New to the site

afrothunder

Registered
My name is Zack, I am 24 and live in Arkansas. I have loved the busa since the early 2000's when I first saw one. My parents would never let me have a bike so I never learned to ride. Last year I lived with a 3 guys that have the same major in college as me and one of them had an 03, I believe, black and grey busa. When he first got it he wanted to change the oil but couldn't do it for some reason. So he told me if I could do it, start it, and take off with out stalling it he would let me ride it. So I ended up riding it up and down the road a few times and it was amazing! Now that I have a little bit of money I am thinking about getting a bike. I would love to get a busa but think I should probably start on something smaller. I sat on a GSXR600 but it felt really small to me. I was thinking about a Suzuki SV650 but not sure. What do yall think?
I know yall love pics :rulez: so here are some of my old roommates bike.
CIMG0652.jpg

CIMG0653.jpg

and one of me on the bike
CIMG0640.jpg

Starting on something smaller is wise. The SV650 is a great bike. You will just need to sit on several different models to find one that fits you. Anything less than 1000cc is a good starter bike. Take a motorcycle safety class, get a small practice bike....and go have fun. Once you're comfy you can go get that busa. Welcome to the org!

I'll be honest, I've been riding since I was 5, am now 26...and have ridden quite a few bikes and can say, for a first bike, the hayabusa is my last recommendation. I actually find that I enjoy corner carving and bopping around town on my sv650s much more than the hayabusa. I find it rather difficult to obey the :rulez: of the road on my busa as well...which translates into tickets...and lack of money. They look cool, but for a beginner (and experienced alike) rider, the sv650 or sv650s is your best bet dollar for dollar.

Get something without full fairings and put frame sliders on it. Naked or standard bikes are cool too you know:poke: :laugh:

:welcome: to the org
Sounds like you are trying to do it right. Take your time and enjoy riding. Be safe and have fun :thumbsup:

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

learning on a busa is definitely not ideal but I am sure for some it is possible. I only had a zx6 for a year before upgrading.

:welcome: to the org. Enjoy the riding experience. The SV is a great bike and lots of fun. Post up pics when you get one and get some saddle time!

I got one brand new when I was 18. First on-road bike. It's all about how much you trust yourself to be overly cautious. I only went over 8k rpm a few times in the first 1k miles, and even so had a few close calls. If you can control your right hand, I found the biggest problem was weight. Only time I dropped it was lubing the chain when I forgot to put the kickstand down, and it was too heavy to pull back up. An MSF course wouldn't be a bad idea. Still, you've got a decent risk of scratching it at least, and you can get an old cheap beater for the price of fairings.

I was fortunate enough to never have any incidents other than dropping it in the driveway and looking like a squid in general, but I loaned it to a buddy for a weekend who had been riding some old 120cc bike for a month or two, and he totaled it on his way to return it to me. Couldn't keep out of the throttle. Self-restraint is the biggest key, but you're still at a higher risk of dropping it during your learning curve. If you feel you can take it easy for a couple thousand miles and don't mind gambling a bit, go for it. Otherwise, the 650 would be fun without being so easy to get into big trouble with.

Welcome to the Org! I think you are on the right track. Starting out with something under 1000cc will benefit you in the long run. Plus your skills and confidence level increase. Enjoy the process. You have a lifetime of riding ahead of you"

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the org. Lets not forget the gear. Gotta have a helmet, gloves, and a jacket at min. Also some leather protection for the ankles. So no sneaker or flip flops. Dwfinately take a motorcycle safety course. Be safe and enjoy. The sv650 is a great bike. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome to the .org. :welcome:

Personally... (yeah yeah I know I'm a girl.. but....) I rode a 600 Ninja for 3 months before I started riding a Busa. I think the "beginner" bike choice all depends on the amount of control you have over your ego.

Good luck in whatever your choose. :cheerleader:

SV 650 is a GREAT starter bike. And in the hands of the right rider, they will flat fly on the track I've been passed by a SV ON MY BUSA at a trackday before (the rider IS the difference)...

Get the 650 and AGATT, take the MSF and put some seat time in before going for the big girl. P.S. TRACK DAYS COME HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!:welcome:

Thanks for the welcomes and all the advice! I pretty sure I am going to go with the SV650 without the fairings and put some frame sliders on it. I am definitely going to take a MSF course and ATGATT when I ride.

Hey guys, my name is Shabba, im new to the forum but been riding a busa since 1999. I hope one of you guys can help me, I left my key in my bike and drained the battery, I tried jumping it with my ford explorer and hook the cables up backwards and tried to start my bike and sent a reverse polarity through my bike. It didnt start I noticed snoke coming from battery then I unhooked it. Now the only thing I get is the neutral light and the oil light to stay on (even without the key in the bike) when I hook up a new battery. I checked all fuses(none where blown), swapped out the ecu, traced through the wire harness for burnt or melted wires or connections, unhooked on and off switch, ignition, regulator resistor, just in case short is coming from one of them, still same result neutral and oil light stuck on while battery connected(even without key in bike!

Back