra oil since you're adding capacity. You may also have to factor in an additional pump to counter and pressure flow/pressure reductions. Also at startup it would take longer for the oil to circulate through the whole oil system.

Lots of things to take into account.

I dont need to run a oil cooler. I would think that since I removed it to install the turbo it would be beneficaial to mount it elsewhere. There are good benefits of running an oil cooler. Besides if Suzuki thought it definetly would not be beneficial I doubt they would have spent money to put one on. I just feel overall it would keep the oil, engine, and overall temps a little lower. As far as capacity, it would probably not even add a half of quart to the system. No matter what air flow the cooler would recieve, it would have to be better than not having one.

I'm yet to hear of a turbo bike that doesn't run an oil cooler having any troubles with oil temps on the street. I agree Suzuki put it there for a reason. I can't argue with that. It just seems like alot of extra work.

There are guys running DLC coated tool steel wrist pins that haven't complained of any failures and others running non coated pins and also not having failures. Who's right... I would have to say either way works.

Back