New Owner

Howabusa

Registered
Hey, I'm stepping up from a 1997 Bandit 1200 to a '06 black & gray Hayabusa in the spring, it's on layaway till April. I'm wondering about a centerstand. The Suzuki website lists a centerstand for $219 that looks like a normal centerstand, raises the rear off the ground for chain maintenance and tire replacement. It also lists a centerstand kit for $134. What is the difference? Do most of you use a mounted centerstand or do you use a track or race stand? What is the deal with the stock side stand, I've heard something about the bike not being secure and falling over on the side stand. Thanks, Kent

Kent,
Many of the people here use race stands - in my mind, the two biggest detractors of the center stand are that if you want to lift the front, you need to have the rear stand anyway and to install it you have to remove the belly wing.  The issue that people have had with the kickstand is that the bike stands up very straight, so many people use a dremel tool and trim a little notch allowing the bike to lay over at a greater angle to protect against accidental tipping.

(MC MUSTANG @ Dec. 18 2006,23:flamethrowing:) Kent,
Many of the people here use race stands - in my mind, the two biggest detractors of the center stand are that if you want to lift the front, you need to have the rear stand anyway and to install it you have to remove the belly wing. The issue that people have had with the kickstand is that the bike stands up very straight, so many people use a dremel tool and trim a little notch allowing the bike to lay over at a greater angle to protect against accidental tipping.
That about covers it. Get some race stands for the front and rear and modify the kickstand to let it swing forward a bit more. No need for the centerstand. Do a search on kickstand mod for some pics.

My vote - Kickstand mod and race stands. Oh yeah....CONGRATS!! Great choice  
beerchug.gif

P5210001.jpg

Get some race stands
beerchug.gif

The kick stand mod is simple to do...but if you park your bike right it is not necessary
argue.gif

Thanks for all the good info and the welcome. I found the thread for the side stand mod after I made this post. That will be the first mod I do. I'm not taking a chance on my new baby falling over.
super.gif

If you want more info on the center stand, PM Wag.  He uses one.

Another drawback to a center stand is reduced ground clearance. But only an issue if you are aggressive in the corners.

I use a rear stand with an UNmodified kickstand.  I just pay attention to parking...

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
I got the same bike in July and by the way, those are the fastest colors. Back on topic. Race stand. Center stand takes away from the bike. There's a reason they don't come with em. My '06 leans like heck on the kickstand. I believe the problem comes in when people start slamming ( lowering ) the bikes. And that's true for any bike. Make sure you're on a good surface the bike weighs in at 472 lbs. dry I believe. Enjoy man.
wink.gif

It is impossible to remove the front tire with out a race stand as this photo demonstrates.
IMG_0191Medium.jpg

cheers
ken

(Howabusa @ Dec. 19 2006,12:53) Thanks for all the good info and the welcome. I found the thread for the side stand mod after I made this post. That will be the first mod I do. I'm not taking a chance on my new baby falling over.  
super.gif
post-52-02136-welcome.gif
To the org. I have not done the kickstand mod, however, I always put the bike in first gear when I park it, let the bike roll foreward and take the slack out of the driveline before lowering the kickstand. As long as your bike cannot roll foreward, the bike should not fall over if parked on level surface. Just my $.02

Welcome, and congrats on the new bike, you will love it. and i do the same think as gsxcite, what ever incline you are on just put the bike in gear and roll it the direction of the incline, and it will be safe for the kick stand to be put down

Back