Odd sprocket sizes...

bonnetboy

Registered
Hi all, I have recently bought a 2000 Hayabusa. I have had it for about a month now & have just stripped some parts down for cleaning & some small mods & decided to check the sprockets. Theyre basically new but the sizes are odd. From what ive read the 2000 models are supposed to have 17 on front & 40 on rear yet mine has 14 on front & 38 on rear. I read of others going slightly different sizes but mine just seem odd & the front seems a big jump in size.
Im thinking about goin back to standard sizes, What difference would the 14/38 be compared to standard sizes (appart from my speedo being way out which ive already noiticed). Cheers.

Huge difference. You are correct on the factory sprocket sizes. Basically you are transferring a lot more torque to the rear wheel. with that your speedo and odometer are going to be way the hell off with that set up. If you are a normal rider I would go back to the stock setup.

I would have to think with a 14 tooth front sprocket the chain wear would be accelerated quite a bit compared to stock or even a 16 tooth. I believe they say that one down in the front is like going up three in the back. So if you went back to stock the bike is going to feel sluggish.

A busa feelin sluggish??? haha only if it has problems.
Nah im definately going back to stock sprockets. Local bike shop quoted me $23 for front & $52 for rear & xring chain online for $80 so all up will be $155 which i think is great.

Back