No Jobs, Healthcare is a mess lets talk about football

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I guess our government, ALL of our representatives (lets not choose sides) need to look at the real issues like college football..... Maybe they can get to that job thing right after they get done with this.....

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is considering several steps that would review the legality of the controversial Bowl Championship Series, the Justice Department said in a letter Friday to a senator who had asked for an antitrust review.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) has led the effort for the government to intervene in the college football playoff system. The Department of Justice has agreed to look into it. MultimediaPhotoview all photos In the letter to Sen. Orrin Hatch, obtained by The Associated Press, Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich wrote that the Justice Department is reviewing Hatch’s request and other materials to determine whether to open an investigation into whether the BCS violates antitrust laws.

"Importantly, and in addition, the administration also is exploring other options that might be available to address concerns with the college football postseason,” Weich wrote, including asking the Federal Trade Commission to review the legality of the BCS under consumer protection laws.

Several lawmakers and many critics want the BCS to switch to a playoff system, rather than the ratings system it uses to determine the teams that play in the championship game.

"The administration shares your belief that the current lack of a college football national championship playoff with respect to the highest division of college football … raises important questions affecting millions of fans, colleges and universities, players and other interested parties,” Weich wrote.

Weich made note of the fact that President Barack Obama, before he was sworn in, had stated his preference for a playoff system. In 2008, Obama said he was going to "to throw my weight around a little bit” to nudge college football toward a playoff system, a point that Hatch stressed when he urged Obama last fall to ask the department to investigate the BCS.

Weich said that other options include encouraging the NCAA to take control of the college football postseason; asking a governmental or non-governmental commission to review the costs, benefits and feasibility of a playoff system; and legislative efforts aimed at prompting a switch to a playoff system.

Weich noted that several undefeated teams have not had a chance to play for the national championship, including TCU and Boise State this year and Utah last year.

"This seemingly discriminatory action with regard to revenues and access have raised questions regarding whether the BCS potentially runs afoul of the nation’s antitrust laws,” he wrote.

Hatch, a Utah Republican, was steamed that his home state team was deprived of getting a chance to play for the title last year.

"I’m encouraged by the administration’s response,” he said in a statement. "I continue to believe there are antitrust issues the administration should explore, but I’m heartened by its willingness to consider alternative approaches to confront the tremendous inequities in the BCS that favor one set of schools over others. The current system runs counter to basic fairness that every family tries to instill in their children from the day they are born.”

Last edited:
:cookoo:

Did we elect a President or a Dictator?
This administration has a serious problem with the role govt' should play and
even how it should work within the 3 branches. The Founding Fathers saw the
evil of men and govt' and wrote the constitution to limit govt' grip on our lives...
Obamanation just can't seem to get it...

Now granted I'm personally not a huge college football fan primarily cause of
the voting...and also the weak schedules diluted by all the teams...BUT
I in no way think the govt' has any business telling how college football should be run.

The arrogance is yet still astounding...

I cant believe that college football even makes the top 25 to even discuss. I would hope there is more to do in Washington than work on the BCS.

Make no mistake it isnt just Obama, the republicas are just as guilty about this...

Oh I agree...EVERYONE involved in this should be taken out back and SLAPPED.

Oh I agree...EVERYONE involved in this should be taken out back and SLAPPED.

I'll show up for that group SLAAPPIN !!

President Obama has alot to contend with. Yeah, the conservatives give hima hard time, and I know not much will change that. But the are a bunch of sucker MC's in his own party that make it no better for him (Pelosi, Reid, etc). These jokers are all out for re-election bids & taking some coin back to their districts, even if it does just go to fru-fru projects, like the turtle tunnel in Florida. They are just using any tactic to say "hey we spent this money", instead of putting it into things that will stimulate jobs.

I was impressed with the President handling the Repubs on yesterday tough, He kept his cool, under fire. And he made some good sense. I am thinking he needs to stand up & out and distance himself from the weak & ambitious in his party.

Just saying.

Maybe the refs could be Senators from now on

Last edited:
Only if they are big 12 ;)

then the Supreme Court comes from the SEC :laugh:

seriously though, this whole thing is absolutely ridiculous that we are paying the amount of taxes we are so that they can sit up there and talk about the current college football playoff system :banghead:

This Great Country of Our's Needs to take a Step Back and RE-FOCUS !!!!!!!

50 Million Dollars was just Raised for HAITI Relief and WE are in a Recesssion ???

:moon:

i am n the minority here in the windy plains but college is my least fav sport. i dont enjoy the debate nor do i care for the bcs. i am not sure how many people are included in the 'obama admin' but if only one of the them takes 5 min 2 talk to someone about the bcs then then 'obama admin' is looking into the situation. clearly there are more important issues in the country and I serisously doubt is the president cares anymore than i do about the bcs.

i am n the minority here in the windy plains but college is my least fav sport. i dont enjoy the debate nor do i care for the bcs. i am not sure how many people are included in the 'obama admin' but if only one of the them takes 5 min 2 talk to someone about the bcs then then 'obama admin' is looking into the situation. clearly there are more important issues in the country and I serisously doubt is the president cares anymore than i do about the bcs.

Understood, I just find it a waste that there is even a single minute being spent looking at fooball. There are US Senators asking for this investigation, someone is spending our tax dollars..

I cant believe that college football even makes the top 25 to even discuss. I would hope there is more to do in Washington than work on the BCS.

Make no mistake it isnt just Obama, the republicas are just as guilty about this...

I rather argue with box of rocks than to contemplate why elected government officials have the time and/or inclination to look into college football. It's a game for crying out loud! What's next a congressional investigation into the feasibility of rent control in the board game Monopoly!!! Last time I looked it football wasn't even the main function of colleges. You would think if they were going to look into something it would be why it cost on average 25K plus a year to attend a school!!!

Either I'm getting old and out of touch or they're smoking crack on Capitol Hill...:banghead:

These types of stories is why my wife doesn't allow me to watch the news any more.

If they wasted their time on steroids...why not...just throw the NFL in there and make the Superbowl on SATURDAY and spread it around so that EVERY franchise gets to host it and every football team city makes some money for the local economy..:thumbsup:

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm :whistle: , now if MY TEAM loses because of what I call as a bad call ??? . Could I take it to the Supreme Court for Review and Overturn :laugh:

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm :whistle: , now if MY TEAM loses because of what I call as a bad call ??? . Could I take it to the Supreme Court for Review and Overturn :laugh:

Im sure they can do a challenge review:laugh:

This is the kind of issue a worthy press should be investigating, not our government. Becasue i have a feeling there is alot more going on with BCS and the way it is handled beside the anti-trust question. Whatever happened to that good ol' investigative reporting?

ANd the overtime procedure in nfl must change.
Whoever wins the coin flip has the advantage.
They need go 10 min or 15 min not 1st score.

Back