Fuel Injection -- Storage

OB_BullDog

Registered
Great advise 1300guy! Thanks..

Pete: Usually winnipeg can get extremely cold, the last 2 winters have been mild. It's Dec 5th and no snow on the ground, this is NOT normal for central Canada. When I get the bike next month if the weather is right I will ride it! But my luck, we will have a lot of snow by then. The city loves to pour sand/salt all over the streets for no reason.

Maybe this year, seeing how I am getting it mid-winter, I will just spray/lube everything and run it biweekly. But next year I think I will take 1300guy's advise as my garage is not heated and I wouldn't want to be cruel to the baby and ask it to warm up in -25 to -35 temps, thats just selfish!!
:)

I just pour in 2.5 0z of fuel stabilizer and fill the tank with super.You can also put some redline water wetter in the radiator(about 1/3 the bottle) shake the bike and let it run for 5 min.Change the oil also the oil gets acidic when old ,wax the bike and if you can unload your suspension (ie comealong from ceiling).Oil your chain.If your real anal you can change your brake fluid in the spring...yes I do.A light coat of WD40 on all the aluminium parts and unpainted metal helps prevent oxidizing also.Disconnect your battery and bring it inside,or you can buy a automatic trickle charger and keep it plugged in all winter.When you fire it up in the spring pour in some Fuel injection cleaner every couple tanks(I like Redline) get about 10 tanks of cleaner per bottle.Some guys even go as far as putting a light coat of silicon on the brake rotors and tires but you can see the problems if you dont clean it all off...no I dont.I have the manual but I haven`t read what it said about storage...Good luck...

P.S. yes I have to admit I start my bike every couple of weeks to here its heart and to keep the tension off the same valvesprings :)

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 05 December 1999).]

One thing that worries me is Ive seen cylinders get a light coat of rust on them. I really dont know how long this takes and I guess if you didnt look down the spark plug hole you would never know it. I like the idea of running the bike but then get concerned whether Ive run it long enough to boil out any condensation. I wish I could just keep my bikes in the house with me where its warm and dry.

Kong that is my point about getting the bike up to full oil operating temp. That will boil out condensation. One point I didn't mention because I thought it was a little on the anal side:

When I run my bike up to full hot oil temp and then shut it down every week in the winter, I immediately stuff Nerf balls into the exhausts to prevent condensation up the pipes and into the combustion chambers.

Not just any Nerf balls though. The pretty yellow and red ones shaped like a football.

Rags wuld do just as well.

I guess the coated cylinder in the Busa cant rust can it? Thats funny DP, I put a plastic cap on my ZX11 exhaust to! Here in Tx we have a creature we call a dirt dobber, kinda looks like a wasp but doesnt sting. Those dam things will build their mudd coccoons anywhere you dont want them to, even overnight. The damn things will get in anywhere, I hate em! If I worried about making money as much as I worry about my bikes Id be a billionair.

I had a little hole where my air hose came into my shop and mice came in and brought dog food up my harley straight pipes to the exhaust valve and when I started it the dog food went into the bore. Now I always stuff rags in the winter.

Bulldog don't store your bike, start it up once every week or two and run it up to operating temp (hot oil, not just hot coolant). And keep the battery charged.

Saves you a lot of buggering around, keeps the engined better lubed and the fuel system clean. Plus to get to hear your baby every week and you can take her out for a run if you get the right kind of winter day.

Is it too cold in Winterpeg to do this? It's never too cold in Toronto.

Is there any special winter storage procedures for the fuel injection?

I know what to do with carbs etc. Any tips or advice from guys who store there bikes for 5 months would be appreciated!

Back