oil change

in the fall :new oil and filter and a fuel stablizer in the tank, do a last ride to make sure everything is coated and that the treated fuel got all the way to the cyclinders.
in the spring: ride maybe 100-500 miles and then change the oil and filter or at the very least the filter. if your changing the filter, might as well do the oil, nice fresh Mobil 1 lets your bike know that you love it.

I have always lived in the Deep South so I ride all year. And change the oil and filter every 1K with synthetic. But then I play a lot on the back roads. What do you Northerners do for all the time you can't ride. I'd go nuts. Even if we have a few days of cold and rain I just use that time to clean and service the bikes. Wifey gets pissed if I spend 2 or 3 days working on them but I always have bikes ready to ride and cleaner than most around. I go through a lot of wax and such.

David

biggrin.gif

I have never had to put a bike in storage. I couldn't imagine having to do that. BUT the method that makes the most sense to me is warm it up by riding for ten minutes or so, swap out the oil and filter, run it for a minute or two and leave her be. This way all the old contaminated oil is gone and you're good to go when riding season returns. The idea of swapping out with cheap dino oil is up to you. at the end of the day you're looking at $5. if ya wanna recycle it, save it when ya drain it and use it in your lawnmower.
biggrin.gif

i have always just changed the oil and filter before storage. added fuel stabilazer ran it for a few minutes to get the fuel into the carbs and lines and store it. i dont change it in the spring. just run it.

Little change in topic. How often do you guys normally change your oil and filter during riding season?

I change mine about every 1K to 1.5K. Oil and filter. I know it's a bit much but I feel better about it. It cost less than $20.00 for a gallon jug of Shell Rotella T full synthetic and a filter. And about 20 minute's of my time for a lot of piece of mind.

David

I change mine about every 2500. Whoever posted from AZ, I live in TX and we can ride all winter too. But, I ride less during the winter. Still, I don't do anything special. If it's not time for an oil change, then it sits. If I'm too lazy to ride, about once a week I start it and run it for about 10 minutes. The idea being to get oil back on the parts its miagrated off of. If that wears it out faster, guess I'll just have to get another one sooner.

Yes he did:
"the "point" is that you wash the surfaces with the fresh oil"

When the bike is started the whole system gets a coating of FRESH acidic free oil. The oil coating all the components including the top end isnt going to evaporate after several months.

There's also a reason why your Busa's OWNERS MANUAL states an oil change every 3500 miles or 6 MONTHS whichever comes first.

well ive never heard of a six month winter or changing oil for acid build up have owned bikes for many many years and never change oil till i get to 3000 miles and have never had a problem with any internal part metric or harley i could be wrong but to each his own i guess you learn somthing new every day

well ive never heard of a six month winter or changing oil for acid build up have owned bikes for many many years and never change oil till i get to 3000 miles and have never had a problem with any internal part metric or harley i could be wrong but to each his own i guess you learn somthing new every day
With modern synthetics it's probably not as big a deal as it used to be but still a good idea, especially if you intend to put 75K+ miles on the bike or keep your warranty valid.

Some makes or certain years of bikes have shitty componants to begin with and acid build up in the oil will tear them up...cams in older Honda's come to mind, notorious for pitting.

busa cruise you still didnt answer the question what about the top end???
well...no comment on harley ownership... hehe

but to make it short...under normal operating conditions...oil will breakdown...right from the moment you pour it into your motor...it starts to react with parts.
heat cycles...the pressures applied to the oil as it is squeezed between parts...rubber seals...fuel introduced into the crankcase... and clutch fibers... all play a part in the breakdown of the oil. This breakdown comes in the form of acidic compounds and "sludge" (basically a residue of the oil's basestocks).

As oil runs in your motor...oil is splashed everywhere. This oil becomes more and more contaminated with every minute of use (granted, this "contamination" is generally small"). As the days go by, more and more contaminants are left behind on parts..especially when you shut the motor off...those motor parts onthe top end are still hot....and there is no fresh oil coming up there. So that oil can just cook and once it's gone...what usually remain are just particles. Those small bits "can" eats pits into parts if left alone long enuf.

"Washing" the motor with fresh oil can help rinse that stuff away in some cases....to each there own and it's just a matter of "motor hygiene" to me.

just use google to seach on "motor oil breakdown" for any number of articles to read up on.

Back