Newbie Question, dont Laugh Dang it!!!

Busa_Powered

Registered
Whats the best way to stay on the bike when starting out from a standstill?

I hold on as best as I can, but I only weigh 150 lbs at 6'2"

Guess the extra 60 lbs of weight I lost recently could have come in handy there.

I start off in first gear quickly and feel like I'm going to fall off and I cant pry my hands loose from to shift into 2nd gear and/or pop the clutch.

This is not my first bike, just first powerful bike and its frustrating!! :lol:

two things.... imho...

1) relax, big time relax.... your obviously clenching.. thinking if you dont hang on for dear life your going to fly away...

2) roll your body slightly forward ... if your sitting straight up and down inertia will make you "fly back", roll slightly forward towards the front of the bike and all of that energy will transfer down your spine to the seat and keep you planted rather than scooting...

believe it or not muscle memory plays into this a lot, just do what others above have suggested, and you will get the hang of it..good luck:thumbsup:

Yeah, the first thing that the guy at the powersports store told me is " you dont even have to give this bike any gas to get going, just slowly let the clutch out." try it, its a pretty smooth/slow way to get to 9ish mph.

best way is to find an open parking lot and practice taking off from stop. dont be in the streets practicing!!!!

I think you are letting the clutch go too fast and putting too much throttle. Ease on that and as many above me said, lean forward as if you wanna move forward and bike is just slow :)

I'm 5'8" and weigh only 110lbs and I never had that issue, unless I'm just trying to go from 10mph to 90 mph as fast as I can. Even then I just lean forward as if I wanna pull that bike forward.

As many above me suggested, I always squeeze my thighs on the gas tank when I wanna move fast. It also helps reducing drag. And if you notice there's an edge like curve on the gas tank. I put my knee on that, so when I slow down fast, i can push there with knee to stop my abrupt forward motion.

Hope this helps.

It's a busa, you dont need to pop the clutch, just roll off the throttle about 20 mph and snap it. Hang on cause it's gonna spin or wheelie. :cheerleader:

spend a little time "slow raceing" in a parking lot. go as slow as you can, balance the bike. i rode trials when i was younger, although a Busa is no trials bike, it can be balanced like one. learn to go slow before you go fast.

Sometimes i think i have the same issue as far as shifting goes.. I stay on the bike fine but the shifts are jerky and every once in awhile I'll get a smooth one. I think its practice and throttle control.. I'm used to riding cruisers where you let out the clutch easy.. With the busa i think its more of a snap effect of the clutch.. I'm i right?

Everyone is dead right here...

I'm 6'3" and weigh 165lbs but never feel like I'm might be flying off unless I'm racing off a line... But even then I'm not really because I'm squeezing the tank and leaning forward...

Just let that clutch out slower... The bike will start to go without the clutch all the way out and no throttle... So just relax and take it easy...

:beerchug:

I think you are letting the clutch go too fast and putting too much throttle. Ease on that and as many above me said, lean forward as if you wanna move forward and bike is just slow :)

I'm 5'8" and weigh only 110lbs and I never had that issue, unless I'm just trying to go from 10mph to 90 mph as fast as I can. Even then I just lean forward as if I wanna pull that bike forward.

As many above me suggested, I always squeeze my thighs on the gas tank when I wanna move fast. It also helps reducing drag. And if you notice there's an edge like curve on the gas tank. I put my knee on that, so when I slow down fast, i can push there with knee to stop my abrupt forward motion.

Hope this helps.

you only weigh 110::11 i bet yours just about takes off and gets air with you on it....

If you could ask someone to take a few seconds video of how you start and post it here via youtube, it would be easier to see what the problem is.

its not with normal riding. ive got that figured out. Dont even have to give it any gas.

its when I want to see how fast I can accelerate. Like that video on youtube, where he is full throttle all the way to top speed.

Not that Im going to go that fast, but he takes off smoothly.

Someone asked, I dropped the weight in about 4 months cutting calories to 500-600 a day and working out alot on the treadmill. The weight fell off, regardless of what people say. I didnt lose my metabolism and Ive been maintaining for year now. Now I eat about 1500 cals tops.

Back