Ohio St. vs. Florida for NCAA Championship

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I know why the voters placed Florida at #2, but I for one don't agree with it. The National Championship game should be played between the 2 best college teams in the nation. Yes Michigan lost to Ohio. Yes Ohio has nothing else to prove against Michigan. Yes Michigan had their chance. But yet still, I don't think the Gators are a better team than Michigan.

Vegas placed the odds in a Florida vs. Michigan game in Michigan's favor by 6 points ... so I by far am not alone in my assumption.

I'm from the state of Florida (although I'm a Hurricanes fan) so I'm rooting for the Gators all the way. But I feel the BCS has the wrong team playing Ohio State.

Its time for a playoff system dang gummit!

(NightCrawler @ Dec. 04 2006,00:flamethrowing:) Its time for a playoff system dang gummit!
the rest of the nation has been saying it for 20 years... where ya been?
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

Nobody thought UCLA would beat USC... but they did. It doesn't mean UCLA is a better football team, but they were the better team for that one game.

Florida deserves to be in the title game because they have the better record, strength of schedule vs more ranked opponents, they won their conference... nuff said.

And they should definitely have some kind of playoff ... at least between the top 4 teams. There's plenty of time for that leading up to the beginning of January and it would mean more TV $$$$ if they did.

Florida has been eeking by in most of their harder games this year . I think Ohio State will slaughter their asses ! But I don't think Michigan deserves a chance to replay OS either .
crazy.gif

florida deserves there shot at it, michigan had theres.
in my opinion florida has as good team as any of the rest 2nd on back.
playoffs is the only way.

go Buckeyes-they have to sit for a month before they can play - I guess theres no time for playoffs-----

(PaNDeM1C @ Dec. 04 2006,02:12) Nobody thought UCLA would beat USC... but they did. It doesn't mean UCLA is a better football team, but they were the better team for that one game.

Florida deserves to be in the title game because they have the better record, strength of schedule vs more ranked opponents, they won their conference... nuff said.

And they should definitely have some kind of playoff ... at least between the top 4 teams. There's plenty of time for that leading up to the beginning of January and it would mean more TV $$$$ if they did.
+1

Cant believe I am agreeing with Panda
wow.gif
laugh.gif

In case you missed this article via ESPN: FL has earned it.

So here are the cold, hard facts when comparing the Gators and Wolverines:

1. Florida beat nine teams that are projected to play in bowl games. Michigan beat six.

2. Michigan beat five teams that finished the season with losing records. Florida beat two teams with sub-.500 records.

3. Florida's 12 Division I-A opponents had a combined record of 89-57. Michigan's 12 opponents had a combined record of 84-61.

4. Michigan's best win is considered a 27-13 victory over Wisconsin on Sept. 23. The Badgers are 11-1 and have climbed to No. 7 in the AP Top 25 poll, despite having played only one ranked opponent -- the Wolverines -- the entire season.

5. The 12 teams Florida defeated finished the season with 11 combined wins against opponents which were ranked in the AP Top 25 poll at the time the game was played. The opponents Michigan defeated claim just three wins against ranked teams (Notre Dame beat Penn State. Indiana beat Iowa. Vanderbilt beat Georgia. The Nittany Lions, Hawkeyes and Bulldogs, it should be noted, haven't been ranked in seven weeks).

6. The Gators went 3-1 against ranked opponents, beating then-No. 13 Tennessee, No. 9 LSU and No. 8 Arkansas and losing at No. 11 Auburn. The Wolverines went 1-1 against ranked opponents, beating a highly overrated No. 2 Notre Dame team (that lost to Michigan and USC by a combined total of 46 points) and losing at No. 1 Ohio State 42-39 on Nov. 18.

7. The Gators' average margin of victory against Division I-A teams was 13.5 points. They won seven games by 14 points or fewer, six by less than 10. The Wolverines' average margin of victory was 17.3 points. They won six games by 14 points or fewer, two by less than 10.

8. The Gators played Western Carolina, a Division I-AA team, and won by 62 points. The Wolverines played Ball State, which should be a I-AA team, and won by eight.

9. Since the Wolverines last played and lost at Ohio State, the Gators won at Florida State (The Seminoles are 6-6, but rivalry games are tough to win. Just ask USC coach Pete Carroll) and then beat the No. 8 Razorbacks, who defeated then-No. 2 Auburn and No. 13 Tennessee by 17 points each.

