New product possible....pricing suggestions

KvHotDog4

Registered
Ok so I have posted a couple threads about an ugly back rest that I have made, and after my whole family and most of my friends saying I need to patent it and sell them I and coming to my busa family and asking. Before I invest my time and money into this are busa owners really interested in buying one? Also, what would you pay? I have not calculated any type of time or cost because I was only planning on making one and I just used scrap stuff in other words free. Here are a few pics sorry the quality isn't that great I am on my work computer and these were all I had.

Feel free to be brutally honest, if you don't like it tell me because I don't have the money to waste if no one buys them. lol.

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbsup:

IMGP2703.jpg

IMGP2708.jpg

IMGP2710.jpg

To be eligible for a patent, your product should be an improved idea nor a new invention. I think that while this is a dynamite job and quite nice for the Busa, it's not really patent material. However, that doesn't prevent you from selling it.

If I had a passenger on a regular basis, I would seriously consider it, but only if it was quickly removable. That would be key for me. :beerchug:

Thank you I do not know anything about getting a patent I just figured you had an idea you needed to patent it before its stolen lol.

It is very easy to remove, it bolts in the same spot as the grab bar. Take off passenger seat, remove 4 bolts and its off. Hard to steal and easy to remove. It is very strong I weigh 185 I can sit on it and bounce it doesn't move. Just got back from a 1300 mile trip girlfriend loved it.

Oh, I forgot to mention, if I were in the market for one, I would expect to pay $80-$100, but then again, I have no idea what these things go for in the real world. That's my wishful eBay price. :whistle:

i think its a good idea....run with it ..but also dont expect to make alot of money...hobby at best

i think its a good idea....run with it ..but also dont expect to make alot of money...hobby at best

Thats what I was thinking definatly not a big enough market to get rich but I just want to know people would buy them before I invest.

I agree that it is a great idea. Here's another thought, make the luggage rack itself detachable to have just the back rest. Just another selling feature. Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

I agree that it is a great idea. Here's another thought, make the luggage rack itself detachable to have just the back rest. Just another selling feature. Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

So your saying make it just a backrest, but also able to attach a luggage rack??? Not a bad idea I will look into this. I am still looking for opinions on what you would like to pay for this.

Price for the non-removable luggage rack
Price for removable luggage rack.

Any color will be available for the same cost (powder coated) Chrome would cost more if thats what you would prefer.

wow good idea, i think i have seen something like it before but heck go for it:thumbsup:

If your design is unique you can patent it. No matter if there are 50 backrests already out there. Get a patent for your exact and final product.
For you to market it yourself would be difficult but to go to Dennis Kirk with patent and product in hand may cause them to offer you substantial money for its rights.
Consider selling the rights as well as signing a 2% of all future profits contract is what I would do.
Pricewise would be around $100 is what I would expect to see it as in Cycle Gear or DK catalog.

Cant hurt can it ?
Patent in hand you can then safely market it to other manufacturers who may see more in it than we do. :thumbsup:
Just keep in mind last time I checked to obtain a patent can take several yrs.

ok i'll check into the materials and my cost. I'll try for $100 the only thing I can see that would make the price go up is the backrest material. The one I used is off my dads VTX1300 he switched to a mustang and I took the original and made mine.
So for $100 (price not promised yet) just like mine how many people interested?

I'd be interested in one. I say take the time to price out everything and see what it will cost you. I would definetly look into the patent thing, like someone else said, cant hurt to ask!

I would be interested in one also. I like the idea of the backrest with the luggage rack. Great product.:thumbsup:

I'm interested, too.
RE: Patenting. I have many. Utility probably not worth the $ for this, and not likely to provide any real protection. Design patent is cheap (only covers the look); you can do it yourself -- might be worth it. Good trademark name: you can do it yourself -- might be worth it. For good info, buy Pressmans's book (via amazon).
Figure 3 to 4x mark-up if you use distributors.
PM if need more info.
John

I might be interested in one without luggage rack.Wife wouldn't mind riding she'd feel alitte safer with a backrest.

Back