Cotter pins

MFFJM2

Registered
What size cotter pin goes in the rear axle nut. It does no good for me to ask my local dealer, as in Europe and Australia they don't use cotter pins. It appears to be a 3/16 x 1 3/4 inch cotter pin when I measure the old bent one. The service manual says to replace it every time you remove it. Great, but I don't have a box of them sitting around. I could order some if I knew the size. Anyone know..?

you dont have to replace it every single time you take it off. had mine 5 yrs and only replaced it once. i just bend the pin slightly to keep it from backing out instead of bending it all the way up. im sure someone here has a few laying around they can ship you. good luck

Actually I have quite a few. If you really need one or two, just shoot me an address and I'll ship 'em to ya.

And like psycobusa said, you can reuse those pins more than once. Just make sure you bend the end outward to keep it from pulling out of place. Actually, I believe a metal coat hanger will work for a temporary fix. Just get some wire cutters and snip off about 4 inches, run it through the hole, and run both ends around.

I replace mine every time. I use 5/32 x 1.5". I bought a bag of 24 for $.99. At that price I can afford to throw the old one away!

The reason why they say to replace it everytime is cause some knucklehead will re-use it a thousand times and as you know,bend a pc. of metal back and forth enough times and it will break!

I got my at "Farm & Family supply" Kind of a garden/farm/home center. Also Harbor Freight has 'em.

Back