mark3evo

Registered
In 1995 I purchased a 1971 dry state Camaro from San Diego

But after a few years and with 4 young children and only 1 salary it had to go

300 hp with 4.1 rear axle and 4 speed manual it was quite nippy

I got use to LHD on our narrow lanes
But the gas consumption cost was crippling

Pretty cool car, they were a classic...

When I was in Cyprus in the late '80s we found an uber-rare right drive 69 Camaro, it was in a junk heap and our mechanics rescued it...when they got hold of GM to find out more about it, GM wanted it, they sent someone to the base to retrieve it.

Never knew where that car went..

Pretty cool car, they were a classic...

When I was in Cyprus in the late '80s we found an uber-rare right drive 69 Camaro, it was in a junk heap and our mechanics rescued it...when they got hold of GM to find out more about it, GM wanted it, they sent someone to the base to retrieve it.

Never knew where that car went..
Sort of related type story. When I worked the Shuttle Program the government auctions were held near the space center. It was often interesting to see the drug assets get auctioned off. Cars, boats etc. Usually assets seized after arrest. So no bullet holes etc. Lots of cool cars.

Once they advertised a Corvette (I'm not going to remember the particulars because I'm not a Vette guy) that was like 1 of like 3 made. Belonged to one of the Apollo 1 guys that died. Which gave it even more pedigree. They provide all the numbers etc. So before even going you know it's going to be an interesting auction. It wasn't roped off or anything. You look at it just like the rest of what was being sold. There were Panteras etc. Unless you knew what it was, you'd never suspect it was a big deal. But you knew there were more than usual numbers of people there.

GM sent down their people. But there were lots of interested parties you just knew it.

It didn't matter what anyone else bid, the GM team just held up the bid paddles. They were going to buy it no matter the price. It went for $375K. This was about 1988. That was a lot of money back then.

I seem to recall reading it was part of that sinkhole in Kentucky where the GM Corvette museum was, where cars got damaged.

It was a pretty cool piece of car history that probably would have never surfaced if the drug guy never went down.

I saw a lot of amazing high dollar toys go through there. You sort of were in awe of how much $$ was in drugs. These were toys. That you couldn't flash around very easily. It was before they passed the more than 10K in cash, paperwork requirement.

A lot of local Florida lore said that Miami was totally rebuilt on drug money proceeds.

I had a 68 Charger RT, 440, 4 speed. It suffered the same fate, for same reasons. I still miss that car.
One survivor story I can recall is a guy in high school had a 383 Road Runner before he had a license and fixed it up in shop class with the teacher and a couple other guys.

He still has that car from what my brother tells me and it was frame off restored a few years ago back to factory specs by a company in my home town that only restores Mopar.

It is green with a black hood.

One survivor story I can recall is a guy in high school had a 383 Road Runner before he had a license and fixed it up in shop class with the teacher and a couple other guys.

He still has that car from what my brother tells me and it was frame off restored a few years ago back to factory specs by a company in my home town that only restores Mopar.

It is green with a black hood.
Muscle-era Mopars were unibody cars so "frame-off" is not accurate. :poke: Maybe subframes-off?;)

I've posted it before but since we're talking about musclecars, my current '70 Swinger:

52256666129_b3c167f601_b.jpg

Muscle-era Mopars were unibody cars so "frame-off" is not accurate. :poke: Maybe subframes-off?;)

I've posted it before but since we're talking about musclecars, my current '70 Swinger:

View attachment 1659642
Only relaying what I was told as I wasn't part of the process and know little about early Mopars.

Now I've learned something...which is the great part of this forum.

In 1995 I purchased a 1971 dry state Camaro from San Diego

But after a few years and with 4 young children and only 1 salary it had to go

300 hp with 4.1 rear axle and 4 speed manual it was quite nippy

I got use to LHD on our narrow lanes
But the gas consumption cost was crippling

Seeming a bit depressing story as u have to sell out your vehicle, and you have memories of that car yet in your mind. In the future, you would get a much better model than this one. So don’t panic, stay tuned to your goal instead of nostalgia.

Seeming a bit depressing story as u have to sell out your vehicle, and you have memories of that car yet in your mind. In the future, you would get a much better model than this one. So don’t panic, stay tuned to your goal instead of nostalgia.
not really into cars now, just to ferry one from A to B

keep my bike of course, fitness is my aim (i'm 62 this year)

this years plans are to walk with my wife 220 miles in the rural mountains of Scotland - hopefully late August , i just bought a tent

9_38_1l.jpg

Last edited:
not really into cars now, just to ferry one from A to B

keep my bike of course, fitness is my aim (i'm 62 this year)

this years plans are to walk with my wife 220 miles in the rural mountains of Scotland - hopefully late August , i just bought a tent

View attachment 1660739
Yup obviously, plans can be vary, might be more appealing and energetic than previous ones. Exploring mountain ranges would be more fun as it have natural beauty, new experiences, new world to look around you, have fun guys.

Back