New Busa in my garage, I have a few questions.

mudnuri

Registered
<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:papyrus'></span><span style='font-family:courier'></span>My husband purchased a 2004 Hayabusa Tuesday of this past week.  It's the "purple/black" scheme...first off, beautiful bike, he's in heaven with it.  And though he only was able to ride it home that night, since it's been raining here since Wednesday, I've found him out in the garage just looking at it more than once!

I was reading the owners manual (yes, I do that scary huh!)..and a few things aren't clear to me.  Exactly what is the point of the trip 1 and trip 2 for fuel consumption?  

It also says that you do not change the oil filter when you change the oil every time.  It seems to be on the 1st, 4th, 7th oil change that you change the filter...never heard of that before!

And then there's no reserve or fuel off switch?  Is there somewhere and I can't find it?  I personally drive a Honda Interceptor and it has them, as well as our XR650R off road bike, and all of our 4-wheelers...Maybe I'm just missing it?

I think thats it for now, I hope these aren't really stupid questions....forgive the 'busa newbies!

Oh one more....just what are those chinese letters above hayabusa on the bike?  We have a bet going..I say it means "hayabusa" but the other half says no....so...whats it really say?

Thanks again for all your answers in advance, I appreciate it.

Brandy<span style='color:darkblue'></span>

Brandy, Brandy, Brandy.. first off, we don't answer questions unless pictures of the bike and/or wife are posted FIRST! j/k  
tounge.gif

I use trip 1 for overall distance in say, the day.  And trip 2 for each time I fill up during the day..

I always change the filter when I change the oil.. why wouldn't you?  It's cheap enough and for me the peace of mind is worth it.

There is no reserve fuel switch.

The Kanji means:  "chicks dig guys on hayabusas".. really!! It does!  I'm sure of it!
biggrin.gif

Hope your husband enjoys his new ride.. And good on you for riding an Interruptor.

<!--EDIT|Haywood
Reason for Edit: "sometimes I spell like a chimp. only sometimes."|1080962195 -->

Welcome to the board!  There is a low fuel light instead of a reserve.
newbie.gif

<!--EDIT|Let 'er eat!
Reason for Edit: "just so I could add hi mom here"|1080962437 -->

Welcome to the Board.

Your husband is going to be happy with his new toy and for clairification Suzuki is a "Japanese" manufacturer and the Kanji is a Japanese symbol. Search on this board and you will find alot of information about the name Hayabusa and the Kanji.

Kent

Well, first, welcome to the board! And asfor your questions, the trip,s are are just like the one,s in most cars, they tell you how many miles you,ve traveled since you last reset them, and how many mpg. you are getting, as far as the oil filter goes, I change mine EVERY time I change the oil, and the NO RESERVE on the fuel tank, most bikes with a fuel gauege do not have a reserve.Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Brandy,

WELCOME!
biggrin.gif

1. 2-trips meters for whatever you want. As most have stated, some us one for current tank miles and the other for day/week/month/oil trip meter. Use it for what suits you best!

2. Change the OIL filter every time! They are only like $6 or $8 bucks. It's to cheap not to for the benefits.

3. You don't need a RESERVE fuel switch. It has a GAS gauge AND a *LOW FUEL LIGHT*! What else do you need someone to knock you on the helmet when you run out!
tounge.gif

4. As for the Kanji symbol, it has many meanings! It's to long to post so try a quick search about it.

Josh
pirate.gif

P.S. WE NEED PICS!
wink.gif

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll do some searching for the meaning of the Kanji symbol.  

I realized you still need to change the filter at each oil change, but it just seemed weird to me that it wasn't listed regularly.  

hmmmm my interceptor has a fuel gage, and a reserve...I was more concerned about the off switch...I was always told that when you park a bike you shut off the fuel......It was really my 7 year old daughter who brought it to our attention Tuesday night, as she has a Artic Cat 4-wheeler, and it's in her owners manual as part of her pretrip inspection etc. etc...  

As soon as it stops raining here, I'll get some pics up....of the bike....is there a issue here of people riding bikes other than busas?  I'd hate to feel like an outsider since theres only 1 busa owner in my house, and a Honda owner....but, I have no desire to ride/drive his bike...way to much bike for me to be comfortable on.  however he's been riding bikes since he was 7, started with dirt, went to dual sport, and has had a few street bikes as well.  He took a hiatus when we started our family 7 years ago, and last year we got back into them...My interceptor is the first bike I've ever driven, I've taken the State's motorcycle safety course, the basic one...He took the advanced riders course last year......

Okay enough rambling..I've got some searching to do.

