Oil closes at $72.17 a barrel

RamminBusa

Donating Member
Registered
WASHINGTON - Oil prices leapt above $72 a barrel Wednesday, settling at a record high for the third straight day after a government report showed shrinking U.S. gasoline supplies and traders focused on nuclear tensions between Iran and the international community.

Supply constraints in Iraq, Nigeria and the Gulf of Mexico are also pushing oil prices higher, and analysts are predicting more pain at the pump for motorists, who so far appear to be only lightly tapping the brakes on demand.

Light sweet crude for May delivery climbed as high as $72.40 a barrel, before settling at $72.17 on the New York Mercantile Exchange, an increase of 82 cents from the previous day. The contract had risen as high as $71.60 on Tuesday.

Oil analyst John Kilduff of Fimat USA in New York said there would be a "painful runup" in gasoline prices as summer approaches, and he said oil prices could rise as high as $80 a barrel by the end of June. Purchased today, crude for June delivery costs $74 a barrel.

I find it interesting that the federal govt. blames the refineries for the high prices of fuel, yet they take no blame themselves. Tax on fuel is .46/gal. The oil companies make about .30/gal. Who's robbing us more?

This link is an interesting read.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

+1 blackbird, and then there are the record profits by exxon mobile, which to me suggests that they are very much in bed with the oil cartels, and thats illegal, and then there is the fact that they are causing finantial harm to the population, and yet nothing is being done about it, i predict, that eventually, there will be some who rise up against this and someone will go to jail for endangering our way of life, by engaging in price fixing, and bleeding the consumers dry to make a buck.

-WHEELMAN

and if you read the comments by the wacko in Iran... I'm sure oil prices will spike again. In fact, I totally see us going to war with them "over nukes" when they try to cut off the oil to the US from their pumps.
mad.gif

Back