Cross Country Trip

Dude, Sounds like an awesome trip...Love the shot of your security measures, very wise. Here's a strange question for you, did you travel armed? Just curious.

Big E,
My wife and I are planning the same basic trip from NC, out on I40 and back on I20 general route. What Items did you take with you that you wouldn't take again, and what items didn't you take but wish you had?

Good question Revlis, I always ride prepared but don't know much about concealed carry laws in the western states. I'm good in NC, VA and TN but would almost certianlly get in trouble in SC as they do not honor NC CCP's. Thanks, Chris

I always travel armed but not for safety. It helps me get out of tickets when I identify myself. Has worked very well in the past, keeping fingers crossed now.

Also nice to have just in case a Ricer goes crazy and you have to put him down.
wow.gif

NCBusa2001,
 If you all are planning on heading West you gotta try to get to Colorado on your way, there are several Busa Owners (Members) there and if you can, cut through Rocky Mountain Nat'l park, past Grand Lake, then hook up with I-70 near Loveland Pass, It's a beautiful ride.  I would try to roll through the South on 40 then maybe duck up through New Mexico to Colorado, (through Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park in the Far North of Colorado maybe to far) there is also an excellent route from Colorado Springs to Aspen that is really Awsome, head over Independance Pass, spend the night in Aspen then push a little further north Catch I-70 West and get the best part of that road as well.  Truly beautiful.  And the temps should mellow a little in Colorado.
idea.gif

As for traveling armed, I allways figured instead of carying on my person, pack somewhere reasonably accessable, Magazine inserted chamber empty, or unloaded with speedloaders handy.  That way you have it if need it, but shouldn't have any problems with the LEOs.  (Hopefully)
cool.gif

Thanks for the tip revlis. I have got to see colorado (I was born and raised in West Virginia, maybe its a latent John Denver thing
smile.gif
). Other must do's include, monument valley utah, flagstaff arizona, the grand canyon, salt flats, and moab (latent ATV dream). I can probably manage 3 weeks off work but that's streching it. I'll really get a chance to see the country when we start travel nursing (big $$$). Imagine working 13 weeks at a time at just about any location you can think of. Work 3 days ride for 4 days, not too shabby. Chris

What tires were you running? I am plaaning a long trip in a couple months and am thinking of switching to a touring set just for the trip. Wondering if it is worth it.
rock.gif

Before you carry in Cali: I just got this from the CHP website.

California does not recognize Concealed Weapon Permits from other states. If you wish to transport a weapon during your visit, it must be carried unloaded in a locked container separate from the passenger compartment. Any ammunition must also be kept in a location which is separate from the weapon.

So much for the Wild West...

Big E... Has your location always been Rockville or are you moving all over the place???

We should hook-up and do some montgomery county/howard county roads. Not to mention Northern VA via White's Ferry.

-Little V

Thanks Big O for the info, however, I'm confused. With gun and ammunition locked in separate compartments it kind of makes it hard for you to use it. OOH...I get it...how stupid of me..the police are going to be there to help you out. I forgot that the number one people they try and protect are out of state drivers (sport bike riders in particular). In California the crime rate must be very low. Just imagine pulling up to a light and someone tries to jack you...all of a sudden...out of nowhere a friendly CHP officer is there to save the day. I guess they were right after all, there is no need for your weapon in their state. I'll be dreaming of traveling to this magical place in the Fall. Chris

Dude, Sounds like an awesome trip...Love the shot of your security measures, very wise.  Here's a strange question for you, did you travel armed?  Just curious.
Nope, I didnt travel armed. The thought never crossed my mind. Everyone we met on the road was cool. I knew that every motel we stayed at had to be ground level and have easy access to the room with the bikes.

Big E,
My wife and I are planning the same basic trip from NC, out on I40 and back on I20 general route.  What Items did you take with you that you wouldn't take again, and what items didn't you take but wish you had?  

Good question Revlis, I always ride prepared but don't know much about concealed carry laws in the western states.  I'm good in NC, VA and TN but would almost certianlly get in trouble in SC as they do not honor NC CCP's.  Thanks, Chris
Remeber to bring rain gear and heated gear if possible. Oh and carry a bottle of Rain X. Riding through the rain for 9 hours absolutely sucked ass. Just dont over pack on clothing.

What tires were you running? I am plaaning a long trip in a couple months and am thinking of switching to a touring set just for the trip. Wondering if it is worth it.
rock.gif
I went with a new set of Bridgestone 020 for the rear and ran with the stock front 56. The 020 held up nicely with all the riding we did. There is still probably 1000 miles left of life on the 020 rear. The front 56 is shot. Kansas did that tire in. I have never had to ride tilted to the left so long. The wind blowing kept us riding tilted for a few hours.

Big E,
My wife and I are planning the same basic trip from NC, out on I40 and back on I20 general route.  What Items did you take with you that you wouldn't take again, and what items didn't you take but wish you had?  

Good question Revlis, I always ride prepared but don't know much about concealed carry laws in the western states.  I'm good in NC, VA and TN but would almost certianlly get in trouble in SC as they do not honor NC CCP's.  Thanks, Chris
We started the trip from 70 west to 44 south to 40 west. On the return trip we went 15 north to 70 east straight through. Utah and Colorado are states not to be missed

Big E...  Has your location always been Rockville or are you moving all over the place???

We should hook-up and do some montgomery county/howard county roads.  Not to mention Northern VA via White's Ferry.

-Little V
Yup been is this area for 20 years now. I am always riding up north passed Frederick and always in Howard County. GIve me a PM, I have met with a few busa owners in the last couple of months. There springing up everywhere.

1) good thing you have the fastest color

2) did you have to make arrangements with the hotels to bring the bikes in, or just roll em in at dark?

3) you gonna trip out for Laguna in July??
biggrin.gif

Nice pics!! I'm planning a ride out this summer i'm headed out I-40 and just plan to head west from there and just see how it goes.. I'm waiting on a new helmet and a new set of tires before i head out. I was looking at june but with the starter problem i have it may be july before i head out. Any advice you can PM...thanks

Back