PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
Hey gang. Have been cruising board from the outside for a few months and decided to "come on in".
On fence about new bike. Have had itch every spring for last 20 years and this time it won't go away. Eyeballed the Hayabusa and here I am.
Not new to bikes. Have owned, ridden and wiped out on many dirt bikes and had a Honda 750Magna some twenty years ago. Also have ridden the 1100 Magna, Suzuki1100GSL and an intruder. At 6'4" 210lbs. I felt and looked like a tick on a bicyle on the 750 and got bored with power quickly. Rode it hard and was no stranger to scraping centerstand on twisties, wheelies, burnouts, etc.. Started getting real cocky on it and sold it after 2 years before it hurt me.
I'm looking at sporttouring bikes and have questions ref. the Busa.
I have 3 "compromised" lumbar disks. Will the sport riding position aggravate them? It feels real comfortable sitting on and heli/genmar products, lowering pegs, can lessen the aggressive position also. Haven't ridden one... one would have a better chance riding a Busa owners wife than his Busa!!! The sport riding position would seem take more shock away from the spine and put to abdominals than an upright ride?
Can the Busa been ridden responsibly? Maybe I am a poser, but my wife/kids really don't need to deal with my demise due to stupidity. Of course an occasional adrenaline romp to "clean out the carbon" would be in order but daily cockiness would be curtailed. At 41 I think I can keep the testosterone from controlling the throttle. I have seen some nasty bike MVA's and know how to stay within personal limits.
I plan on next bike being the last I purchase and don't want to sell it with 500 miles because it was a mistake, either too much or too little. Of course MSF courses will be taken to get my skills back. There are a lot more cagers on road than 20 years ago and most here seem to have poor eyesight and no license. If I can be invisible in a car with lights and sirens, I KNOW I'll be invisible on a bike.
That being said, any insight is welcome.
Thanks in advance. Sorry for long first post.
Ride safe

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115256692 -->

Its funny you'd mention riding a busa owners wife before the busa....guy asked me to switch bikes and i told him we had a better chance of switching wives
wink.gif
. Anyway as far as the disk think i saw a busa that had so harley look bars on it to help you set up strait, but ive nvr had a back injury so i dont know....driving it responsibly...good luck, whats gonna happen is someones gonna want to race and like any male you probably will ablige them. So for some it may be too much and for others (turbo guys) its not enough.

Welcome to the board! Without a rider turning the throttle the Busa is just a bike sitting! It will only go as fast as you roll the throttle.

If you feel that you can exercise the required throttle restraint, and have ridden sportbikes before, I say go for it. We all "stretch our legs" sometimes, it's just a matter of choosing the right spot/time. Seems like you've been thinking on this for a while, follow your heart.

Go for It You will not be disappointed, Bike is Very comfortable, and the way the bike is ridden is entirely up to you, It can be Dr Jeckl or Mr Hyde
wink.gif

The stock bike is really comfortable.   In addition there are a few simple mods that can be done to the Busa to make it even more comfortable.  I have ridden bikes for years.  The Busa is very comfortable.  I can honestly say you will not be disappointed at all.  The bike is a marval of engineering.  I rode it to work this morning and I still cann't believe what a machine it is.

Welcome aboard
beerchug.gif
cool.gif

There are different manufacturers of handlebar risers. GenMar, Heli-Bars are a couple. They will relieve some stress, but remember...it IS still a sportbike, and it will get to you after a while. But it's so much fun, you'll forget about the pain until you stop for break.

As others have said: You control the throttle. Never ride faster than your gaurdian angel can fly.

The Busa can be a very docile machine if you want it to be. I was actually surprised at how civil it was, and how easy it is to keep it that way. The freight train performance is just a mere twist of the wrist away. Just follow your heart in your decision, and you won't be disappointed.
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the board! Spiegler has bars that mount on top of the tree too. If the Busa doesn't bother your back, GO FOR IT!
If it does, you might look at a FJR1300.

Thanks for the warm welcome from all. This is one of the friendliest boards on internet.
Am signing up for MSF and working OT before I make final commitment to a BUSAful machine. Really want to get on a bike and see if the discs can handle it. Will be sure to post pics when I get her in the stable!
Til then I'll just lurk here on the sidewalk soaking up all the pertinent information.
Thanks again.
Ride Safe!

Back