New owner

David Layne

Registered
Hello to all! New Hayabusa owner, older bike to go with older rider. :-) I'm 68 years old, been riding since 1973. I've never raced bikes, but I've been involved in amatuer road racing of cars since the 70s. Me and some friends have been running endurance races the last few years. Although I don't race bikes, I definitely like to carve the twisties! I ride a curvy mountain pass to work every day, and tend to wear out the sides of my tires before the middle. :-)
I recently obtained a 2001 Hayabusa with 20K. (Traded straight across for a 1998 Kawasaki Concours with 75K!)
It had a set of Conti Motion tires on it, and I have to admit I was disappointed in the bike's handling. Yesterday I put a new set of Avon Storm 3D-XM on, and it's like I changed bikes! Even with the Avon's not being broken in, it already feels sooo much better.

This is my Hayabusa. :-)
Hayabusa.jpg

Hello to all! New Hayabusa owner, older bike to go with older rider. :-) I'm 68 years old, been riding since 1973. I've never raced bikes, but I've been involved in amatuer road racing of cars since the 70s. Me and some friends have been running endurance races the last few years. Although I don't race bikes, I definitely like to carve the twisties! I ride a curvy mountain pass to work every day, and tend to wear out the sides of my tires before the middle. :-)
I recently obtained a 2001 Hayabusa with 20K. (Traded straight across for a 1998 Kawasaki Concours with 75K!)
It had a set of Conti Motion tires on it, and I have to admit I was disappointed in the bike's handling. Yesterday I put a new set of Avon Storm 3D-XM on, and it's like I changed bikes! Even with the Avon's not being broken in, it already feels sooo much better.
Welcome. I liked the Avon's. They got pretty good mileage as I recall. That's the biggest challenge you will have with the Busa. It eats tires. Particularly rears. So you have to find your sweet spot of sticky vs miles. I seem to recall the Avons did 2 rears before it needed a front.

I don't live on twistys so YMMV.

Good luck. This bike isn't afraid to turn. You just have to convince her a little more.

Welcome. I liked the Avon's. They got pretty good mileage as I recall. That's the biggest challenge you will have with the Busa. It eats tires. Particularly rears. So you have to find your sweet spot of sticky vs miles. I seem to recall the Avons did 2 rears before it needed a front.

I don't live on twistys so YMMV.

Good luck. This bike isn't afraid to turn. You just have to convince her a little more.
Thanks. I've used the Avons on several bike, and love them. They are a great combintation of sticky and mileage, and yes, two rears to one front. I traditionally have gotten 5-7K on the rear, 8-10K on the front. If I get close to that on the Hayabusa I'll be happy.
The bike likes to turn MUCH better on the Avons!

Thanks. I've used the Avons on several bike, and love them. They are a great combintation of sticky and mileage, and yes, two rears to one front. I traditionally have gotten 5-7K on the rear, 8-10K on the front. If I get close to that on the Hayabusa I'll be happy.
The bike likes to turn MUCH better on the Avons!

You’re only a couple hours away from Yosemite and the surrounding foothills.
102A40DA-E69A-4D5B-84F0-BCCE68852DF0.jpeg
76B2CD9F-CE98-4660-9B25-AEFC126B2975.jpeg
E7FA25C7-DC84-49AD-9A87-10CE0416D13E.jpg

Back