New to the turbo world

s3ns4i

Registered
Well as some of you know I went through a pretty big turbo build the past few months. Figured I could come here to ask a few questions, please keep in mind I'm still a newb.

1) Do people still use PCV's with turbos? My bike previously had one but I was told that all of the tuning was done through the ECU so it was no longer needed. What do I do with this thing now?

2) Lockup clutch? I got one, no clue why, whats the purpose?

3) Lockup clutch, I was told that at high speeds, I should NOT pull the clutch in or I will start melting stuff. Should I now use my air shifter when at high speeds? Does it only work when my boost controller is active?

My bike went from 176+hp to over 310 on 93 and over 400 on c16. This thing scared the living poop out of me just on spring pressure. What additional addon do you guys have for your turbo bikes?

Sorry for all the questions

Last edited:
Well as some of you know I went through a pretty big turbo build the past few months. Figured I could come here to ask a few questions, please keep in mind I'm still a newb.

1) Do people still use PCV's with turbos? My bike previously had one but I was told that all of the tuning was done through the ECU so it was no longer needed. What do I do with this thing now?

3) Lockup clutch, I was told that at high speeds, I should NOT pull the clutch in or I will start melting stuff. Should I now use my air shifter when at high speeds? Does it only .work when my boost controller is active?

My bike went from 176+hp to over 310 on 93 and over 400 on c16. This thing scared the living poop out of me just on spring pressure. What additional addon do you guys have for your turbo bikes?

Sorry for all the questions
HI. I will be using the MAXX stand alone EC. I will have the MTC Gen 2 lock up clutch but with some mode. You could try VP Q16. I am bulding a 1000 HP LSR/street bike. My E Mail is vn66676869@aol.con my # is 508-496-5680 .

1) Sell it.
2) Keeps the clutch from slipping.
3) You will not be able to use the clutch once it's locked up. Shift without the clutch or use your air shifter. Lockup clutch has nothing to do with your boost controller, unless it's a boost-referenced clutch.
Tell us more about your setup. Kit type, spring pressure, boost control method etc. Always like to hear more about turbo stuff!

As far as the power commander just ride down thru Roseville and I'll tell you what trash can to throw it in :poke: :lol: . Seriously tho if it is ruined thru ECU you no longer need it so put it up for sale. As far as everything else just read what mr. Brown said:thumbsup:

the pcv could give you the option of using an ignition kill for their quickshifter which is pretty cool on the street. That's what I use with my lockup clutch. Works well. I tried the one with the ecu fuel and ignition cut I have a Gen 1, but found dynojet worked flawless for me. The software from Woolich Racing has improved so a shifter with fuel and ignition cut probably works just as good.
The lockup uses a series of arms that when spun faster will pull the clutch tighter with cintrifugall force. The only way to disingage the arms is to let off the throttle or kill the ignition and or fuel while under load to "unload the clutch" Turbo guys like to kill the ignition as well to keep a lean condition from occurring. It's so quick though I doubt you will run into a lean condition if only the fuel cut was used. I like it because I don't have to fill a bottle. I do a lot of street riding.

the pcv could give you the option of using an ignition kill for their quickshifter which is pretty cool on the street. That's what I use with my lockup clutch. Works well. I tried the one with the ecu fuel and ignition cut I have a Gen 1, but found dynojet worked flawless for me. The software from Woolich Racing has improved so a shifter with fuel and ignition cut probably works just as good.
The lockup uses a series of arms that when spun faster will pull the clutch tighter with cintrifugall force. The only way to disingage the arms is to let off the throttle or kill the ignition and or fuel while under load to "unload the clutch" Turbo guys like to kill the ignition as well to keep a lean condition from occurring. It's so quick though I doubt you will run into a lean condition if only the fuel cut was used. I like it because I don't have to fill a bottle. I do a lot of street riding.
Woolwich racing is a joke. They lock the ECU and you have to pay them to remove their own sh!t.
You can use an mps standalone kill box or an airkill for the shifter, or if you are wanting to stay with a PC use their quickshifter.

looks like you have a gen 2, you can use drive mode mod for shift kill. do you have larger secondary injectors?
boost by smith sells an airshifter adapter and a ecu flash setup. ecu hacker has lots of info for the gen2 ecu mods.

Sell the power commander, and have it tuned through the ecu. You’ll need a 3 bar map sensor to be able to use all the turbo related fueling in the ecu which I sell with the adapter harness.

Tell us more about the turbo set up. Does your power commander have a map sensor connected to it? If it doesn’t, that likely means your bike has an fmu on it. If that’s the case, running 18-20psi to make 400hp is a death wish on an fmu.

with a lock up clutch you don’t need to always use the air shifter. You can let off the throttle a touch and shift in to the next gear without pulling the clutch.

Stock ecu can also handle the ignition/fuel kill for quickshifters and air shifters.

Sorry guys for not being more detailed,

I went from a stock tune, with Brocks full exhaust and PCV to the following:

Stage 2 ultra RCC Turbo with intercooler, BOV, ams 1000, all motor upgrades, full exhaust and all tuning was done through the ecu. The person who built the bike, removed the PCV I had and did everything through the ECU.

I went from the Dyno jet quick shifter to an air shifter also.

full build and pics can been seen in the link here:

just wanted to post here because there is so much more to riding a turbo bike than normal and this is my first turbo anything ever.

1) Sell it.
2) Keeps the clutch from slipping.
3) You will not be able to use the clutch once it's locked up. Shift without the clutch or use your air shifter. Lockup clutch has nothing to do with your boost controller, unless it's a boost-referenced clutch.
Tell us more about your setup. Kit type, spring pressure, boost control method etc. Always like to hear more about turbo stuff!

Thank you so much for your reply. I listed the setup in the above minus the spring pressure which is currently at 4lbs. The bike is also setup as boost by gear.

The goal was to create a turbo bike that was stealth, and since the motor was out, i decided to go all out with it before it went back in. :)

Nice job. Looked at your other thread of the build.
I like when I see 21lbs on the boost guage on a stock wheel base. Moves out

Keep the PC5 on there. A flash should be good but a lot of people want to fine tune the flash by PC5. I would think with turbo, that might be even more important.

From what I understand those have a clutch basket with little weights on pivot arms around the outer edge. The faster the clutch basket turns, the harder the weights pull against the plates under centrifugal force. Hays is a good one I hear. Very nice, Very expensive.

My bike went from 176+hp to over 310 on 93 and over 400 on c16. This thing scared the living poop out of me just on spring pressure.
:thumbsup:

Back