10. Michigan didn't win the Big Ten; Florida won the SEC. Winning your conference should be a prerequisite for playing in the national championship.

I believe Florida is the correct team, but the system is definetly flawed.  In what other system of college or professional sports does another undefeated team (Boise St.) not have the chance to go for a championship.  Michigan had their shot at Ohio State and lost, I'm not sure what more needs to be said.  Florida definetly played a tougher schedule, in a tougher division, and I believe more deserving even if USC had won.

Until there is some sort of playoff system that allows the schools to decide it on the field instead of computers and opinions, it will never be fair, after all, a Boise St. can only play the teams that were placed on their schedule.

In the end, I also think the Michigan-USC matchup in the Rose Bowl is a great match-up that will only add more controversy when Michigan walks away with the Victory.

I have wanted to see FL vs OSU all year. I think they got it right also. I believe it will will be a good game. OSU will win but still a good game.

(Over_Easy @ Dec. 05 2006,10:28) In case you missed this article via ESPN: FL has earned it.

So here are the cold, hard facts when comparing the Gators and Wolverines:

1. Florida beat nine teams that are projected to play in bowl games. Michigan beat six.

2. Michigan beat five teams that finished the season with losing records. Florida beat two teams with sub-.500 records.

3. Florida's 12 Division I-A opponents had a combined record of 89-57. Michigan's 12 opponents had a combined record of 84-61.

4. Michigan's best win is considered a 27-13 victory over Wisconsin on Sept. 23. The Badgers are 11-1 and have climbed to No. 7 in the AP Top 25 poll, despite having played only one ranked opponent -- the Wolverines -- the entire season.

5. The 12 teams Florida defeated finished the season with 11 combined wins against opponents which were ranked in the AP Top 25 poll at the time the game was played. The opponents Michigan defeated claim just three wins against ranked teams (Notre Dame beat Penn State. Indiana beat Iowa. Vanderbilt beat Georgia. The Nittany Lions, Hawkeyes and Bulldogs, it should be noted, haven't been ranked in seven weeks).

6. The Gators went 3-1 against ranked opponents, beating then-No. 13 Tennessee, No. 9 LSU and No. 8 Arkansas and losing at No. 11 Auburn. The Wolverines went 1-1 against ranked opponents, beating a highly overrated No. 2 Notre Dame team (that lost to Michigan and USC by a combined total of 46 points) and losing at No. 1 Ohio State 42-39 on Nov. 18.

7. The Gators' average margin of victory against Division I-A teams was 13.5 points. They won seven games by 14 points or fewer, six by less than 10. The Wolverines' average margin of victory was 17.3 points. They won six games by 14 points or fewer, two by less than 10.

8. The Gators played Western Carolina, a Division I-AA team, and won by 62 points. The Wolverines played Ball State, which should be a I-AA team, and won by eight.

9. Since the Wolverines last played and lost at Ohio State, the Gators won at Florida State (The Seminoles are 6-6, but rivalry games are tough to win. Just ask USC coach Pete Carroll) and then beat the No. 8 Razorbacks, who defeated then-No. 2 Auburn and No. 13 Tennessee by 17 points each.

10. Michigan didn't win the Big Ten; Florida won the SEC. Winning your conference should be a prerequisite for playing in the national championship.
DITTO. Plus in the event the team up North would win, what would they say "we are national champs but couldn't even win our conference". I think Florida is the right choice. Texas #2, we beat 'em, Michigan #2, we beat them also, Next.

After all they do say "you don't win second place, you lose first place".

i think ou should be playing but im kinda biast j/k
there needs to be some playoffs there are to many good teams out there and they could have a great bracket of games

(goodluck @ Dec. 05 2006,17:04) i think ou should be playing but im kinda biast j/k
there needs to be some playoffs there are to many good teams out there and they could have a great bracket of games
Starting with all high school sports and going up through pro sports, NCAA footbal is the only sport of the big 3 (baseball, basketball and football) that doesn't have a playoff system. Think of the revenue they are missing out on. At best they may play a total of 12-14 games a season and then go right into a pro team that plays a minimum of 16 game season and possibly playoffs. As a pro coach I would encourage a longer college season so my new recruits would be conditioned properly.

<marquee><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'> Go Bucks !!!</span></span></marquee>

nut2.JPG

Back