New tire and a cotter pin

OldMan

Registered
First off, happy new year! I haven't been posting much lately but hope everyone is doing well. So I have a new tire, less than 400 miles and it picked up a cotter pin, figures. I plugged it and will see if holds air for a few days before i ride it to the shop. Do most of you get these repaired or buy a new tire. I did some looking around and some say toss the tire and others feel it's ok to plug. Any opinions?

In addition, I know i have to cut the plug down a bit, but is this the way it is supposed to be insterted?

cotter pin puncture.jpg

tire plug.jpg

I have a plug kit and cyclepump under my seat that I hope I never need. It's there in case I need to limp home. I'de replace the tire just because you now know it has a weak spot. Although it's likely the tire would deflate slowly, I have had a couple rear tires pop and deflate almost instantly. Fortunately they were about 35mph and in a straight line.
If that plug comes out leaned down in a curve at any speed you may find yourself in a lowside or highside.
The cost to replace a fairing is twice that of a rear tire. There is of course no price you can put on your life.
The risks may be low depending on who you talk to, but I wouldn't want to live with the regret of not replacing a $200 tire. Or worse, your family burieing you over it.
It really sucks man, but buy a tire.:beerchug:

I'd trim down the plug a little more. I have run plugs with great results. Most say change the tire for safety reasons of course.

You will get lots of responses to this one. It all boils down to can you live with that little voice in your head telling you your tire is plugged as you boogie through the twisties or pass 150 on a deserted back road. I had the same thing happen after only 1000 miles on a new back tire and I replaced it.

I hear Michelin uses magnetic wiring in their Pilot Powers and they attracted nails, screws, cotterpins, safety wire along with a managerie of metal objects. :dunno:

The proper way to plug a tire is with a mushroom plug from the inside. I have used many and never had an issue. But then I never do tripple digits with a plugged tire either.

if you ride even remotely hard, like opening it up getting on the expressway i would replace the tire if you just make the occasional trip to the corner store then i would ride it for a while. But if you do get agressive at all i wouldnt be caught dead on a plug.. just my opinion

First off, happy new year! I haven't been posting much lately but hope everyone is doing well. So I have a new tire, less than 400 miles and it picked up a cotter pin, figures. I plugged it and will see if holds air for a few days before i ride it to the shop. Do most of you get these repaired or buy a new tire. I did some looking around and some say toss the tire and others feel it's ok to plug. Any opinions?

In addition, I know i have to cut the plug down a bit, but is this the way it is supposed to be insterted?

the cotter pin goes in the rear axle after you tightin the nut, NOT IN TH TIRE.....:laugh:

I don't like plugs but not because of them pulling out, if done right they're pretty solid. Plugging, specifically reaming before inserting the plug, damages the steel cords inside the tire plus it enlarges the hole and exposes the belts to moisture. I've seen the belts rust and fail from this. If you're gonna plug the rubber mushroom plug mentioned by TB is best as they seal the hole better than others.

Generally you can leave the puncture alone and get to the shop, air the tire up (I add a few extra pounds of air but I won't tell you to do that.) and carefully back road it to the shop or home. At that point patch it from the inside. Properly done a patch heat cycles and becomes part of the tire and I'll trust it to warp speeds. In fact I had a rear that sported no less than four patches for several thousand miles. All sorts of different stuff, nail, two screws, piece of copper wire all within about six weeks time. I was getting irritated by that, just a bit.

I don't like plugs but not because of them pulling out, if done right they're pretty solid. Plugging, specifically reaming before inserting the plug, damages the steel cords inside the tire plus it enlarges the hole and exposes the belts to moisture. I've seen the belts rust and fail from this. If you're gonna plug the rubber mushroom plug mentioned by TB is best as they seal the hole better than others.

Generally you can leave the puncture alone and get to the shop, air the tire up (I add a few extra pounds of air but I won't tell you to do that.) and carefully back road it to the shop or home. At that point patch it from the inside. Properly done a patch heat cycles and becomes part of the tire and I'll trust it to warp speeds. In fact I had a rear that sported no less than four patches for several thousand miles. All sorts of different stuff, nail, two screws, piece of copper wire all within about six weeks time. I was getting irritated by that, just a bit.

i think your tire was trying to tell you to please replace me so it kept picking up new things lol

I can believe it. It was nice about it, never went flat on me going down the road. Three times was found at work when I headed home. The other was at home about to leave for work. The shop that changed that one asked if they could use it as a cheap spare (They practically give well used tires away to folks in bad financial shape, part of why I go there.) and I said sure but look inside. After popping his eyes back in he wrote "Stunt bike" on the tread and tossed it in the corner! :rofl:

Replace!
When you plug a tire you use the reaming tool to enlarge the hole to fit the repair plug. In the process your breaking down / damaging the carcass of the tire. Plugs are meant for an emergency repair to get you to where you can get it replaced.
Personally I would replace the tire, but I know a few here that will run em... As I always say
"Aint my ride"

If that plug comes out leaned down in a curve at any speed you may find yourself in a lowside or highside.
The cost to replace a fairing is twice that of a rear tire. There is of course no price you can put on your life.
The risks may be low depending on who you talk to, but I wouldn't want to live with the regret of not replacing a $200 tire. Or worse, your family burieing you over it.
It really sucks man, but buy a tire.:beerchug:

Not much else I could add to above....except +10000 on getting a new tire.

I'm going to get a another new tire this weekend to replace my NEW TIRE... what are similar tires to the Pilot CT2? I'm thinking of trying something different?

I hear Michelin uses magnetic wiring in their Pilot Powers and they attracted nails, screws, cotterpins, safety wire along with a managerie of metal objects. :dunno: .

I think on their site they recommend placing the front tire on backwards to create a FORCE FIELD affect and deflect any foreign objects :lol:

Back