New -vs- used

tobe1ask

Registered
Any and all comments wanted about buying a new -vs- a used bike. I'm considering 03BUSABOY's bike that is for sale.

i like used stuff over new stuff... *shrugs* but then again,
i figured i'd wanna learn how its all put together, so i bought
a salvage bike... i figured instead of buying a top dollar new bike,
i'd buy a salvage bike and put it together the way i wanted from
the bottom up... and not have tons of left over original parts.

but that's not really a used bike... least not the way i think you
mean... but i found a 2005 salvage bike with 1200 miles on it,
with the kind of damage i was interested in (cracked lower
case near the clutch)... i'm still waiting for a few more parts to
land, but the engine's starting to get rebuilt -- shouldn't take
more than a few days once i get the last of the parts...

Bikes are built strong and can take a beating...If you ride and don't hear or feel any issues used is fine...Only problem with used is you just don't know how bad of a beating the bike has taken...

<!--EDIT|STUNNAH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141957947 -->

Used bikes, risky.

Bent frames? Abused motor?

New bikes, expensive.

When it comes to a bike like the 'busa, I never even considered used. I wanted to break it in myself and know it's history. You never know if it's been beaten. On the other hand, if you know the bike, know the rider, review service records, etc--money can be saved!

i prefer to pop for new stuff, that way, you are always in the know as to what has happened/ been done to it, also you can maintain it from day one, and know that it is done and done right and on time. just my opinion, i buy everything new, so i may not save money, but peace of mind is something you cant go out and buy if your not sure of your pre owned purchace...

-WHEELMAN

If this was your first bike, I'd definitly say used.
Then if this was your other than first bike, then, I'd say your available for a new bike.
Then if your a cheap azz, like me, I'd say get a used one. Not too used. It's just like shopping (shopping=looking not a hooker) for a girlfriend. I like an experience bike but not to experienced. So don't get an over experienced bike cuz it'll fogg you up in the long run.

My drunken .02

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

It really depends on personal opinion~
Myself.. I can't buy used... it's gotta be new~ Yes, you find some really good deals on used stuff.. but it really depends on how well you know the previous owner~ Was he/she the first and only owner? How was the bike (in this case) treated?... maintained~ I just don't like the idea of buying someone elses problems~ If I buy new.. I've got nobody to blame but myself if/when things go wrong~
wink.gif

This is just how I feel about the question on topic~ My wife, on the other hand, is the biggest thrifty shopper around~ This women would dumpster dive if she spotted something in there she thought she could use! She once bought me a 'refurbished' DVD player for a B'day gift~ I had to take it back and exchange it for a 'new' one, because in my mind.. if it's been refurbished then something was wrong with it to begin with and I don't want it~ Sad.. I know... but I'm a very anal kinda person... gotta be new!
biggrin.gif

I'm not against buying anything used. If you now what to look for. You have to be a good judge of character when you meet the person, check out other things they own, is it clean, sloppy, etc.. If buying used from a dealer, its a toss up. I've known people that traded cars in to dealers because they could not sell on own due to problems with vehicle, dealers could care less.
I was looking at used before I bought new. When I would find a bike that was really clean, all stock, everything seemed good. The price was only $2g's lower than new. After a few months of having same exprience a few times, bought new. NO regrets.

When it comes to a bike like the 'busa, I never even considered used.  I wanted to break it in myself and know it's history.  You never know if it's been beaten.  On the other hand, if you know the bike, know the rider, review service records, etc--money can be saved!
+1.....a bike like a Busa is a big investment. I wanted to be the only one that had ever touched my baby. That why I knew how it was broken in and that some dumb fug hadn't beat it to death.

I usually have to buy new all the time. Have only purchased one vechile used....until I found my bike. I think if you are looking and shopping around and you find one with low low miles (1900 to be exact
biggrin.gif
) Then you should be ok. Just take you time to look it over. If you do all of your own wrenching then a used one shouldnt be an issue at all.

Used advantage is mainly saving cost. Depreciation quickly reduces the cost over the first few years. Interesting Busa hold it's price, much higher then adverage.
Used in general can get more bike for the buck. It would be the difference from getting a New OK bike, to getting a Used Great bike.
Helps if your the wrenching type when buying used. Can use your knowledge when looking over a used bike. Fix anything on the used bike you bought. Get a used bike up to snuff, where you can trust it.
I get used cause I obsess too much when buying new. Would rather not worry about a few scratches.

I've bought tons of used bikes and never had a prob. If you have some mechanical skills and know what to look for used is fine.......you save a bundle over new and someone else takes the big hit in depreciation
wink.gif

I buy new bikes and used cars... I dunno I like new bikes, they are much more personal.

BUT

Having said that, most of the owners and members on this board are true fans and take great care of their rides. So I would feel pretty damned good about buying a used bike from a board member. Just so long as the ground work is there and you get a good....

"Vibe"

I buy new as well. The cost difference between new and used is so slight I just can't imagine buying used. There are two things I really like. One is that New Wife Smell! Two is I love that new bike smell too
biggrin.gif

sorry i went to i like the warany issue havent used it yet or plan to but i know who rode ity terrorized stuff like that and my 05 was 104 out the door so i couldnt passt it up

Back