NO dash lights or tail lights

GetU1

Registered
Hey fellas I checked the fuse box and all fuses are in tact. When I turn the key the headlight and fuel pump turn on but no other lights will work, where else should I look. Thanks

Any help, I'm missing with my bike as we speak trying to figure this out. No instrument cluster, tail or signal lights. :banghead:

just had this happen to me recently (Gen II) and it was a blown fuse. seems to be NOT the case with you.

double check fuses. one fuse runs all that is out, no real common link other than that i can think of. check with a multimeter to make sure power is coming into the box.

test the fuse with a voltmeter not a test light, no voltmeter available change the fuse anyway and check it off the list an we you can go from there

Had the same problem and it was a fuse, I grounded the license plate light power wire and it popped.
the instrument cluster was dead, no movement of any needles, no lights o the cluster, no tail light no brake light and no signal lights.
I can't remember if the head lamp worked or not.
I think it was number 5, a 10amp and there is a spare in the fuse block.
If thats not it check all the other red 10amp fuses with a multi meter and check for continuity across the metal posts in the top
of each fuse.

Last edited:
I will check everything in the morning, my bike is basically ripped apart now looking for this freakin problem :banghead:Will keep you guys posted just in case it isn;t the fuse. None of the fuses looked blown at all, but I will put the volt meter on them in the morning. Thanks again huge help.

I swear bikes are the most sensitive things in the world, it was a fuse but i SWEAR there was nothing blown last night at all. I changed the 10V fuse and we got light. Now on to the next small issues. Thanks fellas this site is truly a help.

I swear bikes are the most sensitive things in the world, it was a fuse but i SWEAR there was nothing blown last night at all. I changed the 10V fuse and we got light. Now on to the next small issues. Thanks fellas this site is truly a help.

I'm sure it was blown you probably just missed it. Happens a lot if you work with mini fuses and dont actually remove them. I blew the same fuse wiring my signals and taillights. Glad you got it taken care of.

I will check everything in the morning, my bike is basically ripped apart now looking for this freakin problem :banghead:Will keep you guys posted just in case it isn;t the fuse. None of the fuses looked blown at all, but I will put the volt meter on them in the morning. Thanks again huge help.

Had the same problem I looked at the fuse and it looked it ok, went looking for the problem elsewhere. After a voltmeter check on the fuses verified the culprit. If it blows again look for a grounded wire or loose wire that gets grounded sometimes with movement. These fuses don't blow easily

Last edited:
just had this happen to me recently (Gen II) and it was a blown fuse. seems to be NOT the case with you.

That was the exact syntom that I had prior to the ignition recall fix. Did it three times over a couple of months, once at night back in '09. After recall was accomplished all good. I think it was the 10 amp, cluster, sigs, and tail.

Last edited:
Silly question. If you have no turn signal bulbs in...would that kill the gauges. Asking cause I attempted to install switchbacks and failed with the retrofit. When I plug the gauges in with the key switched on, they sweep the first time but that's it. No tail lights now either. So I'm hoping when the new switchbacks come in, it fixes this

Silly question. If you have no turn signal bulbs in...would that kill the gauges. Asking cause I attempted to install switchbacks and failed with the retrofit. When I plug the gauges in with the key switched on, they sweep the first time but that's it. No tail lights now either. So I'm hoping when the new switchbacks come in, it fixes this
Your fault description is very vague . . what the heck is a 'switchback'??
What is meant by 'failed the retrofit' ??
Removal of turn signal bulbs will make no difference to the power up to the guages.
You need to check all the fuses . . with a Multimeter !
Why are you plugging in the guaues with the key switched on???
Just leave them plugged in and THEN switch the key on.
It will most likely be a blown fuse causing your issue.

Hey fellas I checked the fuse box and all fuses are in tact. When I turn the key the headlight and fuel pump turn on but no other lights will work, where else should I look. Thanks
Hello so where did u find fues at need some one help

Back