Thanks again
Brandy

Brandy,

Post any bike pic you want ALL brands/types are WELCOME! We just like to see pics!

As for the FUEL switch, if you plan to store the bike for a LONG period of time, there is a FUEL shut off switch under the tank. You will have to prop the tank up with the trunk tool to get to it.

They don't put it on the side because most Busa owners don't leave them parked long enough to SHUT the fuel OFF!
wink.gif

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll do some searching for the meaning of the Kanji symbol.  

I realized you still need to change the filter at each oil change, but it just seemed weird to me that it wasn't listed regularly.  

hmmmm my interceptor has a fuel gage, and a reserve...I was more concerned about the off switch...I was always told that when you park a bike you shut off the fuel......It was really my 7 year old daughter who brought it to our attention Tuesday night, as she has a Artic Cat 4-wheeler, and it's in her owners manual as part of her pretrip inspection etc. etc...  

As soon as it stops raining here, I'll get some pics up....of the bike....is there a issue here of people riding bikes other than busas?  I'd hate to feel like an outsider since theres only 1 busa owner in my house, and a Honda owner....but, I have no desire to ride/drive his bike...way to much bike for me to be comfortable on.  however he's been riding bikes since he was 7, started with dirt, went to dual sport, and has had a few street bikes as well.  He took a hiatus when we started our family 7 years ago, and last year we got back into them...My interceptor is the first bike I've ever driven, I've taken the State's motorcycle safety course, the basic one...He took the advanced riders course last year......

Okay enough rambling..I've got some searching to do.

Thanks again
Brandy
Many people on this board have other bikes as well. We kinda go by the saying like the Hard Rock Cafe, "All are welcome. No nuclear weapons allowed inside."
To answer your fuel shut off switch question. I believe most fuel infected bikes don't have one. Also your choke lever is not a choke. It just bumps the idle higher for ease of warm up. Anyway welcome.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080966308 -->

They don't put it on the side because most Busa owners don't leave them parked long enough to SHUT the fuel OFF!

I'm afraid of that! I have this feeling it will be and our daughters in my truck following him wherever he goes so we can see him!....

It's good to know about the main shut off though, as here in Vermont we can't ride more than 7 months out of the year...unless of course you enjoy covering the bike with roadsalt.....or dress as though your going out on a snowmobile...

Hopefully it wont rain on Sunday, we're planning on doing some reorganizing of the garage to be able fit all the toys in without having to move them around to get to the one you want....If thats the case, pics will be up Sunday night..and I'll grab some of mine as well....

Thanks once again!

Last edited by a moderator:
and if your hubby ever gets tired of looking at her.. ( i hope its a her) and i mean the bike.. send the bike my way.. i still havent got tired of just looking at her. sitting there glistening, her lines and curves, the power she has, the looks she gets, the purring and scxreaming she does at times.. OHHH MY she just makes me all so tingly all over.. SOOO it must be love.. LOL.. if he ever loses that feeling for her its time for exhaust, turbo, nitrous, and god knows what else to keep the relationship interesting. and ya know if i could just find a good woman that does all those things to me i would have it made!!!!LOL

congrats. I'm sure you'll find him in the garage starin' at her alot! I know people in my neighborhood prob think I am weird when they see my just staring at my busa in my driveway! Enjoy it!

Hello Brandy and welcome to the Board.
I am excited to see that another Busa from VT has finnally landed at this site.
Let's all go out and ride sometime.
And if you are not set up for maintanice, there is always room to work here.
P.S. Start saving for tires I went thru 5 rears last year under "Normal Busa Riding"

Welcome, Mudnuri!
It's great to see couples who ride together on two bikes. My wife has a Aprilia Tuono and I have an 03 black/grey.
Before I bot mine a year ago I was pretty intimidated. I thought riding a busa would be like getting on a rodeo bull. I hoped I could stay on for more than 8 seconds. To my surprise the busa is the sweetest handling bike ever. Before I had ridden Hardleys, Titans and dirt bikes. My busa is comfortable too...that's the beauty of all this.
Yes it does go fast but that is all in the wrist and how the brain tells it how to twist. Be careful and leave plenty of room in front of you...learn the bike...get comfortable and go for it. You'll be surprised what an incredible machine she is.
My wife rides mine occasionally and I believe she likes it better than her Tuono (which is a pretty fun ride in itself).
ENJOY AND RIDE SAFE.

Oh, and yes you do have to dress like your going out on a snowmobile most of the time.
But you know that.

As for 4 wheelers, we have some of those also.
This is me the other day on my Honda, we have a Polaris 500 sportsman, and the Suzuki 80, and 160 for the kids.

Back