novice numbers

selberg

Registered
I went out to firebird international two weeks ago to run my busa for the first time. The bike was completely stock and I did a 10.80@134 with a 2.1 60'

Since then I lowered the back, put a 16 tooth in the front, and strapped the front end down for the strip. Last night I pulled a 10.6@135 with a 1.95 60'.

Both runs were with regular street pressure in the tires because I dont live close to the track. Am I kinda on par here or am I a vagina? I thought I would be closer to the 10.2 range. Oh, and Im 190 suited.

edit: pic for views

Bryan
IMG_9967.jpg

Work on your 60ft times. They should be in the 1.7 range for a novie. Your probably not leaving hard enough. If you get your 60 ft times down in that range you'll run low 10s.

Spend a couple of evenings reading through the posts in this section. Here is a thread that I started on early this year.

Like Selberg said, most of it is in your 60's. Shoot for a 1.6x 60' but work up on it slowly. You need to let some air out of that rear tire. Things can get ugly in a hurry if you start spinning it. Check around at the track. I'll bet you will find someone with a compressor that will loan you a shot of air before you start back home. Again, take your time. Clutch and throttle control are important. Develop the skill. I neve got mine in the 9's but I got close. I weigh 235 in my shorts. My bike has a pipe and a few minor mods.

Read through and ask questions. There is some very good info here! I ended up doing pretty well at the track this year because of information from this site!

Have fun!
Professor

You are on par. Airing down the rear will help the launch and second gear shift. You can get air at a gas station after or drive home on 20 psi if not too far ( I drive 15 miles cause I'm too lazy to stop at the station across from the track). Like all said, got to work on the 60' cause that's the key.

basically we are identical in size and and mods. i also ride an 03 le. i have air shifter and pc3usb w/ custom map. right now im running low 1.6 60' and high 9.7 low 9.8 in 1/4. keep workin @ it and just remember to have fun.

(McyMike @ Dec. 04 2006,05:25) You are on par. Airing down the rear will help the launch and second gear shift. You can get air at a gas station after or drive home on 20 psi if not too far ( I drive 15 miles cause I'm too lazy to stop at the station across from the track). Like all said, got to work on the 60' cause that's the key.
Is that another Brittany shot dude?
laugh.gif

lurk.gif
I've been wanting to take mine to the track and so have all the 600 and 1 liter guys I hang with, but I'd be lying if I told you I'm not afraid of the launch.

(dadofthree @ Dec. 04 2006,23:37)
lurk.gif
I've been wanting to take mine to the track and so have all the 600 and 1 liter guys I hang with, but I'd be lying if I told you I'm not afraid of the launch.
You need to respect it, anyhow. Every time you ride it you leave from a stop. It is the same technique. You give it the gas as you slip the clutch. Do it just like you are leaving the stop sign your first pass. Then leave with the rpm 500 rpm higher still slipping the clutch like you normally would. If that still feels comfortable, the next time do it the same way but get to 100% throttle quicker still slipping the clutch the same as you were.

Before long you should be very quickly on 100% throttle and gradually reducing the distance you are slipping the clutch.

Work up to it slowly and develop your skill. Start leaving as soon as you see that last yellow. There is much more to gain by taking your time to correctly develop your skills than by getting in a hurry and screwing it up to impress your friends.

Back