New Radial Masters

Tango1300

Registered
Well I finally finished the swap of the 2007 GSXR1000 Masters onto my Hayabusa. The swap had a couple kinks in it but being that I have just about every Suzuki offered at our dealer, getting the right parts was easy.

Here are a couple pics of the completed job.

GSXR1000K7Masters001.jpg

GSXR1000K7Masters002.jpg

GSXR1000K7Masters003.jpg

Before I go into what you will need from your local Suzuki dealer, I will first say that Charles at Street & Track supplied the Pazzo levers and the HEL stainless brake lines. When doing this swap, you will need the 2007 GSXR1000 hose kit. Note that this kit does come with the rear brake hose as well as the two fronts. The supplied banjo bolts fit the front calipers but not the rear. You must use the stock banjo bolt in the rear with the supplied new washers.

If you look at the mount for the brake MC, you will notice the shiny 8mm bolt. This is because the GSXR1000K7 has a different mounting boss on the clip-ons for the MC bracket. Since my desk is right next to a brand new SV650, I noticed the rearview mirror boss would make for a fine MC mounting point. I bought a Heli-coil insert and loctite it into place, so that I could use a much smaller 8mm bolt. If you are not using the Suzuki Double Bubble windshield, you will have to grind .25" off this boss or the MC will not clear your windshield while turning the handlebars.

The Right side Brake MC does come as an assembly but it doesn't come with the Hose, hose clamps, hold-down bracket or the screws. When ordering this part, keep that in mind. I had to learn all this the difficult way.

The left side MC was an easy task. Just remove the old one, and install the new much lighter assembly. It was almost self-priming and practically bled itself to a firm pull. The Clutch MC comes as an assembly with everything you need to replace the Hayabusa one.

Neither MC assemblies come with Lever mounting bolts but you can rob your exisiting ones if you are changing the levers like I did. Your existing Hayabusa Levers will not work with the Radial mounting MC assemblies. I took advantage of this and ordered mine at the same time as I did the replacement of the hoses.

When installing the MC/Lever assemblies, everything swaps over... the switches, hoses and all. Very easy... a caveman could do it.

The test ride was a 150 miles through the National Forest just about 45 miles North of Houston this morning. I cannot even begin to describe the incredible difference these Master have on braking power! Its like riding a whole new bike again! Clutching is like tapping a heat sensitive switch. Just the minute movement of the clutch lever gives instantaneous clutch engagement and with so little effort. Braking was phenominal with full braking pulls from speeds over 150 mph creating a hovering rear tire with no fade in the lever! I am completely impressed with this swap and certainly mark it as one that has made a huge improvement in my riding pleasure.

If you are in the Houston area or need specific part numbers, I will put those down as I remember them. I accidentally removed the parts from the parts baggies & boxes before writing down what they are.

In light of that... here are the numbers.

Clutch MC: 59600-29G10 Retail $147.64

Brake MC: 59800-21H00 Retail $167.08

MC locking bracket holding screw: 02142-0410A $0.66

MC locking clamp: 59735-17C00 $2.50

MC Reservoir Tank Bracket: 59743-17C00 $4.88

SV650 Mounting Bracket: 59671-32F00 $10.88

I will post the other part Numbers when I find them. You get the idea.

(BA BUSA @ May 13 2007,12:39) And could you resize the pics...so we can read the post
crazy.gif
Done...

And Yes, still using the 6-pot calipers. Switching to the radials next month after buying the mounts. Trying to determine if I want to use the M109R brakes or the GSXR1000K7 calipers. The M109R shows to have larger pistons on the Parts EPC, but I am not wanting silver calipers as I am changing to mostly all black parts.

Very nice write-up. When I rode my buddies 07' GSXR1k home from Tucson the day he bought it I was admiring his MC Assemblies and wondered how much of a PITA it would be to swap assemblies. Now I know its not that bad. As for the calipers, I too would buy the ones you feel is best, and then you can always disassemble, clean and power coat, reassemble and be good to go. BTW, what/where are the radial mounts/adapters or a whole new piece?

Charlie

Back