New World Record? Wind chill attained on Hayabusa

OB_Hapo

Registered
Jan 03 2000, 9:20pm: 28%F @175+ indicated @ 5.6 miles (Hayabusa)(electric vest)(could go faster??)

Dec 22 1998, 11:30pm: 15%F @160+ indicated @ 5.6 miles (TL1000R)(WFO)(electric vest)

(KawAbuser knows this road...remember the way to John's that day? When our Busas snacked on that up start TL1000S?)

Nov 27 1989, 3:43pm: 4%F @145+ indicated @ 3.8 miles (VFR700)(WFO)(Frost Bite)(CTrt#254)

...my Busa is in storage but accessilbe...don't want to "salt" my Busa too much, but will be looking for oppertunities to sneak out when possible...got the DR to use in the crap, if I get too crazy to not ride in the snow or anything...the only time I ever crashed a bike unrideable was that VFR in a snow storm...3ed times a charm...broke case cover on 3ed dump and lost oil...got about six inches here right now and still snowing, first snow all winter...time for some snow wheelies! (that's crashing) Break out the Ben Gay, Maw!

...BTW, people do make fun of the way I dress for a winter ride...it can take up to 30 min just to get every thing on just so, and it is real hard not to work yourself into a total sweat twords the end...the Dainese T2 suit has proven to be a great cold weather suit with a full thermoliner and compatability with an electric vest as well as outstanding world class protection...my old Hien Gericke leathers were brutal in comparison, and I used to think they were warm... the cheap assed Joe Rocket gear I bought smokes the HG stuff in comfort, warmth and protection...electric gloves and socks would help a lot, but if you have GOOD winter gloves and socks and can keep your torso warm with an elctric vest and effective seal at the critical neck / helment juncture, your exremities won't freeze(literaly) too fast...an "active" riding style helps here too, use your arms and legs a lot to push the blood around...

...and I do not believe I have set any records...I'm sure DP's been faster, and I know it gets colder at his house...but I've ridden for hours in sub freezing weather, and boy does it suk! Ain't much fun...I gotta stop every 30 min or so to clean up my nose (yuk) and, God help me, I don't why I keep doing it...wanna go for some rides if the road get clear this winter, KawAbuser? The barron winter landscape is of an exuisite beauty painful in it's elegance to behold...

[This message has been edited by Hapo (edited 13 January 2000).]

What is the highest attained speed you have rode at the lowest temperature, resulting in the lowest wind chill temperature.

Please list the conversions in C anf F.

120 at 38 degrees so far, and it is now snowing outside.

I somehow feel this will be beat by the Paris Dakar Busa pilot Dirty Pete.

gsx1300guy, I thought you had her in storage!

Last Sunday was a nice day, who would have thought we would be out riding in mid January. :)

I'm going out today. Will 150 at 75degrees count? hehehehehee. Nasty job, but somehow I'll grit my teeth and get it done.8=)

I've done a fair amount of riding at the freezing mark this year and I just ride normally...i.e. I always take it to full speed on the same deserted stretch on my way home.

I don't ride as far as I do in warm weather though. Just 1/2 hour blasts with the first 10 minutes of riding used to bring the motor up to temp and the last 5 minutes to cool it down.

It hasn't been cold in Toronto yet, so I haven't had my Busa out in seriously chilly stuff.

On bikes before the Busa, I went out at any temperature as long as there's no precipitation and the roads are dry. That means temperatures down to 5 degrees F or so. Below that, I feel the engine's heat distribution system may be compromised so I stay home.

There is nothing daring or Spartan about any of this. It's no different from a personal warmth point of view than running a snowmobile.

You never hear anyone say "Man I was out on my snowmobile yesterday and it was really cold out!"

Strangely, I never see anyone else out on a bike below 40 degrees. Except the guys who do sanctioned ice racing in front of my house every Sunday.

The last ride on my busa was a COLD one.As I am attending school I now live in a small flat and I had to ride my Busa to a friends house to store it. And as U all know I am a lazy dag so I whaited until the 14 of dec to do so and it was around zero F ( -18C ) and VERY slippery . OK I even crashed on my way because a car stopped in front of me ( at a red light ) and I had to avoid him so I went up on the boardwalk to avoid ramming up his *** . ( hehe I guess the sensorship got the last word but its the hole U all **** through hehe ) Well what are boardwalks meant to do ? Protect walkers from cars I guess. But not from a busapilot on a mission from God.I had to shout to peoples to get out of my way and they sure did in a hurry. But hey... arent we forgetting something here ? The light was still red and I was traveling towards the crossing road at about 40 kmh. What to do ? Aim for the biggest pile of snow and hope itll do the trick to slow me down. Well it worked but I was thrown off the busa and landed almost on the road. Lucily the busa wasnt hurt, only my pride ( hell I aint got no pride so nothing was hurt hehe ). I guess I was up to 60 mph on that ride and zero F. Any takers ?

Kawabuser!,I do have it in storage but I took it out a couple of weeks ago because I couldn`t take it any more.It`s back on the stands I`m waiting for my Tri-oval set up to come in....I dont feel so bad now because of the snow :).

Yngve It may be fair to say you are the worlds first "Snowplow Busa"!

Get the Busa sander attachment and work her through the winter to pay for the MC Xpress Turbo. :)

Last sat. went 155, I think it was over 40f though. Winter's not over yet, so I'll get you some wind chills.

Hapo, I was reading your post and going down the checklist from my Seattle days...yup, the neck, that freezes...yup, the wrists, that freezes...yup, the...etc., etc.

The only way to be able to ride well in that stuff is to have to do it, and then to experiment with clothing and to innovate. My most crazy would be I-5 past Mt. Shasta in Feb. 1983, going from LA to Seattle. I just booked straight thru at 70-75, but it was 32F and snowing big wet flakes that stuck to the visor. By the time I made the pass it was down to one lane, and only the wheel ruts had exposed pavement. I went over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 east of Seattle once in similar conditions, but I was 60 miles from home then, not 600.

Gotta say Viol8r's right about our cute and cuddly little treasure Hapo.

He's got a way with words...Hapotalk...truly the poet laureat of .org.

He rides the roads not taken, swings the frozen birches of the motorcycle forest.

He who readeth HapoZen knoweth the true inner peace, harmony and spiritual unity that only schizophrenia can bring.

Back