New owner with a couple questions

adlanders95

Registered
I just recently pick up my first busa on a trade. Definitely have been caught by the bug. The previous owner told me it was due for a service so i did it and found a few things i had questions about.

Figured i throw a pic of the truck i traded and a few pics of the bike

I have a couple questions about the sprocket and the cush drive.

1. When doing the service i was adjusting the chain and noticed the rear sprocket would move back and forth about an 1/8th inch toward and away from the wheel. Im assuming i need new cush drive dampners, should i go with the KPS CUSH DRIVE KITS dampers.

2. Does this sprocket look to be worn excessive? If so does this look like a good set? Im thinking of going with a 18/42 gear to make it easier on the chain. The bike ha a power commander, stainless exhaust, air filter and was told to be dyno tuned. I also think this will move the chain higher off of my swing arm, because there are a few rub marks. I think this gearing would be good for street riding and i may order a 17 tooth sprocket for when i go to the track.
530 Chain Kit - SUPERLITE RS7 Steel Sprocket Set with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - SUZUKI HAYABUSA '99-07
Anyone have a recomendation on what chain to get? Should i order 150 or 160 link?

Also does anyone know what swing arm this is i was told its a 10" stretch? thanks

10626636_750051411708196_8245673056113917466_n.jpg

10629766_750051375041533_2546475346298621503_n.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

00d0d_1LGZpaNLCqa_600x450.jpg

drive.jpg

sprocket.jpg

unnamed.jpg

1) Sweet-Lookin' truck.
2) Sweeter-lookin' bike.

Sounds to me like the rear cush drive/dampers need to be replaced. Mine did the same thing when I got mine, and when I replaced them, there was no more movement at all. I went with an aftermarket set, not OEM. I'm not sure if it matters unless you're planning to take it to the track. Aftermarket cush drives are stiffer than OEM, which... apparently... everyone likes.

Sprocket is definitely worn. They aren't expensive to replace. Steel sprockets are heavier, but last longer. I can't speak for the set that you posted- I don't have enough miles/years riding under my belt. Regarding the chain, I went with EK's ZVX3. Tensile strength was pretty high, so I think I'll get some miles out of it.

I also changed the front sprocket. Make sure you do your homework on changing it, because it's a pain- doable, but a pain. I almost ruined my sprocket because I put too much pressure on the center bolt and broke it off. Learn from my mistake! I know there are people around here who know lots more than me... I'm looking forward to seeing other responses to your question.

Congrats on the bike!

Edit- I didn't almost ruin the "sprocket"... I ruined the bolt that holds the sprocket on, and got lucky and was able to remove the bolt without drilling it out.

I just recently pick up my first busa on a trade. Definitely have been caught by the bug. The previous owner told me it was due for a service so i did it and found a few things i had questions about.

Figured i throw a pic of the truck i traded and a few pics of the bike

I have a couple questions about the sprocket and the cush drive.

1. When doing the service i was adjusting the chain and noticed the rear sprocket would move back and forth about an 1/8th inch toward and away from the wheel. Im assuming i need new cush drive dampners, should i go with the KPS CUSH DRIVE KITS dampers.

2. Does this sprocket look to be worn excessive? If so does this look like a good set? Im thinking of going with a 18/42 gear to make it easier on the chain. The bike ha a power commander, stainless exhaust, air filter and was told to be dyno tuned. I also think this will move the chain higher off of my swing arm, because there are a few rub marks. I think this gearing would be good for street riding and i may order a 17 tooth sprocket for when i go to the track.
530 Chain Kit - SUPERLITE RS7 Steel Sprocket Set with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - SUZUKI HAYABUSA '99-07
Anyone have a recomendation on what chain to get? Should i order 150 or 160 link?

Also does anyone know what swing arm this is i was told its a 10" stretch? thanks

Cool looking S10!

Yes, you need to replace the cush drive rubbers.

That sprocket is done, the front is probably even worse. For the type of chain you'll get many different opinions, I prefer the DID 530 ZVMX chains since after the first adjustment they almost never stretch.

When the sprocket starts to get hooked like that they will tear up a chain pretty quick. I am a fan of the EK50ZZZ chain myself, very strong and I haven't had problems with them stretching even with big CC/high HP bikes. The arm looks like a Macintosh based on the side bracing, not sure if they do the slider blocks with different length axle holes or not. Looks to me to be set up for 10-12 inches of extension but I may be wrong. Measure the chain on there and see how many links it has.

Sweet bridge city tool works! They make some sweet high end tools! I'm a Starrett guy myself...:thumbsup:

Thinking of going with 18/43 instead of my 17/41 now, and switch to a 17/43 if i go to the track, anyone else ever run this gearing?

I have an 05 and Im also thinking of going with 16/42 it seems to be the most common with drag racing. I have stock gears now which are 17/40 and my best time was 10.20, it was also my 5th pass I have ever made. I weigh bout 150 lbs and 5'7 tall. One guy at the track said there is no way my bike is stock if I did that kind of time. I dunno I was kinda disappointed, I thot id go quicker.

I run a 17/43 for track days, and around town. If I travel any distance, I put on an 18 tooth front sprocket, and it takes it back to stock ratio.

Back